Self Employed Plumber

Old May 18th 2011, 4:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed Plumber

Originally Posted by riccosuabe
to actually work in canada as a plumber is a different story as you need roughly seven years experience to get the red seal thats not including any form of being an apprentice (absurd if you ask me as most modern Apprenticeships are 4 years and most start at 17 so all in all to be a qualified plumber in canada you need to be at the minimum 28 years old and have 11 years experience???? crazy!!).
Just to add, how do you work this out? Not sure how you've got to 11 years experience needed - assuming a work week of 40 hrs a week, that's over 2000 hrs a year and only 9600 are needed for the Red Seal aren't they? So that's only 4.5 or so years experience required. Even with a 4 year apprenticeship, starting at age 16/17, that means you'd be eligible at age 24/25, not 28.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to add, how do you work this out? Not sure how you've got to 11 years experience needed - assuming a work week of 40 hrs a week, that's over 2000 hrs a year and only 9600 are needed for the Red Seal aren't they? So that's only 4.5 or so years experience required. Even with a 4 year apprenticeship, starting at age 16/17, that means you'd be eligible at age 24/25, not 28.
a lad i worked with went over to canada and he said he had to prove 7 years to get it and that didnt include his apprenticeship years.so thats 4 years apprentice plus 7 years experience.even having to wait till your 25 as you said,thats a long time to get qualified.most lads here are qualified at 21 who go into it straight from school (some earlier if they fast track).

Last edited by riccosuabe; May 18th 2011 at 7:18 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

a lad i worked with went over to canada and he said he had to prove 7 years to get it and that didnt include his apprenticeship years.
It's done by hours, not years - and it's 9600 hrs for plumbers. So, as I said above, going on an average 40 hour week, that's 4.5 years rather than 7. Plus you can work as a plumber in Canada without the Red Seal, so it's not like you can't work at all until you've done those hours!

The Red Seal website has all the info and requirements on it.

Old May 18th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Plus you can work as a plumber in Canada without the Red Seal, so it's not like you can't work at all until you've done those hours!

yeah i just looked at the site and looked at the hours and your right.you say you dont have to be red seal to work as a plumber? do you mean as an apprentice? i became confused as a lot of canadian employers were advertising for plumbers with experience of 2 years or more ,then i thought you have to have 4.5 years for red seal? so surely you dont "have to" have it to work as they constantly advertise for people with less experience and never mention red seal in the adverts?
Old May 18th 2011, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah i just looked at the site and looked at the hours and your right.you say you dont have to be red seal to work as a plumber? do you mean as an apprentice? i became confused as a lot of canadian employers were advertising for plumbers with experience of 2 years or more ,then i thought you have to have 4.5 years for red seal? so surely you dont "have to" have it to work as they constantly advertise for people with less experience and never mention red seal in the adverts?
I don't believe you *have* to have Red Seal to work as a plumber, but best thing to do is ask in the Plumbers section of the forum and they'll be able to tell you for sure.

Old May 18th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/man...play=regulated

do look here for the plumber qualification

..it depends on the provinces if you can work without red seal
Old May 18th 2011, 9:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

For most trades in Canada you do a four year apprenticeship and at the end of you become a journeyman. For some trades this is the red seal, for others an inter-provincial ticket. More or less the same thing.

You don't need to have the red seal or inter-provincial ticket to work in many trades, just that you will technically be considered as unqualified and have to work under the supervision of a qualified journeyman or master.

Immigrants with the required number of post qualification experience hours may challenge the red seal exams (i.e. take the exams without re-doing an apprenticeship). As long as they pass they will have journeyman status.

An immigrant without the required number of hours of post qualification experience must become an apprentice. Even if you have to start at the bottom, as long as you pass your exams, accrue the necessary hours work (in cabinet making in BC it is 6,600 hours during the four-year apprenticeship) and are signed off by a supervising journeyman you can gain journeyman status within four years.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:54 am
Just Joined

wannabeacanadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

my husband is a water & waste water engineer since the year 2000. during the years 2005-2009 he was self employed and worked as a plumber but not only as a plumber - he also gave engineering services in his field of profession (water & waste water )
my husband never went to "study" the profession of plumber and has no certification (would that be a problem ? )

my question is : can he apply for immigration to canada based on his work experience as a plumber in these 3 years ?

what proves does he have to provide ?

thank you

Last edited by wannabeacanadian; Oct 10th 2011 at 7:07 am.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Not quite, to be consider as a plumber NOC 7251 you must meet the following:

Completion of secondary school is usually required.

Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program
or
A combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in plumbing is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.

After 1 year, CHC won't see you as a plumber.
Originally Posted by wannabeacanadian
Hi

my husband is a water & waste water engineer since the year 2000. during the years 2005-2009 he was self employed and worked as a plumber but not only as a plumber - he also gave engineering services in his field of profession (water & waste water )
my husband never went to "study" the profession of plumber and has no certification (would that be a problem ? )

my question is : can he apply for immigration to canada based on his work experience as a plumber in these 3 years ?

what proves does he have to provide ?

thank you
Based on PMM's post quoted above yours, it seems as though it may present a problem. Even without trade certification / apprentiveship - it seems as though he needs (along with his 3 years experience) at least 2 years worth of some sort of schooling, training etc.

As has been rehashed here on this thread - to apply as fsw you need training and w/e to be considered in your chosen trade.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

also bear in mind that even with the necessary evidence as mentioned , he will still need to score 67 points.
R
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

well, my husband can score 67 points, but how can he prove work experience if he was self employed ? a letter from his accountant might help ?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

well, my husband can score 67 points, but how can he prove work experience if he was self employed ? a letter from his accountant might help ?
If you do a quick search of the forum, you'll find the answer to that question from previous threads - but put simply, he'll need references from clients and things like company documents. I'd also re-read MandyMoochips response above to see if you think he would be eligible from what she's said.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

what MandyMoochips mentioned is the Employment requirements ! and as far as I know in the FSW stream you have to prove work experience and score 67 points - I'm not sure if they check weather you meet the Employment requirements or not - maybe the canadian employer would want to check that but not CIC !! am I right ?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:52 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

what MandyMoochips mentioned is the Employment requirements ! and as far as I know in the FSW stream you have to prove work experience and score 67 points - I'm not sure if they check weather you meet the Employment requirements or not - maybe the canadian employer would want to check that but not CIC !! am I right ?
What Mandymoochops mentioned was to re-read PMM's (a Very, if not the most, knowledgeable person on here) post.

It states that the rules, if you are not a fully qualified (ie apprenticeship etc) plumber, require a COMBINATION OF SOME FORM OF SCHOOLING to marry up with his work experience.

If I were you and were thinking of applying then get himself off to night school and do a years course - this would (along with the year that he'll be working further) give the 5 year combined experience / schooling requirement
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

ps if CIC ask for it - they check it - thouroughly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.