Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

School Reports for citizenship application

School Reports for citizenship application

Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

UK2USA2CA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Reports for citizenship application

My family and I have been PRs since May 2012 and have not left Canada during that time. We aim to apply for citizenship in May of this year, so should just meet the deadline before the new requirements kick in.

My concern is the proof of education/school reports for minors. I have all of this for the 3 years that we have been in Canada but the application asks you to give details for the last 4 years and provide documntatiion to support this. I don’t see why they would need school reports from the UK and USA in my case as their Canadian reports clearly show that they have been present in Canada for 3 out of the last 4 years.

I can give details of the schools they attended but providing school reports at this stage will be difficult. Particularly for the UK as we were only back for a few months.

Is my application likely to be returned if I submit without school reports for time outside of Canada?

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice
Default Re: School Reports for citizenship application

I would send exactly what they ask for otherwise there's every chance your application will be returned (I've heard of applications being returned for less), rules are rules I guess.

I contacted the school in the UK and they were more than happy to provide me with the 4th year reports via email.

You've got a few months to get it sorted, good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Also bear in mind that if your application is returned (probably 3 months or so after submission), you'll also come under the new rules.

Not worth the risk if you ask me.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
I would send exactly what they ask for otherwise there's every chance your application will be returned (I've heard of applications being returned for less), rules are rules I guess.
Really? Is it even legal for CIC to "return" an application, as opposed to accepting the application as valid and asking for additional information to make a decision. IF such information is even relevant to the decision.

Further observation. One can only provide what one has.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 6:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really? Is it even legal for CIC to "return" an application, as opposed to accepting the application as valid and asking for additional information to make a decision. IF such information is even relevant to the decision.

Further observation. One can only provide what one has.
1. Yes, if the application is incomplete, then CIC returns it without processing. see: Section 3 of the Regulations.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 6:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
1. Yes, if the application is incomplete, then CIC returns it without processing. see: Section 3 of the Regulations.
Except that the Regulations do not demand that irrelevant information be provided.
CanLII - Citizenship Regulations, SOR/93-246

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1), the materials required by this section are

(a) a birth certificate or other evidence that establishes the date and place of birth of the applicant;

(b) any document that has been or may be created by the Canadian immigration authorities, or other evidence, that establishes the date on which the applicant was lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;

(c) two photographs of the applicant of the size and type shown on a form prescribed under section 28 of the Act;

(d) evidence that establishes that the applicant has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada; and

(e) evidence that demonstrates that the applicant has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada, including language test results or other evidence that demonstrates that the applicant meets the criteria set out in section 14.

If someone can show 3 years residence in Canada in the last 4, the Regulations do not require (irrelevant) evidence of where they may or may not have been in the fourth year. Especially if that was before the person became a Canadian permanent resident.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

UK2USA2CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies folks. I’ll try to obtain as much information as possible but like I said. My kids didn’t receive school reports for the brief period that we were back in the UK. The US reports should not be a problem though. The way I see it, I’ve nothing to loose by submitting the application this year. Worst case scenario is that they return it as incomplete and I have to wait another year, before applying under the new rules.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by UK2USA2CA
Thanks for all the replies folks. I’ll try to obtain as much information as possible but like I said. My kids didn’t receive school reports for the brief period that we were back in the UK. The US reports should not be a problem though. The way I see it, I’ve nothing to loose by submitting the application this year. Worst case scenario is that they return it as incomplete and I have to wait another year, before applying under the new rules.
They shouldn't do that if evidence of at least 3 years in Canada is provided. Read the Regulations. And in the unlikely event that they did, you would go back to them and tell them to follow their own rules and accept the application.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to start sending in evidence of residence outside Canada. It might just confuse them.