Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

I received the following e-mail today:

This refers to the application(s) for a Permanent Resident Card that you filed with this office. The purpose of this letter is to advise you that a preliminary review of your application has been completed and additional information is required before our final review can be completed. This will result in an additional delay. However, we will endeavor to finalize your application as soon as possible.

For the purposes of determining if you have upheld the residency obligations in meeting the requirements for a Permanent Resident Card and in accordance with Section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, please provide us with proof of your residency in Canada for the period 2009/NOVEMBER/09 to 2014/NOVEMBER/10. Please submit a copy of the following documents dated within the period specified above:

q Complete pages (including blank pages) of your passport(s)/travel document(s) held in the last 5 years. Ensure all pages are in color and are clearly legible.

q Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled

If the documents you provide in support of your application are not in English or French, you must also provide a certified copy of English or French translation and a certified copy of the translator’s declaration. A translator’s declaration must include the translator’s name, the original language of the translated document and a statement signed by a translator that the translation is accurate.

My Questions are:

What on earth are 'Personal immigration entry/exit record or movement certificate issued by the countries where you have travelled' mean - I have no idea at all!! and does the fact that my application has gone in this direction mean that it has dropped into the abyss? In other words - should I just reapply? I am so glum
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing PR card.. got this e-mail today - does this spell doom!?

it means that they want you to prove that you were physically resident in the time period they state.

whatever countries you traveled to in that time period, you need exit/entry stamps or proof of the dates you entered/left

applying again will more than likely lead to the same request
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

I spoke to the call centre and they said I have to contact all the embassies of the countries I have visited and request certificates from them - this sounds like a nightmare!!

I am a British citizen so when I traveled to France, Spain etc they do not stamp my passport - so I guess I have to contact all the EU countries I visited for these certificates!?

Last edited by Frozenrose; Feb 19th 2015 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Can someone help me? I'm so upset - this seems like an impossible task - how are you supposed to be able to get these?!?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Frozenrose

Whilst they weren't asked for, have you copies of your flight details/tickets? These can be very useful especially if you have never crossed the CAN/US border by land.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:23 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Really I think you are making a huge deal out of this ..... I'm not sure why you are so upset. Noone is about to chuck you out the country
but anyways... help us with some info

so CIC want (from the info you've posted above) details about your travels for a one year period

How many times did you leave Canada in that time frame ?

when you left whatever country it was ( you mention Europe) , presumably you came back to Canada

you can request a record of your border entries from CBSA (there have been threads about it on here , do a search)

you are correct in saying there are no border controls in Europe if you are on an EU passport. So you will have to write a covering letter explaining this.

CIC want to see that you were resident enough to renew your status.

Stop concentrating on what you can't give them and start thinking about what you can.

Remember this is a standard form letter , bits of it may not be relevant. look at the intent and see what you can do.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply to the UK Home Office for records of the dates you left and entered the UK. It costs you 10 quid. You may then be able to work out where you went, even if it was just the first EU country you went to...

There is a link on BE Canada forum somewhere about this.

Similar is available from CBSA for entering and leaving Canada.

Last edited by withabix; Feb 19th 2015 at 7:39 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could the email confirmation for flights be enough showing dates arriving in Canada and return dates to uk as proof
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
You can apply to the UK Home Office for records of the dates you left and entered the UK. It costs you 10 quid. You may then be able to work out where you went, even if it was just the first EU country you went to...

There is a link on BE Canada forum somewhere about this.

Similar is available from CBSA for entering and leaving Canada.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-immigration
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell

so CIC want (from the info you've posted above) details about your travels for a one year period

How many times did you leave Canada in that time frame ?

when you left whatever country it was ( you mention Europe) , presumably you came back to Canada

It is for a five year period - which is why I am concerned as I went to a number of countries during that time. I can contact CBSA, and then UK border control, and the USA border control, but then I also have to contact the Turkish border control, the Indian border control, the French and Spanish border control (I realize I sound like a brat because I went to a number of countries - not my intent) The reason I am upset is because I was really hoping I could go home and see my family at some point soon - I immigrated alone - and I am concerned that by the time I have contacted all of the above agencies (is a covering letter really sufficient for Spain and France) to get the certificates, I will have to resubmit my application. I just am staggered that stamps in my passport are not sufficient and I have to get through the swathes of bureaucratic tape to get these certificates.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Sorry misread the dates.
And yep you need to give them as much info as they request.
Their playpen their rules

You can still travel. No one is keeping you a prisoner here.
You are still a PR until a judge says other wise.

Worst case scenario your pr card expires, you may not even need it to get back to Canada, we have a stickied thread about that.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 12:46 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Do you meet the criteria of being in Canada for at least 2 of the previous 5 years? How much time have you spent out of Canada?
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

My PR card HAS expired. I do meet the criteria yes.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:19 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
My PR card HAS expired. I do meet the criteria yes.
As I said. Doesn't mean you can't travel

Your card has expired. Not your status
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As I said. Doesn't mean you can't travel

Your card has expired. Not your status
As Zoe says, as long as you meet the requirements, don't panic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.