Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Soft Landing - goods to follow and goods accompanying

Soft Landing - goods to follow and goods accompanying

Old Apr 15th 2019, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

L0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Soft Landing - goods to follow and goods accompanying

Hi,
We are doing a soft landing in Vancouver this week and activating my partners COPR. YAY!

I've read the helpful wiki on goods to follow https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada ....but have some questions.

We will have a goods to follow and a goods to accompany list prepared incase we are asked to produce one at our soft landing.
We are selling most of our processions when we arrive back in the UK after our trip to Canada and will only be re-entering and settling in Canada with our suitcase. However we want a goods to follow list in case we change our minds and get a shipping container.

What I'm unsure of is for our trip this week we have a small suitcase each with items for our hols which will be itemised on our accompanying goods list. When we return to settle, we'll have additional suitcases and more items than we had on our original goods to accompany list. However, these extra items would have been listed on our goods to follow list previously. Will this cause us problems when we arrive to settle in Canada? Does this matter? Or am I just worrying over nothing?
Or do I need to add the items we will be bringing when we do eventually settle on our goods to accompany list even if we don't have them with us on our soft landing this week? I'm so confused.

Old Apr 15th 2019, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soft Landing - goods to follow and goods accompanying

Originally Posted by L0VE
Hi,
We are doing a soft landing in Vancouver this week and activating my partners COPR. YAY!

I've read the helpful wiki on goods to follow https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow-Canada ....but have some questions.

We will have a goods to follow and a goods to accompany list prepared incase we are asked to produce one at our soft landing.
We are selling most of our processions when we arrive back in the UK after our trip to Canada and will only be re-entering and settling in Canada with our suitcase. However we want a goods to follow list in case we change our minds and get a shipping container.

What I'm unsure of is for our trip this week we have a small suitcase each with items for our hols which will be itemised on our accompanying goods list. When we return to settle, we'll have additional suitcases and more items than we had on our original goods to accompany list. However, these extra items would have been listed on our goods to follow list previously. Will this cause us problems when we arrive to settle in Canada? Does this matter? Or am I just worrying over nothing?
Or do I need to add the items we will be bringing when we do eventually settle on our goods to accompany list even if we don't have them with us on our soft landing this week? I'm so confused.
so you are 'landing to declare PR' soon, then will return home to sell up etc. then 'land as settler' at a later date.

Landing to declare PR is as defined by CIC / IRCC. Landing as settler is as defined by CBSA. They are two different things that can either happen on the same occasion, OR you can do them on two separate occasions (but you must of course land for pr first).

You can only do the goods accompanying / goods to follow thing when you 'land as settler' and so it can only be done once and once only, even if you bring your stuff over in dribs and drabs, you must list everything on one of the two lists. I suspect you are saying that you will leave stuff in Canada that you are bringing on your soft landing? Fine, just make sure you list the stuff on your later goods accompanying list.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Apr 15th 2019 at 11:57 am.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

L0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond reputeL0VE has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Hurlabrick
thank you for the reply

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
so you are 'landing to declare PR' soon, then will return home to sell up etc. then 'land as settler' at a later date.
yes we are

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I suspect you are saying that you will leave stuff in Canada that you are bringing on your soft landing? Fine, just make sure you list the stuff on your later goods accompanying list..
No we are not.

I have read conflicting info on the good to accompany and follow. I understand we are not settling so don't need them however I've read that sometimes they are requested. Hence I'm getting them completed asap.
What concerned me is if we do get asked for them, and they get stamped, even though we are not settling , the goods to accompany list will look different for our hols compared to when we return to settle.
Or am I correct in believing that if items are on the goods to follow list and we bring them over in suitcases when we settle, as long as they were on the goods to follow list when we did the soft landing we don't have to worry? Is that correct?
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't entirely follow what you think the problem is - but it sounds like you're concerned about bringing things into Canada, having declared that you will bring them into Canada?

You can list things as 'goods to follow' and subsequently bring them in. That's the point of the goods to follow list. It doesn't matter if you're shipping them by container, or having them arrive in the same plane you're travelling by.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I don't entirely follow what you think the problem is - but it sounds like you're concerned about bringing things into Canada, having declared that you will bring them into Canada?

You can list things as 'goods to follow' and subsequently bring them in. That's the point of the goods to follow list. It doesn't matter if you're shipping them by container, or having them arrive in the same plane you're travelling by.
Yes, your right you understand my concern. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I think I'm over complicating and worrying about it too much. lol
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there - exciting times ahead

Basically anything you think you might bring to Canada at anytime in the future goes on your goods to follow list (even if you might never bring it at all) Make it an all encompassing list, rather than specifics - you only need to get specific when it comes to high value items, jewellery and electronics - other than that, generic descriptions are fine!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 15th 2019 at 4:44 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Suzi! I so need that cup in my life!