Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Returning citizen sponsoring pregnant spouse with short deadlines

Returning citizen sponsoring pregnant spouse with short deadlines

Old Sep 13th 2001, 7:43 pm
Maurice McGinley

Kind readers,

I am a Canadian citizen residing outside for 10 years, returning with a pregnant
Australian spouse (due March 02), and two small children (also born outside canada).

We are booked to arrive in Vancouver Nov 1.

Our main concern is medical coverage for my wife's pregnancy.

I expect her PR status will be granted, eventually.

But if she enters Canada as a tourist (on Nov 1), then delivery, and possible
complications, are excluded from the insurance policies I've found so far.

If she can attain PR status by Nov 1, then I believe she will be eligible for BC
health care by the time of delivery.

A secondary concern is entry problems. It's probably against the rules for my wife
and children to enter on (Australian) passports with intent to stay. What level of
understanding leniency should I prepare myself for?

Thanks,

maurice

Old Sep 14th 2001, 12:15 pm
James Metcalfe

Maurice:

If you are the father of the children, they are Cdn Citozens by definition. Alas you
are right about your wife and medicla nsurance. She will probablynot be covered by
Cdn Insurance but what about your Oz insurance. Forget about getting PR status for
your wife before the bith of the new baby. She has to pass a medical which may prove
to be impossibe due to her condition. She will have to have an xray inorder to pass
medical and her doctor will probably not allow it and I presume you and your wife wil
think twice about it. As for dual intent I do not think yu should have a problem as
long as you are honest and straight forward with Immirgation officials. You should
sort out your childrens status and citozenshiop with the nearest Canadian mission.

Jim Metcalfe , Consultant and former visa officer

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >