Reasons to Extend a Visitor Visa

Old Apr 17th 2015, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Nik G will become famous soon enoughNik G will become famous soon enough
Default Reasons to Extend a Visitor Visa

I was wondering what reasons people on here have used to extend there visitor visa (the first time).

My wife's aunt is visiting, she wants to extend her visitor visa (which has just over a month left, 1st time entry) to look for a job (she's a caregiver by trade).

She has no other family, she raised my wife and she's from a visa exempt country. We are permanent residents and have the funds to support here while she searches.

Is it enough to be honest and say she would like to extend to look for a job. In terms of ties back home, she has a bank account and that's about it. Would love to hear what people have to say or what others have said.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons to Extend a Visitor Visa

Originally Posted by Nik G
I was wondering what reasons people on here have used to extend there visitor visa (the first time).

My wife's aunt is visiting, she wants to extend her visitor visa (which has just over a month left, 1st time entry) to look for a job (she's a caregiver by trade).

She has no other family, she raised my wife and she's from a visa exempt country. We are permanent residents and have the funds to support here while she searches.

Is it enough to be honest and say she would like to extend to look for a job. In terms of ties back home, she has a bank account and that's about it. Would love to hear what people have to say or what others have said.

Thanks for the responses.
Looking at it from a CIC view she is currently visiting Canada and wants to extend her stay. You indicate she wants to look for a job which is fine but when will she be returning to her home country?
If she has no significant ties to that country i.e. other family members and property ownership then that could be a red flag. How old is she? Caregivers would require a medical and would she even be offered a job or qualify for a work permit?
More info needed. CIC might grant one extension but they will expect her to return home unless she gets a work permit.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

She is 52, has British qualifications and experience in caregiving (she qualifies for a Live-In/Out Caregiver).

She would need to get a medical and she would need to be offered a job. She has a had some interviews but no offer of employment yet. As it seems most live-in/out caregivers require a work permit anyway it hasn't been off-putting to the interviewers.

She has indicated to me that she will return home if she can't find anything. Maybe we should book a flight for 6 months time as evidence she will return?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link about caregivers.
They are required to apply from outside Canada at a visa office.
Determine your eligibility – Live-in caregivers
Old Apr 17th 2015, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Although I would bow to your knowledge on this.

I spoke to CIC and with the new Live-In Caregiver program they said they will accept applications from Visa exempt countries at POE.

In line with the following:

Live-in caregivers

"Changes to Canada’s Caregiver Program took effect on November 30, 2014. Find out how this might affect you:

•If you have not worked in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program and your employer’s Labour Market Impact Assessment application was received by Service Canada after November 30, 2014:
◦ you must apply for a regular work permit."

And a regular work permit can be applied for at POE. Now that's what the CIC representative told me and pointed me to that.

If I'm wrong then please correct me.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Although I would bow to your knowledge on this.

I spoke to CIC and with the new Live-In Caregiver program they said they will accept applications from Visa exempt countries at POE.

In line with the following:

Live-in caregivers

"Changes to Canada’s Caregiver Program took effect on November 30, 2014. Find out how this might affect you:

•If you have not worked in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program and your employer’s Labour Market Impact Assessment application was received by Service Canada after November 30, 2014:
◦ you must apply for a regular work permit."

And a regular work permit can be applied for at POE. Now that's what the CIC representative told me and pointed me to that.

If I'm wrong then please correct me.
No the new changes are correct however she would not be eligible to apply from within Canada as per this link.
Determine your eligibility – Work in Canada
The employer will have to apply for the LMIA and pay the $1000 fee and also the $230 compliance fee.
Determine your eligibility – Work in Canada
Once issued a letter of invitation if she got the LMIA then she can get the work permit issued at a POE.

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:

are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,
have graduated from a program at a
Canadian university,
community college,
CÉGEP,
publicly funded trade/technical school or
other eligible school,
have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit).
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

I think we are in agreement regarding the work permit.

But for the visa extension, would booking a flight aid the CIC decision or are we likely on a losing path anyway?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we are in agreement regarding the work permit.

But for the visa extension, would booking a flight aid the CIC decision or are we likely on a losing path anyway?
Impossible to say as she needs to find an employer who is willing to apply for the LMIA and ESDC to give a positive decision. If she gets a positive LMIA then she would need the medical to be done and it can be done in Canada by a Panel Physician. Once the LMIA is issued then she can apply at a POE for the work permit providing the medical results are known. This could take several months.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. Extending the visitor visa at this time has nothing to do with LMIA's.

So would booking a return flight enhance the chances of extending a visitor visa and will explaining she is looking for a job enhance or decrease her chances of a visitor visa extension.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. Extending the visitor visa at this time has nothing to do with LMIA's.

So would booking a return flight enhance the chances of extending a visitor visa and will explaining she is looking for a job enhance or decrease her chances of a visitor visa extension.
I know but won't she be looking for a job and hoping to get the LMIA and medical done before the possibility of returning to the UK if granted an extension?
A return ticket will show good faith but I have no idea what CPC Vegreville will decide and how long the extension will be.