Returning via america

Old Nov 24th 2018, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning via america

Hi all. We soft landed last week and are returning to UK today. We are aiming to return in 2 weeks as we now have an apartment there. Concern is if prtd will be issued on time. I've read that we can instead drive across the border via the US without having prtd.. instead just using copr form and passport.

could anyone confirm if this is still indeed the case? Cic website appears to state it is but wanted to see if anyone on here had done similar with success.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning via america

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Hi all. We soft landed last week and are returning to UK today. We are aiming to return in 2 weeks as we now have an apartment there. Concern is if prtd will be issued on time. I've read that we can instead drive across the border via the US without having prtd.. instead just using copr form and passport.

could anyone confirm if this is still indeed the case? Cic website appears to state it is but wanted to see if anyone on here had done similar with success.
Yes you can do it that way but you would need an ESTA to fly into USA and USCBP could refuse you entry especially if on a one way ticket as legally you cannot end your journey in a contiguous country i.e Canada. USCBP tend to overlook this provided you can satisfy them of status in Canada or onward travel details.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the confirmation. We would have the connecting flight to Calgary pre booked so they should see that we intend to move on towards our location of residence. I imagine a lease agreement would help in this case?

I take it it is still the case that the ETA is deactivated once pr has begun? I tried looking at our status and it came up blank. I asked air Canada here in Calgary to see if it was on our passport still but they didn't seem to know what I was on about. Wondered if the deactivation was immediate as we haven't received an email saying otherwise yet like others have indicated.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the confirmation. We would have the connecting flight to Calgary pre booked so they should see that we intend to move on towards our location of residence. I imagine a lease agreement would help in this case?

I take it it is still the case that the ETA is deactivated once pr has begun? I tried looking at our status and it came up blank. I asked air Canada here in Calgary to see if it was on our passport still but they didn't seem to know what I was on about. Wondered if the deactivation was immediate as we haven't received an email saying otherwise yet like others have indicated.
My eTA wasn't deactivated for about six months, but I wouldn't rely on that if I were you - imagine being in the car on the way to the airport & getting the email, "Your application has been cancelled for the following reason(s): You are not eligible for an eTA as you are a Canadian Permanent Resident." ...

The ESTA 90 day in North America limit also doesn't apply to people who have status in Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean, which as a Canadian PR you do. (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-i...iver-program/:

What if I want to stay in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean?

If your ticket terminates in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the islands of the Caribbean, you must be a legal resident of the area in order to qualify for visa free travel.")
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Connecting flights to Calgary from where? If its from the US and you dont have a PRTD then they won't board you. If its from a Canadian airport then you are OK. Just make sure you have the COPR with you when driving across the border.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have to be in Canada to start work or similar, why not apply for the PRTD as soon as you get back to the UK and arrange your flight to Canada for 3 weeks or so instead of 2? I suppose you'll have to weigh up the inconvenience of changing your flight and remaining in the UK for an additional week or so or applying for an ESTA and hoping that they will allow you to land in the US for your onward journey. (See the comments from FL etc.,).

If you haven't already booked your flights then I'd suggest not booking anything at all right now - apply for the PRTD asap - as in in the next couple of days - and once you have it in hand, book your flight. From reports I've read you should have it within about 10 days.. I know what I'd do... use the time to go and visit people, have that last walk in the countryside /downtown / go for a couple of good meals or take-outs / go to the seaside while you still can.. do a few of the things that you will miss if you don't return to the UK for the next 5-10 years!

Good luck, regardless..and let us know how you get on..
Old Nov 25th 2018, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Connecting flights to Calgary from where? If its from the US and you dont have a PRTD then they won't board you. If its from a Canadian airport then you are OK. Just make sure you have the COPR with you when driving across the border.
It would be from either Toronto or Vancouver, we'd cross the border from the US from the nearest air ports to those. Off the top of my head, it would be Seattle for Vancouver (I think), although landing in New York and then driving for 7 hours to cross at Toronto also seems like a nice idea, especially given the flight is half the cost.

In regards to the ESTA, think best to play it safe and apply for it regardless.

@Siouxi,

One of the issues is that flights get more and more expensive the nearer to the date that you book. To the fact that I looked today for one tomorrow, and it was almost more than double the price. At the moment we are just weighing up each option and seeing if the cost outweighs the extra bit of effort. Also got to take into account we are booking one way. If we did a return the cost stays fairly consistent for the most part. Don't want to risk getting charged by the airline for not using the return though.

I'm unsure if we have to provide biometrics for the PRTD now. CIC website doesn't give any mention of it, whereas the VAC centre seems to suggest we do. I guess we'll just do it all in person with a lovely trip to London, can't go wrong then.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Note that 2 weeks from now might well mean a VERY unpleasant drive from New York to Toronto! They've already had one very nasty winter storm.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It would be from either Toronto or Vancouver, we'd cross the border from the US from the nearest air ports to those. Off the top of my head, it would be Seattle for Vancouver (I think), although landing in New York and then driving for 7 hours to cross at Toronto also seems like a nice idea, especially given the flight is half the cost.

@Siouxi,

One of the issues is that flights get more and more expensive the nearer to the date that you book. To the fact that I looked today for one tomorrow, and it was almost more than double the price. At the moment we are just weighing up each option and seeing if the cost outweighs the extra bit of effort. Also got to take into account we are booking one way. If we did a return the cost stays fairly consistent for the most part. Don't want to risk getting charged by the airline for not using the return though.

I'm unsure if we have to provide biometrics for the PRTD now. CIC website doesn't give any mention of it, whereas the VAC centre seems to suggest we do. I guess we'll just do it all in person with a lovely trip to London, can't go wrong then.
You don't get charged by the airline for not using the return portion. They simply either sell your seat or give it to someone who's on the standby list. Besides, you've already paid for it. How would/could the airline charge you?
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

@Siouxi,

I didn't think that PR's had to give biometrics - and because you have landed you are a PR, regardless of whether you have a PR card or not. There is no mention of needing it for PRTD on the VAC website: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Unit...tion.html#news

So perhaps you could book flights now for 3-4 weeks or more time if you wish to obtain a PRTD... and get the forms in pronto!

You don't have to get a return - you can fly single on Air Transat direct to Calgary. If you do get a return to Calgary you have the option of what type to get - one that is refundable / changeable or a straight return with no changes allowed. If you think you might be returning to the UK in the next 6 months then it might be as well to get a return that is changeable for a $30 fee, meaning you can use the return later. Otherwise, there's no penalties for NOT using the return, though it's advisable to let them know if at all possible - they might even give you the taxes back
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/for...efund-of-taxes

Or were you meaning a return flight for a US bound one?
You could fly into Buffalo for Toronto or the domestic part could be from Hamilton ($266 on Westjet) if you do decide to go via the US - I know lots of people who use that route - but I think the concern is that you may have issues not having an onward ticket OUT of N.America which would mean potentially having to have an onward flight booked to the UK or elsewhere outside of N.America.. you wouldn't be able to 'end' your journey in Canada, I believe is what FL is saying... though re-reading upthread, it appears that they 'should' let you drive across the border provided you have proof i.e. COPR stamped.. so if the plan i to go via the US I'd suggest Buffalo, a 1.5 to 2 hour drive to Hamilton and an onward flight to Calgary from there - there's hotels close by if you need one for the night.

Only you can decide if the added expense is worth it - i.e. the cost of the flight to the US (not cheap) then hiring a vehicle, driving it across the border, then onward flight costs to Calgary .. as opposed to having an extra week / 10 days in the UK and slightly higher cost of the flight to Calgary. Good luck, what ever the decision

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 25th 2018 at 9:39 pm.