Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Steveus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I've been in Ontario for 3 months as a visitor trying to make it in Canada and find employment as a skilled worker. So far it’s been hard but I've kept at it, cold calling, applications in person / online (Workopolis / Monster etc) and visiting job fairs and the like. I just have a few questions for all you other people that made it here this way.

I got all my education from the UK, (bachelors degree with honours in Computing) and moved to Canada with limited savings to last a little, with additional support from my parents. My reasons for moving here are that my girlfriend (a Canadian citizen) studies here currently, and I have finished my degree in the UK looking to start off here with her.

Firstly, I find it very hard currently to find an employer that is interested enough to help me with the Job offer letter and LMO approval. I made the mistake of telling the first interviewer that I needed the work permit, as most expect you to already have some sort of citizenship / work permit, however somebody has to make the first move for that to happen. I had not underestimated this however, but would like to ask if it was this hard for any of you to get this first door open. I feel applying overseas would make it a great deal harder to get a job than it would if you are here.

Additionally, for all that made it through the skilled worker program, how long did it take you British expats to obtain the work permit here, and have you tried to look for work while inside Canada as a visitor before? Also is there a high chance that my application would be accepted as a skilled worker, with my degree and an offer in say a small computer repair business or retail outlet?

I have heard the minimum time it takes to get a work permit is around 3 months, which is all I have left as a visitor and I am struggling to find other ways to stay here and find employment. I know of the provincial nominee program.

Any tips or help in getting computing jobs and/or the work permit would be greatly appreciated, as I am running out of time and considering taking the return flight back next month and work in England again before coming back here to give it another shot. Also if any of you suggest a better route I should take, feel free to comment.

Steveus.

Last edited by Steveus; Nov 10th 2010 at 10:37 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:47 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker Program - Ontario, Canada

Originally Posted by Steveus
Hello,

I've been in Ontario for 3 months as a visitor trying to make it in Canada and find employment as a skilled worker. So far it’s been hard but I've kept at it, cold calling, applications in person / online (Workopolis / Monster etc) and visiting job fairs and the like. I just have a few questions for all you other people that made it here this way.

I got all my education from the UK, (bachelors degree with honours in Computing) and moved to Canada with limited savings to last a little, with additional support from my parents. My reasons for moving here are that my girlfriend (a Canadian citizen) studies here currently, and I have finished my degree in the UK looking to start off here with her.

Firstly, I find it very hard currently to find an employer that is interested enough to help me with the Job offer letter and LMO approval. I made the mistake of telling the first interviewer that I needed the work permit, as most expect you to already have some sort of citizenship / work permit, however somebody has to make the first move for that to happen. I had not underestimated this however, but would like to ask if it was this hard for any of you to get this first door open. I feel applying overseas would make it a great deal harder to get a job than it would if you are here.

Additionally, for all that made it through the skilled worker program, how long did it take you British expats to obtain the work permit here, and have you tried to look for work while inside Canada as a visitor before? Also is there a high chance that my application would be accepted as a skilled worker, with my degree and an offer in say a small computer repair business or retail outlet?

I have heard the minimum time it takes to get a work permit is around 3 months, which is all I have left as a visitor and I am struggling to find other ways to stay here and find employment. I know of the provincial nominee program.

Any tips or help in getting computing jobs and/or the work permit would be greatly appreciated, as I am running out of time and considering taking the return flight back next month and work in England again before coming back here to give it another shot. Also if any of you suggest a better route I should take, feel free to comment.

Steveus.
How long have you and your girlfriend lived together?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

This is the first time we are (officially) renting a place toghether and living there, but we have both been toghether for over 2 years in a relationship. We met in England at college, and have been in a long distance relationship until now (with me / her visiting every 6 months or so). Thanks for your quick reply.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:59 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first time we are (officially) renting a place toghether and living there, but we have both been toghether for over 2 years in a relationship. We met in England at college, and have been in a long distance relationship until now (with me / her visiting every 6 months or so). Thanks for your quick reply.
Have you considered the obvious first idea of getting married or is that not a goer at the moment?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

We both arent ready for that yet, but yes I know that would certainly be the easiest option. I was wondering how long it would take before someone proposed that, you didnt dissapoint
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

You also needs to get your UK qualifications assessed by an official equivalency department (HRDC) will put you in the right direction.....Where in Ontario are you?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

We both arent ready for that yet, but yes I know that would certainly be the easiest option. I was wondering how long it would take before someone proposed that, you didnt dissapoint
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes at AmyDavid. It's a reasonable question and far more likely to get you into Canada than the current plan, considering we're in a recession, employers have to get an LMO which means they have to prove that no other canadian wants and can do your job (meaning it's unlikely a computer repair shop could get you in) etc, etc.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:11 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Also if any of you suggest a better route I should take, feel free to comment.

Steveus.
Oh wait. Why don't you marry your gf?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Currently in St Catharines, and yes I know, It was a decent question to ask, and it would work, but its something thats not on the cards yet. Thanks for all your replies.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:14 pm

Currently in St Catharines, and yes I know, It was a decent question to ask, and it would work, but its something thats not on the cards yet. Thanks for all your replies.
okay, fair enough.

Hopefully someone else has a better plan.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Why not use one of the immigration options open to everyone else ( See the Wiki at the top of the page ) ?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:27 am

Trying to help someone who you don't know anything about is a process of elimination. The obvious place to start is to ask whether marriage has been considered. As you did not state "WE DO NOT WANT TO GET MARRIED" it was my first suggestion.

My suggestion now would be read the Wiki and perhaps be a bit more gracious next time you ask for some help.

Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Sorry to offend, I had not meant that response in a bad way, your right I didnt clearly state marraige was not an option, and I should if i knew someone would ask this. I just wanted to see if others in the same situation had any insight into this.

Thanks for your reply nonetheless.

Steveus.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:42 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to offend, I had not meant that response in a bad way, your right I didnt clearly state marraige was not an option, and I should if i knew someone would ask this. I just wanted to see if others in the same situation had any insight into this.

Thanks for your reply nonetheless.

Steveus.
I refer you to post #11, sit back and take a read.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:46 am
Just Joined

I'll take a good look through, Cheers Tangram / Amy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.