Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Re-Entering Canada with No Permanent Resident Card

Re-Entering Canada with No Permanent Resident Card

Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re-Entering Canada with No Permanent Resident Card

Hi,

My colleague became a Permanent Resident of Canada as a child, 30+ years ago.

This was before the Permanent Resident cards came into existence. She is married to a Canadian citizen.

She is just renewing her British passport to enable her to travel to Britain for a summer holiday.

Will she be asked for a PR card (or travel document) upon re-entry into Canada?

Many thanks,

Sarah
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-Entering Canada with No Permanent Resident Card

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

Why on earth has she not obtained Canadian citizenship?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:53 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The PR card is used by airlines to confirm that the holder has PR status and can be boarded without further proof. As a UK citizen she can board anyway since she does not require a visa to come to Canada. The main problem might lie at the port of entry with a new passport and no real evidence (perhaps) of residence status. She should get a PR card if she plans to travel often and of course she can take Canadian citizenship without endangering her US citizenship and that would solve the problem as JAJ has implied.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

The last time I flew into Canada the person in front of me at Immigration must have been in a very similar situation to your colleague. They let her in (of course) but I could hear them making it very clear to her that really she should get her card asap. I expect that your colleague could expect a degree of hassle and delay if she tries to enter the country without a card, so why doesn't she just apply for one now?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

you can get a travel permit for permanent residents returning to Canada without a PR card (don't need to leave as far as I know)

The Permanent Resident Card

If you intend to travel, the Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).

If you leave the country, you will need this card to return to Canada. If you do not plan to leave the country, you do not need the card.
details of the travel document can be found here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/travel.asp

it would probably be easier to get a PR card, or even better, get citizenship