Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to stay in Canada after citizenship application?

Do I need to stay in Canada after citizenship application?

Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:39 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I need to stay in Canada after citizenship application?

Hopefully someone can help me with the above question. I applied for Canadian citizenship 12 months ago, so presume that it will be a further 12 months before the application is processed.

During that time, do I need to be a resident of Canada? If I had to work and live in another country would I still be eligible?

I have trawled through the CIC website, but cannot seem to find an answer, so would appreciate any help!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to stay in Canada after citizenship application?

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
Hopefully someone can help me with the above question. I applied for Canadian citizenship 12 months ago, so presume that it will be a further 12 months before the application is processed.

During that time, do I need to be a resident of Canada? If I had to work and live in another country would I still be eligible?

I have trawled through the CIC website, but cannot seem to find an answer, so would appreciate any help!
So long as you have maintained the required residency period and continue to do so, you can leave (you are still a PR until the ceremony), however you may only get a couple of weeks or less notice of the test and a later date, possibly at hsort notice for the ceremony. So be prepared to come back with little notice.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:09 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to stay in Canada after citizenship application?

Thanks! Since posting, I have read that the government are looking to change the laws, and that if you leave the country for any length of time you would have to prove to a judge that you intend to live in the country in the near future. Hopefully that won't apply to existing applicants