Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Recent PR, new babies, passports ??

Recent PR, new babies, passports ??

Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recent PR, new babies, passports ??

Hi, having been in Ontario since April 2007 and receiving PR last month (did the flagpole ), we are now happily expecting twins.. (All go here)..

I presume the babies will be Canadian Citizens (yes/no), also British (me) and Japanese (wife) at least until they are 18, where Japanese law states they must chose as Japan only allows single citizenship.

We will also be moving to my companies Vancouver office before the birth, so I am full of questions.

1. Citizenship, am I correct?
2. Passports, what do we do to enable us to travel abroad with them (UK/Japan).
3. BC Health, do we wait 3 months or does the fact that we have been living in Canada for the last 2 years and would have been PR's for at least 4 months in Ontario before moving count for anything.

To top it off, my youngest son by my previous marriage is going to have a child a month or two before ours will be born
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent PR, new babies, passports ??

Hi

Originally Posted by PeterF
Hi, having been in Ontario since April 2007 and receiving PR last month (did the flagpole ), we are now happily expecting twins.. (All go here)..

I presume the babies will be Canadian Citizens (yes/no), also British (me) and Japanese (wife) at least until they are 18, where Japanese law states they must chose as Japan only allows single citizenship.

We will also be moving to my companies Vancouver office before the birth, so I am full of questions.

3. BC Health, do we wait 3 months or does the fact that we have been living in Canada for the last 2 years and would have been PR's for at least 4 months in Ontario before moving count for anything.

To top it off, my youngest son by my previous marriage is going to have a child a month or two before ours will be born
1. Definitely Canadian citizens, probably Japanese and UK through descent.
2. Apply for passports of the countries that they are eligible, there is no law restricting the number of passports that a person is entitled to.
3. Your Ontario OHIP covers the 3 months waiting period in BC.
4. The babies will receive Medical coverage at birth.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

If your son is about to give birth I'd also start ringing around the gossip rags. There HAS to be money in that story!!!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I decided not to get UK PPs for my kids yet, its cheaper and easier to stick to canadian ones unless you plan returning to either japan or the UK to reside rather than for short visits to see family.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkSurrey
If your son is about to give birth I'd also start ringing around the gossip rags. There HAS to be money in that story!!!

cheeky git
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I would get them cdn and british passports, as travelling in UK is soooo much easier on UK passport, and getting in and out of EU. You might not need them, but they are entitled to them, as some point get both for them.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian - yes.

British - probably, but check for details:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

Japanese : If Japan is going to make them formally sign away their other citizenships at age 18, then I probably would not bother getting them Japanese passports in the first place. If they are going to grow up some mix of British and Canadian then it's probably not worth them getting too attached to Japanese passports (even if your wife teaches them Japanese).

But do look more closely into Japanese law ... if all they have to do is tell the Japanese government they want to be solely Japanese, and not get certificates of renunciation from the British and Canadian governments, then perhaps they can have that too. Any declaration made to the Japanese government will be ignored by Britain and Canada, at least under current law.

Passports : They should have Canadian passports and if also British, British passports.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

MarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to allMarkSurrey is a name known to all

I would definitely apply for their British passports as well as Canadian. There's no down side that I can see, and if you/they want to travel and visit Europe it would be much easier with an EU passport.

Also, there is a fair chance that they will want both passports as adults and I would guess that would be easier if they had a British passport as a kid. Otherwise, they may have trouble proving British citizenship with a Canadian birth certificate. This certainly wouldn't be insurmountable, but is probably a hassle you can save them by applying for passports now.