Skilled Worker route

Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

brit_burrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Worker route

I am at the very early stages of investigating possible immigration to Canada (and BC specifically) and as myself and the OH have no family in Canada or job offers, we would need to go the skilled worker route.

I am 30 and work as a quantity surveyor with 3 1/2 years experience, educated to undergrad level. OH is a primary teacher (34 years old) with 6 years experience, also educated to undergrad level. We have two children, one at 7 the other at 2 years old.

Any advice from those with experience in such matters or specifically with dealing with skilled worker visa apications would be most appreciated - I.e. do we qualify, what are the job prospects for people in our field(s) of work, what salaries we could expect etc.

Please note that this is very early stage investigation, and I appreciate that much more in depth research is required, but you gotta start somewhere and having read many of the threads here already, I figure this to be a good place to get started (from those with real first hand knowledge).

Thankyou all in anticipation.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker route

Welcome.

www.cic.gc.ca & the wiki on this site are essential reading. Do that and then come back with specific questions & you'll be ok.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Afraid that from what you've said, neither of you qualify as SW's at the moment - here is the list of eligible occupations, and unfortunately neither teachers nor surveyors are on it. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list Unless either of you have done one of those jobs previously? It can be anything you've done in the past 10 years.

Also, if your OH is a teacher, I'd suggest you also read this Wiki article..........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

Looks as if you'll need to either get a job offer approved by HRSDC/invest a large amount of money in a business/go back to studying to get a visa for Canada.

Good luck.

Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I will take that advice, thanks. Only question I have is I cannot see where my profession sits in the "skills list" or indeed if it does at all!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_burrie
Only question I have is I cannot see where my profession sits in the "skills list" or indeed if it does at all!
It doesn't - see my post above!

Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Sheesh! Responses posted as I was typing! Well, this won't be easy, but, as you know, there are excellent resources here.

Briefly - forget the Federal Skilled Worker route as neither yourself or your OH seem to be practicing an occupation on THE LIST - this is the list of occupations for which FSW visas can be issued without prior employment.

This leaves you with limited options if you are intent on making BC you home. The best you could hope for, as I understand, is sponsorship under the BC Provincial Nominee Program. Or you could try getting a job on a Temporary Work Permit and making the application for Permanent Residency within Canada.

Check the Wiki (blue bar at the top) with a cuppa' - you have a lot of reading to do!
Oh - welcome to the group
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou all for the kind welcome and swift advice.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for us then!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

...Only question I have is I cannot see where my profession sits in the "skills list" or indeed if it does at all!
NOC 2234 Construction Estimators is probably the closest one can get to it!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou all for the kind welcome and swift advice.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for us then!
Not quite...take a look at the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream for their PNP - lots of Brits are going through that process.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Not quite...take a look at the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream for their PNP - lots of Brits are going through that process.
I thought of that (and the Manitoba equivalent), but he said they want to go to 'BC specifically' in his first post, so not sure they'd be interested in NS or MB. Cheaper though!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 15th 2011 at 7:59 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

We have a friend in Halifax as it happens, but I have my heart set on BC.

A long road ahead of us possibly. It will happen one day!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a friend in Halifax as it happens, but I have my heart set on BC.

A long road ahead of us possibly. It will happen one day!
Start is NS. When you become citizen move to BC. NS is amazing.