Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport while waiting for PR

Renewing British Passport while waiting for PR

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road
Default Renewing British Passport while waiting for PR

This probably comes up a lot, but I did a search and couldn't see exactly my question...

I am in hopefully the final stages of my PR application (BC PNP - I got and paid the RPRF request three months ago). My UK passport expires in April 2014, and my TWP shortly before that.

I would like to renew my passport sooner rather than later (So that I have the required six months for a trip to Mexico this winter), but how does this affect my TWP and PR application? My TWP does have my current passport number on it.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport while waiting for PR

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
This probably comes up a lot, but I did a search and couldn't see exactly my question...

I am in hopefully the final stages of my PR application (BC PNP - I got and paid the RPRF request three months ago). My UK passport expires in April 2014, and my TWP shortly before that.

I would like to renew my passport sooner rather than later (So that I have the required six months for a trip to Mexico this winter), but how does this affect my TWP and PR application? My TWP does have my current passport number on it.
Change of passport wont affect work permit. Chances are they will ask for copies of passport pages as opposed to the actual passport. No harm in applying for a new one say in Octoberish if still in processing.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Change of passport wont affect work permit. Chances are they will ask for copies of passport pages as opposed to the actual passport. No harm in applying for a new one say in Octoberish if still in processing.
Thanks FL. I presume I need to tell CIC about the new passport?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:54 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

From what I understand a request for RPRF implies you are close to completion. Given you are close to obtaining PR I'd hold off on the passport renewal until after landing. Changing details may increase the processing time. And despite the horror stories of renewing your British passport in North America, I'm sure 5-6 months will be plenty of time.

But your mileage may vary and you may want to be on the safe side and just renew ASAP.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:16 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BTJ
From what I understand a request for RPRF implies you are close to completion. Given you are close to obtaining PR I'd hold off on the passport renewal until after landing. Changing details may increase the processing time. And despite the horror stories of renewing your British passport in North America, I'm sure 5-6 months will be plenty of time.

But your mileage may vary and you may want to be on the safe side and just renew ASAP.
Having paid RPRF is not an indicator as to the status of your application. I paid RPRF in April, cashed on May 10th. I am still waiting for PPR

Regards

Andrew
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:20 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Having paid RPRF is not an indicator as to the status of your application. I paid RPRF in April, cashed on May 10th. I am still waiting for PPR

Regards

Andrew
Oh well that's annoying