Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker PR Visa, help please

Skilled Worker PR Visa, help please

Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker PR Visa, help please

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
If he can get himself a job then then they could all come over on TWP. If he can also get PNP then that is a quicker route and can work here whilst PR is being processed.
Yes, but a job isn't needed, so I can't see why anybody would put themselves through the stress of trying to find a job and sponsorship when it's not required to get a visa. Plus with kids, it's far from secure, so I'd want to go with PR rather than a TWP that ties you to one employer, and then he'd be employment authorised straight away too, so much more attractive to employers.

But I was asking about the job hunting because there may be a specific reason for it, and perhaps the OP's husband isn't eligible for FSW cat 1 after all.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

I guess it depends how quickly they want to get over here. If they want to just apply for PR and they are happy to wait for a really long time then that's cool.

We have PNP and the process has been easy. PR has been applied for and we should get it in approx 6 months - but then I think we have been really lucky.

You're right though, maybe they don't come under the right category for FSW - who knows

Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends how quickly they want to get over here. If they want to just apply for PR and they are happy to wait for a really long time then that's cool.
Why 'a really long time'? Applying for PR as FSW could well be quicker than trying to get a TWP! By the time they've found an employer prepared to go through the hassle etc of sponsoring them, then sat whatever equivalency exams are needed for nurses, then got the LMO, then applied for TWP (including having a medical which will add a month or two to the processing time) I can't see how the timeframe is going to be much different.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

You don't need LMO for PNP, so that cuts out a big chunk of time. We had medicals for our TWP - they took a week, so no time at all really. We got our TWP within 6 weeks. PNP took 3 months here in Nova Scotia and then 6 months for London. 9 months total. From what I've read elsewhere FSW seems to take a lot longer than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's just an option to consider - might not be for everyone, but having a job offer can only help and from people I've met here they tell me medical institutions are more used to sponsoring people and getting the paperwork done.

Like I said, we were lucky and I wish them the best of luck too.

Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You don't need LMO for PNP, so that cuts out a big chunk of time. We had medicals for our TWP - they took a week, so no time at all really. We got our TWP within 6 weeks. PNP took 3 months here in Nova Scotia and then 6 months for London. 9 months total. From what I've read elsewhere FSW seems to take a lot longer than that, but maybe I'm wrong.
Nope, it's currently only taking around a year or so to get PR as FSW - you're probably looking at threads from those that applied prior to the changes in June 2010.

Plus things have obviously changed since you applied for your TWP (how long ago was it?), meds will now add a couple of months, plus TWP's take 8-10 weeks minimum rather than the 6 when you applied. Things change so often in immigration!

Out of interest, where are you getting your 6 month timeframe for PR via PNP from? I've not seen any take less than 9-12 months, so that's incredibly quick. When did you apply?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

We got our TWP in April - it took 6 weeks and the meds took a week. They sent us the paperwork, we booked an appointment and the results were with London 3 days after the tests.

PR we applied for in Feb and were told 6 months as it was PNP - it might take longer, who knows! It's all pretty recent though, especially the TWP's.

Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

We got our TWP in April - it took 6 weeks and the meds took a week. They sent us the paperwork, we booked an appointment and the results were with London 3 days after the tests.
That is incredibly quick, and very unusual. Definitely not typical, so wouldn't use that as a guide for anybody else.

PR we applied for in Feb and were told 6 months as it was PNP - it might take longer, who knows! It's all pretty recent though, especially the TWP's.
Who told you 6 months out of interest? Just checked, and CIC website currently says 11 months for PNP, which I'd say is about right. Fingers crossed for you it's nearer 6 months though!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

The people in London. It was 6 months when we applied - it might take longer, but doesn't really matter. We're out here already and it's just waiting for paperwork.

Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:07 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The people in London. It was 6 months when we applied - it might take longer, but doesn't really matter. We're out here already and it's just waiting for paperwork.

Here are the current processing times for PNP for 80% of the applications:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ial.asp#europe Note London is 11 months, while FSW1 is 16 months.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

But if you go to the London office page it still says 6 months for PNP and no average for FSW applications after 2008, but not to contact before 9 - 12 months.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...raitement.aspx

So who knows, I guess it's just the game of wait and see