Re-entry without PR card

Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entry without PR card

Originally Posted by dbd33
......It helps that return tickets are cheaper than one-way ones ......

Yes, ............ Why is this ???
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe this to be true. In fact, even if you do have legal status in the country to which you're flying it's as well to get a return ticket.
Not practical in most cases.

For example, next week I'm going to the US to pick up a car. I intend to drive back. That's perfectly legitimate but, not wanting any hassle, I've purchased a return ticket. It helps that return tickets are cheaper than one-way ones but, still, it'd be worth $200 for the peace.
If you were going on the US visa waiver as a British citizen then you'd probably need a return/onward ticket as the US rules require this. I don't believe a return ticket is required for Canadian citizens and Bermudians as they are covered by different rules.

Those with US tourist visas are not required to have return tickets. From the excellent FAQ at the US Embassy in London website:

"I have a visa; do I also need a return ticket?

If you hold a visa of any classification, including a B-1/B-2 visa, you are not required to hold a return ticket; you may enter the United States on a one way ticket. All travelers should carry with them for presentation to U.S. officials, if required, evidence of funds sufficient for their visit and, with the exception of H and L visa holders, evidence that they have a residence abroad to which they intend returning at the end of their stay. Examples of such evidence include: traveler's checks; return tickets; copy of latest bank statement; letter from parents saying they will support you; evidence of current employment; evidence of enrollment at an academic institution."

As for the prices, I'm surprised you say a return ticket is cheaper - used to be that way with returns, they either cost the same as a single or more - but I thought most airlines had moved to selling flights as single sectors, especially on flights within the same continent.

Jeremy
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
Been on 4 different flights with 4 different airlines from London to Toronto and every single time they ask for documentation if you have a 1 way ticket.

Always make sure I have it because from past experience I was not allowed to board the plane as I didn't have it.

Going again in September and am sure it is the same procedure.

Air Canada ask for the PR card, experienced that myself.
Air Canada should not insist on a PR Card if you have a visa waiver passport, according to their own policies. It's still advisable to have the cancelled IMM1000 form.

Of course there is always the chance of coming across someone clueless at check-in, so it's best to get:

- (preferably) confirmation in writing from the airline that this is acceptable; or
- at the very least, print out the relevant sections from the Air Canada website and insist on speaking to a manager if the check-in person doesn't understand the rules.

Jeremy
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
JAJ, I haven't read IRPA nevermind begun to comprehend the legalspeak therein but a skim of their helpdesk queries shows that "As of Dec 31,2003 it will be a legal requirement for PRs flying on commercial airlines from international destinations to have a Permanent Resident Card" - so what does legal requirement mean in that context? I also see it paraphrased in the PR Card manual with the term "mandatory" replacing "legal requirement". Nowhere that I can see except here in this semi-relevant question below does whether you're a visa waiver national or not seem to be mentioned -
Pronouncements by CIC (or other government organisations) do not always *exactly* reflect the underlying legislation.

Question: Are persons from non-visa required countries required to obtain the"so-called" facilitation (note that there is no facilitation visa under IRPA - in the context of the PR Card, the correct term should be the travel document specified in A31(3)) TRV if they are outside of Canada on Dec 31 2003?? How will these people be dealt with at the POE? Example raised was a US citizen, PR in Canada, seeking entry at land border, with no card. Do they need to attend a consulate and get a Facilitation visa??

Answer: Person from non-visa required countries will be required to obtain the A31(3) travel document if they are outside of Canada on Dec 31, 2003. If they do not obtain one, they will be dealt with as a Foreign National when seeking entry and will have to satisfy the IO that they meet the requirements of a Permanent Resident.

This suggests to me that landed PR cannot pass him/herself off as a visitor by use of a visa-waiver passport without declaring themselves as a PR.
What it means is that if a PR has a PR Card (or Travel Document) that creates a presumption they are a PR. If someone does not have these documents, then the presumption is they are not a PR unless they can convince the officer otherwise (or the officer looks it up in the system).

If it is a legal requirement to declare this at boarding and you don't, are the airlines being fined? Only if they miss a cancelled PR visa or other obvious signs? Why are Air Canada stating they have a don't ask, don't tell policy for visa waiver nationals? If this is permitted, it must be in the manuals somewhere?
No-one is suggesting for a moment that someone in this sitation doesn't tell the truth to an Immigration officer. It would be a seriously bad idea for a returning PR to try to pass himself off as a visitor (I've not checked the rules but it could even cause loss of PR).

But immigration law does not regulate what you do or do not say to an *airline* at check-in.

Do you have any links to what airlines' obligations are? I wouldn't know where to look all that up but it sounded like you had something to hand on their liability?

Part 17 of the Regulations is the main source of information on carrier's obligations, although it references elsewhere in the Regulations and IRPA.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/I-2.5/S...227/index.html

IRPA itself:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/I-2.5/index.html

The Regulations are not particularly easy to read once you get into the details.

I know PR card is not necessary at the land frontier, that point seems to have been missed in the helpdesk question above, but only 4wks ago Mr B was asked to produce his. This was especially surprising as his cancelled PR visa is still in his passport, he landed <6mths ago and cannot conceivably have failed to meet the residency requirement. I'm sure the officer would have let him in if he'd not had the card, but why ask?
It may be the reason the officer asks is to make life simple, because most PRs *do* have a PR Card and it proves status most easily. If he didn't have one, then it would be a much more lengthy process to verify his status before he could be admitted to Canada.

Jeremy
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozinca
I totally disagree with you, go buy yourself a one way ticket anywhere in the world and try and board the plane. If you do not have a valid legal status in the country you intend to land, you WILL NOT get on the plane. Good luck trying.

That's my opinion and I stand by it 100%

Ozinca

My son went to stay with our friends in Canada in october 05 on a one way ticket to see if he wanted to emigrate with us. No problems getting in to Canada, just asked for the address of where he would be staying. He flew back 13 weeks later with no problems.