Skilled worker immigration query

Old Feb 10th 2019, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Diesel123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled worker immigration query

Please can I have some guidance, myself and my partner wish to move to BC permanently. I have read through the welcomeBC website in great detail along with the CIC website which I find incredibly confusing. My initial thought was to use an immigration lawyer for guidance but I'm aware the general consensus on here is that they are a waste of time so I thought I would ask for your guidance. My basic situation is my partner is a carpenter by trade, has been for 20+ years. He is 40 and we have been together for 20yrs but not married. We wish to move to a small town in the Columbia valley as we have been many times and have friends and support in the town which we feel important when moving to a new country. We do not have a job offer and do not need one to start with. This is where the issue seems to arise as I cannot find a route without a job offer. The express entry seems to have two options both of which require a job offer and we do not seem to fall under the other options. My partner has taken the Elts exam so already has this under his belt but it's just knowing which direction to go. My cousin immigrated 4 yrs ago as an engineer and used the federal skilled route, again they didn't have a job offer and didn't need to work for 6 months but I assume the process has now changed. When you carry out the 'ways to immigrate' option on the welcomeBC website it just states we are not eligible for express entry but doesn't give any other option. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled worker immigration query

From a brief overview you would need to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker or Federal Skilled Trades.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

The BC PNP route requires a job offer from a BC employer.
Carpenters are a regulated trade so would need to be certified by challenging the exam for that trade NOC code 7271 for carpenter or 7204 in the supervisory carpenter role.

https://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentic...llenging-exams

BCPNP

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...ominee-Program
If no job offer then you are stuck with the FSW or FST routes.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

If you don't have a job offer then I'd forget the BC PNP.

Originally Posted by Diesel123
The express entry seems to have two options both of which require a job offer and we do not seem to fall under the other options.
EE doesn't require a job offer, not sure where you're reading that? It's simply a points based system.

When you carry out the 'ways to immigrate' option on the welcomeBC website it just states we are not eligible for express entry but doesn't give any other option. Any guidance would be appreciated.
As above, forget the Welcome BC website, as you don't have a job offer so the PNP isn't an option. You need to apply under a Federal route (i.e. EE), so have a look at the CIC website and eligibility test (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html) and see what that says.

HTH.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Diesel123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your replies. I realise now that I completely misread the cic website. After reading in depth the welcomebc website and understanding their need for job offers I overlooked the either/or option regarding job offer or sufficient funds. However while I realise this is on a points system, without a job offer and Canadian education we struggle for points and I have only calculated 55 points which is less than the minimum.
I note the other option regarding certified by challenging the exam which certifies my partner as a carpenter but I understand the exam is something that is taken in Canada and again this website it a complete minefield.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

However while I realise this is on a points system, without a job offer and Canadian education we struggle for points and I have only calculated 55 points which is less than the minimum.
Calculated 55 points on what test? That's not the Express Entry points system - of it if is, it's the lowest points I've ever seen by about 200! Did you use the link I gave you and if so, what did it say?

I think you're getting various different routes to PR mixed up, forget PNP, focus on the FST route as it's the only one that is applicable from what you've said?
Old Feb 10th 2019, 10:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Full details (for Carpenter) on the link for BC
https://www.itabc.ca/program/carpenter
https://www.itabc.ca/apply-apprentic...llenging-exams
If you have significant work experience in a trade but have never been certified in Canada, you may apply to challenge the certification.
If your partner has 9000+ hours of provable experience then it shouldn't be too difficult to challenge for Carpenter - if there's an exam he could fly over to sit it if necessary. Once he has his Provincial Certificate of Qualification (don't get that confused with Red Seal - which is an endorsement ON the Provincial C o Q) you could then apply under FSW Trades (Express Entry) where the points needed to get an invite are much lower. In BC I believe Carpenter is not a compulsory (regulated) trade at present but is a voluntary regulated one so worth him getting his C o Q to find it easier to get work there anyway!

More on the above: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...ic.asp?st=29.7

Do follow the very helpful advice christmasoompa has given you - she knows her stuff!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 11th 2019 at 12:54 am.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:15 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

For clarity, a regulated occupation is one that has a regulatory body that oversees members, such as Lawyers, Accountants, Realtors, Engineers
Some trades are required to be licensed, some not. https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/certification
Non regulated trades, such as plumbers, carpenters, electricians are compulsory certification in some provinces, some are optional.
Carpenter is voluntary certification in all provinces other than Quebec.

This explains it fairly well
https://www.alberta.ca/regulated-occ...ns-trades.aspx

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/occupationsearch

Last edited by Aviator; Feb 11th 2019 at 12:18 am.