Renewing a temporary work permit

Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

ralexa21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Renewing a temporary work permit

Hi Guys,

My partner and I have lived in Canda for 2.5 years of our three year work permit and are looking to extend it. We have our permanent residency application being processed and are both working full time in Downtown Toronto.

Our original work permits are in my partners name as she is a nurse, she is still working in the exact same job that she came over to do and would have no problem receiving a letter from her employers confirming that she will have a job for years to come.

What is the process for renewing our temporary work permit for another three years from within Canada ?

I am pretty sure given our current circumstance the process would not be very difficult but I would appreciate any pointers you guys could give on the matter.

Cheers,

Ross
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a temporary work permit

Hi Ross
we are in the same position.
I sent our application for extension - info and forms found on CIC website. It can be done on line but the system was down when I tried over a few days, so went the postal route. You can pay on line and they e-mail you a reciept.
Make sure that when you send the application you put in a copy of the reciept (if you pay on line) and a copy of the letter / contract saying that she has a regular position, also if it is via the Provincial Nominee programme include the letter of acceptance to the programme.

There is a check list as always to be followed.

I called Vegreville about 3 weeks ago, as ours has been in since March and was told not to expect anything until July. I think it is about 103 days or so according to the website for completion.

The above was information I was given from my HR dept. I am also an RN.
Good luck
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

just as Madjockette says but if i rememember correctly a new LMO is required ,,,,,,, this was a yr ish ago before PR.
jimmy.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Expect the process inland to take 5 ish months, look into whether you need a LMO because it usually asks for it. I recently went through it, sent application Dec and received TWP towards end of April and also stated we needed TWP whilst waiting for PR and got TWP for 3 years hopefully more than long enough to get PR seeing as we applied for PR last year and currently stuck in the queue
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

ralexa21 is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW 5 months..... Our lawyer for the PR process said he usually just goes to the airport (Pearson for Toronto) and gets it issued the same day !!

Looks like i have a phone call to make

Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
After reading the CIC website i now realise that we can still work for the 5 months that the process is continuing as long as we do not leave the country. Mini panic attack over...

Last edited by ralexa21; Jun 16th 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

My info was to send the AINP nomination letter with application and that a new LMO in my case was not required. Maybe different for different provinces

Madjockette
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ach more than likely as when i extended my TWP nobody mentioned a new LMO ,,but when i mentioned it to my HR guy he realised i needed one .....i just phoned vegerville with its # so they added it to my file..
.....lol it was only a week between first TWP/LMO running out and flagpoling for PR...
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ralexa21
Hi Guys,

What is the process for renewing our temporary work permit for another three years from within Canada ?
Your company, or your partner's company, need to apply for a new LMO before you can extend your work permit. If you both have NOC codes 0, A or B, I would recommend both companies applying - that way you have double the chance of getting approval, and one of you can continue to work on a spousal work permit.

Once you have a positive LMO, you can apply for your extensions.

Bear in mind, in order to get a positive LMO, your employer (or your partner's employer) has to demonstrate there is still a skills shortage, and have advertised your position.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 2:16 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ralexa21
Hi Guys,

My partner and I have lived in Canda for 2.5 years of our three year work permit and are looking to extend it. We have our permanent residency application being processed and are both working full time in Downtown Toronto.

Our original work permits are in my partners name as she is a nurse, she is still working in the exact same job that she came over to do and would have no problem receiving a letter from her employers confirming that she will have a job for years to come.

I am pretty sure given our current circumstance the process would not be very difficult but I would appreciate any pointers you guys could give on the matter.

Cheers,

Ross
So are you PNP or FSW Cat 2?
If it is Cat 2, you will need a new LMO as there is no implied status if you are applying through FSW Cat 2 and also the permanent job offer letter from the employer, then you can go to the border and re-enter and get your new TWP there.
But if you are PNP, then I believe you can continue to work while the Visa Office process your PR application and you do not need to get a new LMO, as the Province will support the issue of a new TWP to keep you able to work until a decision is made on your application.