Self Employed Plumber

Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed Plumber

Hello,

I have recently become a plumber (self employed). I am 46 years old.
Do I still need to have 5 years (9600 hours) experience before i can apply for immigration?
How do I prove how many hours I work because being self employed the work comes in at fairly scattered times?? And obiviously things being what they are work is hard to come by.
Is there a route I should consider?
thanks
Russell
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed Plumber

Originally Posted by borgman
Hello,

Do I still need to have 5 years (9600 hours) experience before i can apply for immigration?
How do I prove how many hours I work because being self employed the work comes in at fairly scattered times?? And obiviously things being what they are work is hard to come by.
thanks
Russell
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

You can apply for immigration at any time, but if you are considering applying as a Skilled Worker (as plumbers on the list of 29 eligible occupations) then you must have worked at least one year full-time in the qualifying occupation.

So it will depend on how recently you became a plumber, and whether you've done one year full-time (or the part-time equivalent) - if not, you won't be eligible.

The hours you refer to are for Red Seal, which is nothing to do with immigration, and is not required to apply for a visa, but may be required to work as a plumber (I don't know enough about it, but a quick forum search for 'Red Seal' and 'plumber' will bring up relevant threads with info in).

Hope that helps a bit, good luck. And if you need clarification on anything, then have a look at the Wiki (blue bar at top of page) as that will probably answer most of your questions.

Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

thanks
Russell
As has been mentioned, the 9600 hours experience is required to challenge the Red Seal qualification, which is done through a provincial training authority. If you are self employed you have to fill in and get notarised a self declaration of experience and details of same. You would not get a job as a plumber without the qualification.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:29 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

thanks
Russell
Have you served an apprenticeship? As far as we found the Canadians like 4 years time served to consider an application as a plumber.

Last edited by Falcore; Sep 28th 2010 at 3:30 pm. Reason: Who'd of known apprenticeship was spelt like that!??
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

..where do you want to go in Canada? ..might want to check out the Provincial Nominee Programs, as in some Provinces conditions are different.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

many thanks for your replies.

Only recently got my City and Guilds 6129 level 2 now self employed to get my nvq (would that even be needed?)
The worry I have is the low amount of work I'll probably do, if I only do a few jobs a month would that be sufficent to show 1 years experience?

What about a work permit, would that be a route?

Don't mind where in Canada, BC looks nice so do most of the other provinces, been to Ontario 4 times love it, the people , culture , freedom whole way of life.

Is this a pipe dream (no pun intended) or is this possible at my age??

Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

many thanks for your replies.

Only recently got my City and Guilds 6129 level 2 now self employed to get my nvq (would that even be needed?)
The worry I have is the low amount of work I'll probably do, if I only do a few jobs a month would that be sufficent to show 1 years experience?

What about a work permit, would that be a route?

Don't mind where in Canada, BC looks nice so do most of the other provinces, been to Ontario 4 times love it, the people , culture , freedom whole way of life.

Is this a pipe dream (no pun intended) or is this possible at my age??

Thanks
You still need to be licensed to work as a plumber, which requires 9600 hours (about 5 years full time work) to challenge the Red Seal or have to do the apprenticeship in Canada. For FSW, 1 year experience is full time work, not a job here and there.

Only expats here would have a clue what NVQ is. Canadians would likley send you to a doctor if you tell them you have an NVQ.

I suggest contacting the ITA in BC for some guidance and suggestions. http://www.itabc.ca/site3.aspx

Phone them or better still if you are serious, come out to Canada and meet people, build contacts.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

snowdogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a big risk to emigrate with such little experience. I did 3 years as an apprentice carpenter, once qualified I then went an learned my trade.I finished my course at 20 and think at 25 I was confident I knew my trade.Still learning now.

I work on new houses and you often get guys turn up on site with a bag of tools and no clue, they don't last long.

One guy showed up one day and introduced himself, then asked the agent where all the tools were kept .he had spent all his time working in a joiners shop could have been a good joiner but the agent sent him on his way.

I am not trying to put you off just making you aware really.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Here for the heck of it the Manitoba rules/ regulations (to be found under "work in your trade" at www.immigratemanitoba.com):
To become certified in work in a trade you must pass an exam, or work under supervision and attend training for a period of time called an apprenticeship.

Most trades have voluntary certification. This means you can practise the trade without being certified. However, if you do not become certified you may miss employment opportunities and higher wages in your trade.

In Manitoba, nine trades have compulsory certification – construction and industrial electricians, crane and hoisting equipment operators, electrologist, esthetician, hairstylist, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic, sprinkler system installer, steamfitter-pipefitter. To legally work in a compulsory trade you must be a registered apprentice or a certified journeyperson.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

thanks
Russell
Hi Russell
As mentioned you only have to provide proof of experience (1yr in the last 10yrs ) in your chosen NOC , although additional years of experience will gain extra points.
City & Guilds or NVQ may help with points in the education section of the application. So as long as you have 67 points and 1yrs experience in your chosen NOC plus clean police check / med check / minimum funds and your on the new fsw cat1 list you can apply.
Getting a job as a plumber once you arrive may require a little more work on your part.
I wish you all the best and remember every long journey always starts with the first step

Last edited by joinerboy; Sep 30th 2010 at 8:06 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

r00Perth Murderck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joinerboy
As mentioned you only have to provide proof of experience (1yr in the last 10yrs ) in your chosen NOC , although additional years of experience will gain extra points.
Hi, I have a question, I worked for a last 6 years as Linux programmer, now I want to work full time one year as a plumber and then apply as plumber. How do my exp gonna be counted according FSW?
Old May 9th 2011, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r00Perth Murderck
Hi, I have a question, I worked for a last 6 years as Linux programmer, now I want to work full time one year as a plumber and then apply as plumber. How do my exp gonna be counted according FSW?
Counted for what? You'd get the maximum points for work experience (21) if that's what you are referring to, as you'd have at least four years full-time in a Skilled profession.

But of course, by the time you've trained and worked as a plumber you may not be eligible to apply as FSW under that occupation, as it may no longer be on the list of eligible occupations in demand by then.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Counted for what? You'd get the maximum points for work experience (21) if that's what you are referring to, as you'd have at least four years full-time in a Skilled profession.

But of course, by the time you've trained and worked as a plumber you may not be eligible to apply as FSW under that occupation, as it may no longer be on the list of eligible occupations in demand by then.
I hope I won't waste my year working plumber
Old May 9th 2011, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by r00Perth Murderck
I hope I won't waste my year working plumber
You may well do, if your only reason for doing it is for Canadian immigration - there's no guarantee it will still be on the list by then. Do you also have to train or do a college course first, or are you already a qualified plumber?

And presumably you have looked in to Red Seal? Think you need something like 7000 hrs of work experience for it, so that's something else to consider.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You may well do, if your only reason for doing it is for Canadian immigration - there's no guarantee it will still be on the list by then. Do you also have to train or do a college course first, or are you already a qualified plumber?

And presumably you have looked in to Red Seal? Think you need something like 7000 hrs of work experience for it, so that's something else to consider.
if one year of exp is enough, that's all I need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.