Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Sponsorship Advice - Inland or Outland?

Spousal Sponsorship Advice - Inland or Outland?

Old Aug 31st 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

hopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of lighthopeintoronto is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spousal Sponsorship Advice - Inland or Outland?

Hi guys!

Just seeking some advice on whether to pursue inland or Outland route for spousal sponsorship.

I'm currently on my 2nd year IEC visa, which expires May 28th 2014. My Canadian husband and I were recently married on July 20th, and so we will be applying for the sponsorship of a spouse option. We are just waiting for our marriage to be registered in Ontario and therefore do not have our official marriage certificate yet (any advice on speeding up this process would also be appreciated).

I know applying Outland through the UK is much quicker and therefore was initially considering this route. Nonetheless with the inland application, if we reach the AIP (approval in principle) stage by the end of May, then staying in Canada on the spousal open work permit while we wait for PR to come through could also work. Does anyone know typical timelines for getting through to the AIP stage??

Would appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship Advice - Inland or Outland?

Originally Posted by hopeintoronto
Hi guys!

Just seeking some advice on whether to pursue inland or Outland route for spousal sponsorship.

I'm currently on my 2nd year IEC visa, which expires May 28th 2014. My Canadian husband and I were recently married on July 20th, and so we will be applying for the sponsorship of a spouse option. We are just waiting for our marriage to be registered in Ontario and therefore do not have our official marriage certificate yet (any advice on speeding up this process would also be appreciated).

I know applying Outland through the UK is much quicker and therefore was initially considering this route. Nonetheless with the inland application, if we reach the AIP (approval in principle) stage by the end of May, then staying in Canada on the spousal open work permit while we wait for PR to come through could also work. Does anyone know typical timelines for getting through to the AIP stage??

Would appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks!
AIP for inland applications currently take 10 months. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

By the time you had AIP (inland) you should already be a PR (outland).

Regarding your marriage certificate, I would suggest enclosing a copy of the one you were given at the ceremony and make a note on your application that you will forward the official registered one as soon as you receive it.

I would not wait - by the time you have completed all the documentation and got the medical and police checks done, the chances are your marriage certificate will have arrived anyway.

If you submit in the next couple of weeks you will get sponsorship approval within 4 weeks (from Mississauga) and the PR application 'should' be finalised before May.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:12 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Sponsorship Advice - Inland or Outland?

Just to add to what Siouxie said, I agree that outland is probably the faster way to go, you'll have PR by the time your inland work permit would arrive. If you start getting your application together now, you can send it off as soon as you receive your marriage certificate and you might just about squeeze in having your PR granted before your IEC expires. The quoted processing time on the website for outland apps is 10 months, but if you look at the spreadsheet linked in my signature, most people seem to be getting it in about 6-7 (those are mostly striaght forward cases - genuine relationships, no criminal history, etc etc).

Good luck!