Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Bunac followed by commonlaw sponsorship?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
Bunac followed by commonlaw sponsorship?
V good suggestion. Or a study permit? Find a year long course you want to do, you can at least work part-time and then live together for the year required for your gf to sponsor you for PR?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned by other helpful people, BUNAC is a possibility for you if you're 30 or under. Try here:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

I'll be applying myself in December when they open up the program again.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
I'll be applying myself in December when they open up the program again.
Erm........you've not heard about the recent changes then? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=bunac

Looks like you won't be able to apply until the end of Jan.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Erm........you've not heard about the recent changes then? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=bunac

Looks like you won't be able to apply until the end of Jan.
I've read the news article but honestly didn't think it over. Is the a BUNAC just an IEC then?

Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update: I just had a chat to a very friendly and helpful guy at BUNAC who told me that they've not been told anything about not getting their allocation for non-student visas and that they're still sure they'll be releasing them in the first week of December.

Obviously it's possible that there'll be a change to this (anything's possible!) but BUNAC are saying that it's still open in December.

Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Update: I just had a chat to a very friendly and helpful guy at BUNAC who told me that they've not been told anything about not getting their allocation for non-student visas and that they're still sure they'll be releasing them in the first week of December.

Obviously it's possible that there'll be a change to this (anything's possible!) but BUNAC are saying that it's still open in December.

Very odd, I thought it meant that CIC were going to be doing the program themselves rather than through a third party (or at least that's what PMM said - and he knows everything!!).

We'll have to wait and see I guess.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Very odd, I thought it meant that CIC were going to be doing the program themselves rather than through a third party (or at least that's what PMM said - and he knows everything!!).

We'll have to wait and see I guess.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Steveus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot for telling me about Bunac, it looks like a fantastic idea. I've sent off an email to them asking about applying inside the country. But I also want to ask you guys if they are reliable, and how long it would take to get the visa from them?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:15 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I did not think you could apply for Bunac if you had a Canadian girlfriend/boyfriend? Or did I just imagine this?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I did not think you could apply for Bunac if you had a Canadian girlfriend/boyfriend? Or did I just imagine this?
I think you might be right actually.

I tried looking on BUNAC's website for more details but I think you have to go through the application process before it asks you about that and you have to make a declaration.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Hmm, if so it still grants me a year here to work, but I would need to find out more about that from Bunac. I found out it takes approximately 8-10 weeks to get the visa, and inside applications work according to the programme rules from 2010, but you need to re-enter Canada to activate it.

If you apply in December and send in the visa form straight away, it will be around mid-February when we’re expecting the first visas to start to get issued. It is fine to apply from within Canada; when the work visa arrives you just then have to cross over the border and back into the country to activate it (e.g. by going to the States and back). Assuming nothing changes, you can do this, but we won’t know for definite until December.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:34 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked and you should be okay getting a Bunac as you are not currently in a Common-law relationship.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

I just checked and you should be okay getting a Bunac as you are not currently in a Common-law relationship.
Would sharing the rental costs class as a common law relationship? We have no shared accounts, so perhaps I can just state she is a roommate, which in time.. during the course of the bunac.. "things" happened

Thanks for giving me the heads up about that. I am still deciding on the bunac idea but it does look a good option. It is cutting it veeeerry close though as I'd get the Bunac visa around the time my visitor visa expires. I'll need to submit the police check asap if I go for it.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Steveus
Would sharing the rental costs class as a common law relationship? We have no shared accounts, so perhaps I can just state she is a roommate, which in time.. during the course of the bunac.. "things" happened

Thanks for giving me the heads up about that. I am still deciding on the bunac idea but it does look a good option. It is cutting it veeeerry close though as I'd get the Bunac visa around the time my visitor visa expires. I'll need to submit the police check asap if I go for it.
Common-law status kicks in after you have been living together for 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.