Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
I spoke to the call centre and they said I have to contact all the embassies of the countries I have visited and request certificates from them - this sounds like a nightmare!!
It also sounds like someone might be exaggerating or has misunderstood what you have said about not having the appropriate records.

My PR card HAS expired. I do meet the criteria yes.
Does you passport include stamps for when you left Canada and when you returned. Wouldn't they show you meet the criteria?

Presumably you know you meet the conditions because you are aware of the dates of periods in Canada. So can you not identify the necessary stamps in your passport that correspond with those periods?

I wouldn't have thought stamps from other countries relevant if periods in/out of Canada can be identified.

Might it simply be that you said you didn't have stamps in your passport, with you knowing that there wouldn't be any for European travel and they have interpreted this as not having the stamps that would identify leaving and arriving Canada.

What sounds obvious to you might not be obvious to someone else.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 5:14 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The simplest thing is to prove that you were in Canada for the required amount of time. Apply to the CBSA for your record of exiting and entering Canada (per the suggestion upthread) - this will show whether you were in Canada for the minimum number of days.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-ag...-info-eng.html

If you can get similar exit/entry from the UK etc., include that as well - with a letter explaining that you are unable to get one from EU countries as there are no border controls.

Old Feb 20th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point

THANK YOU! I really thought I couldn't leave and go back to England (or whereever) and be okay with re-entering Canada unless my PR card was valid.

Last edited by Frozenrose; Feb 20th 2015 at 9:16 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to confirm, even if my PR card is expired, I could get on a plane and go to say, Jamaica for a week, and it would be fine? I thought I couldnt fly if it was expired
Old Mar 1st 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So just to confirm, even if my PR card is expired, I could get on a plane and go to say, Jamaica for a week, and it would be fine? I thought I couldnt fly if it was expired
Jamaica is one of the countries that I wouldn't fly to without a valid PR card as their citizens require a visa. Im not telling you not to fly but what proof of PR would you have when checking in for the flight home at the airport. You can also try the urgent processing route to get a PR card

Urgent processing of a permanent resident card