Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:14 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5
SAShields is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Hello,

I live in Alberta and I am looking into sponsoring my mum to move here from England. From what I've read, it looks like I can't submit a sponsorship application until January and that the process could take a few years.

I just have a couple of questions that I seem to be having trouble finding answers on.

Can my mum come to Canada on a parent super visa in the mean time? Am I able to apply to sponsor her if she's already in Canada on a super visa? My understanding is that if she's here with a super visa then she cannot work here. Once she's here, are we able to apply for a work permit if she meets the criteria for one? (Job offer, LMO.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!!
SAShields is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:00 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,186
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Sounds like you've got it spot on.

And yes, yes and yes in answer to your questions!

You meet the criteria to sponsor and have been in Canada enough time? If so, sounds like you'll be good to go in January, good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:38 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 5
SAShields is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Thanks for your response!
SAShields is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 3:56 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 52
jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by SAShields
Hello,

I live in Alberta and I am looking into sponsoring my mum to move here from England. From what I've read, it looks like I can't submit a sponsorship application until January and that the process could take a few years.

I just have a couple of questions that I seem to be having trouble finding answers on.

Can my mum come to Canada on a parent super visa in the mean time? Am I able to apply to sponsor her if she's already in Canada on a super visa? My understanding is that if she's here with a super visa then she cannot work here. Once she's here, are we able to apply for a work permit if she meets the criteria for one? (Job offer, LMO.)

Thanks for any info you can provide!!
I submitted the required papers for my parents back in November 2010 and only yesterday heard back from CIC that they are ready to start processing. However, my excitement died instantly when they said it takes up to 49 months for the application to be processed before it is submitted to either Ottawa or London UK (folks are in Canada as visitors on extended visas) with both of those offices requiring an additional 60 months! Thats at least 10 years before they get their PR!!!
jaysangha is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:20 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

I thought the parent sponsorship stream had shut down? I thought it was replaced by the supervisa?

I've read up about the supervisa which I know can be valid for up to 10 years but what's the deal? do they get 2 years (usually) on entry and then have to keep going back to the border every 2 years hoping they get 2 more then at any point within the 10 years it could be a "Cya get back to England?"

We are seriously considering this but as usual information is as clear as mud on CIC site.
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:05 am
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,186
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I thought the parent sponsorship stream had shut down? I thought it was replaced by the supervisa?

I've read up about the supervisa which I know can be valid for up to 10 years but what's the deal? do they get 2 years (usually) on entry and then have to keep going back to the border every 2 years hoping they get 2 more then at any point within the 10 years it could be a "Cya get back to England?"

We are seriously considering this but as usual information is as clear as mud on CIC site.
Parent sponsorship reopened in Jan.

And yes, that's exactly how it works, you've got it.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 12:26 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,746
Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Parent sponsorship reopened in Jan.

And yes, that's exactly how it works, you've got it.

HTH.
Thanks....

So basically parental sponsorship can take 5 years to get? Supervisa can go up to 10. It's one HUGE gamble that it all works out tho isn't it?

Does anyone know what the average processing times are for parental sponsorship?

Thanks. Sorry for asking questions on your thread OP but my answers will be helpful to you anyways!
Geordie Lass is offline  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 12:46 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,881
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

According to the CIC website stage 1 approvals prior to the suspension were taking 49 months (4 years) then dependent on the visa office say London UK was a further 65 months (5 and a half years) for step 2 approval.
Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

Basically the Govt don't want your parents to become PRs though they won't admit it as they would be considered an expense as these people have not contributed any taxes. Most will need some kind of health care so what will that cost?
There again I could be wrong.
Former Lancastrian is online now  
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:52 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,186
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Thanks....

So basically parental sponsorship can take 5 years to get? Supervisa can go up to 10. It's one HUGE gamble that it all works out tho isn't it?

Does anyone know what the average processing times are for parental sponsorship?

Thanks. Sorry for asking questions on your thread OP but my answers will be helpful to you anyways!
Longer than that for parental sponsorship (see processing times given above), but with the recently introduced quota, the backlog should disappear and processing times speed up. At least that's the idea!

Hopefully by the time you can apply (in 2016? If I've got that right from a quick glance at your timeline), it'll be much quicker.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:36 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 476
Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
According to the CIC website stage 1 approvals prior to the suspension were taking 49 months (4 years) then dependent on the visa office say London UK was a further 65 months (5 and a half years) for step 2 approval.
Processing Times: Family Sponsorship

Basically the Govt don't want your parents to become PRs though they won't admit it as they would be considered an expense as these people have not contributed any taxes. Most will need some kind of health care so what will that cost?
There again I could be wrong.
I think the 65 months for step 2 approval does include the 49 months from step 1, because it is 65 months from the date you submitted your original application, not from the date they transferred your file, having said that 65 months is still a very long wait.
Ibraheem is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:17 am
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
I think the 65 months for step 2 approval does include the 49 months from step 1, because it is 65 months from the date you submitted your original application, not from the date they transferred your file, having said that 65 months is still a very long wait.
You would be incorrect in your thinking, unfortunately. It specifically states:
There are two steps in processing family sponsorship applications. In order to know the total approximate time it may take for your application to be processed, ADD the time in step 1 to the time in step 2 (the two steps are consecutive).
and
The tables below indicate application processing times at Canadian visa offices once Step 1 has been completed. The times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. Processing times are subject to change.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:52 am
  #12  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

Hi


Originally Posted by Siouxie
You would be incorrect in your thinking, unfortunately. It specifically states:
There are two steps in processing family sponsorship applications. In order to know the total approximate time it may take for your application to be processed, ADD the time in step 1 to the time in step 2 (the two steps are consecutive).
and
The tables below indicate application processing times at Canadian visa offices once Step 1 has been completed. The times are based on how long it took to process 80 percent of all cases between April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. Processing times are subject to change.
1. At least the processing time should be starting to drop. With the "2 year pause" in processing from Nov/11 to January/14 restart should start to reflected in the processing times in about 7 months, as they are working on April/11 sponsorship applications.
2. This should also speed up the the overseas processing in time, with the 5K cap on sponsorships.
3. The following shows the no. of Parents/Grandparents received since 2009

2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2013(Jan-Mar) 2014(Jan-Mar)

40,735 47,259 28,820 6,050 2,338 1,333 257
PMM is offline  
Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:28 am
  #13  
Listen to the Music
 
dave_j's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Fraser Valley BC
Posts: 4,983
dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

I agree with FormerLancastrian. As a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, this process is entirely politically driven, and that means that length of processing times will blow with the winds generated by how the canadian voter feels about immigration and how prominent the argument becomes at times in the future.
There are many misconceptions about supervisas, as I've discovered by being here under one. Comments I've seen include one from a canadian who asked why people like me were allowed into the country using canadian medical facilities etc free of charge. Comments and misconceptions like this are perfectly understandable when CBSA, CIC and ICBC officials haven't a clue how to deal with us. When visiting CBSA to clear our container, an official noted that the box asking for our status had been incorrectly entered. I explained that I'd had difficulty selecting the right box because there didn't appear to be one that we fitted into, to which he replied, 'that's because there isn't one!'.
Those us us who are here for at least two years, will very likely be paying canadian federal income taxes. We have bought a house and pay regional taxes on it, but because we are classified as visitors, we are unable to claim any reductions due to age and thereby subsidise the local education system.
I'm not complaining, I'm just stating that we encounter issues that really don't need to be there, and that's because there is no political advantage in resolving them.
I don't believe that processing times will ease, because presently it's not politically advantageous that they should, indeed, one could argue that reducing the number of applicants will require fewer CIC officials to service them and this will reduce costs.. and that does carry political weight.
As a supervisa visitor, I make no financial impact on BC other than to contribute to the local, CIC and of course insurance company budgets, but I don't think this is understood as deeply as it should be. The one sided argument that concentrates on future liability fails to take into account the contributions we make to an economy whilst not seeking employment.
We are on an identical timeline as jaysangha, and are just about to enter phase 2 of the sponsorship process, I wish him all the best.

Last edited by dave_j; Aug 29th 2014 at 11:19 am.
dave_j is online now  
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:37 am
  #14  
Listen to the Music
 
dave_j's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Fraser Valley BC
Posts: 4,983
dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re parent sponsorship/super visa

As I stay here longer, I find others who are floundering much as I did. In answer to a question posed the original post by SASshields
Q. Can a person who is in canada under the supervisa umbrella apply for a work permit.
A. It clearly states on my Visitor Record that one condition of my stay is that I may not work in canada and I have no wish to. But, being pedantic, this doesn't mean that you can't apply for a work permit, so the correct answer is 'yes' you can, but if CIC mean what they say then it almost certainly won't be granted but like so much associated with the supervisa it has yet to be tested, so if anyone has done this, please let the forum know. And as we have found during our stay here, there are rules and then there are other rules that can be ignored completely providing nobody objects.

Last edited by dave_j; Aug 29th 2014 at 1:00 pm.
dave_j is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.