Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A question on citizenship applications

A question on citizenship applications

Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:14 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

ABW is on a distinguished road
Question A question on citizenship applications

According to this website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp
It will take 5 months to JUST get some sort of conformation.
I am in Ottawa. I sent my application back in August 6, 2009 to Sydney, NS. No news no nothing. Any idea how long does it take? I am just curious. Thank you
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question on citizenship applications

Originally Posted by ABW
I am in Ottawa. I sent my application back in August 6, 2009 to Sydney, NS. No news no nothing. Any idea how long does it take? I am just curious. Thank you
Short answer...It depends.

The whole process takes about a year give or take. but each local office will have different processing times, so everyone has different experiences.

I would think you will get confirmation soon, but the 5 months is really only just passed.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABW
Did you send it by a secure method? Or was the payment taken? If you have no proof of delivery, it may be lost ...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:15 am
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

Question Re: A question on citizenship applications

I sent it by a secure method (the Canada Post tracking said it arrived in Sydney, NS on August 9, 2009). I don't know what happens next.
The payment hasn't been taken out of my credit card but I have that online payment proof.
I don't know what else to do.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you send it by a secure method? Or was the payment taken? If you have no proof of delivery, it may be lost ...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

We applied in June. We are in NS, sent it to Sydney like you. Only just got confirmation last week. Says it will take another 12-18 months, but based on everyone we know, probably more like 6 months till the test now.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's crap really. You have to live here for longer as a PR and without the "right and privileges" of citizenship. Another example of incompetent Canadiana.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It's crap really. You have to live here for longer as a PR and without the "right and privileges" of citizenship. Another example of incompetent Canadiana.
Day to day, assuming you are living in Canada and not planning to leave immediately, does it really matter how long it takes to process the application?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:45 pm
ABW
No driving taxi as 11/06

Angry Re: A question on citizenship applications

My situation is rather unique. My job requires me to become a Canadian citizen.
DND gives me 1 year to show it starting August 2009. Now that it's already 2010, getting nervous....

Originally Posted by JAJ
Day to day, assuming you are living in Canada and not planning to leave immediately, does it really matter how long it takes to process the application?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ABW
My situation is rather unique. My job requires me to become a Canadian citizen.
DND gives me 1 year to show it starting August 2009. Now that it's already 2010, getting nervous....
Talk to your superiors in DND ... either they will be happy to wait as long as you have an application in the system. Or if not, perhaps they could use official channels to ask CIC to prioritise your application.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes, because I would like to vote, to be able to have a say in who is in government. Seems reasonable to me, and rather important.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

Yes, because I would like to vote, to be able to have a say in who is in government. Seems reasonable to me, and rather important.
It's reasonable ... once you are a citizen.

The reason for the waiting period is to ensure that people have a real commitment to Canada, and an understanding of Canada, before being permitted the full rights of citizenship.

In the meantime, you are still a permanent resident and not deprived of anything day to day.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ

The reason for the waiting period is to ensure that people have a real commitment to Canada, and an understanding of Canada, before being permitted the full rights of citizenship.

In the meantime, you are still a permanent resident and not deprived of anything day to day.
To add one point, it used to be 5 years residency before you could apply for Citizenship and you couldn't count visitor time prior to PR as 1/2 time
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ

I'm aware of the reasons for the waiting period and I will have passed that waiting period in April but will have to wait at least another 12 months before I can get that status and vote. They don't need 12 months to do all the checks they need to do. It's just badly managed crud as usual.

BTW voting affects day to day life, it's called democracy and I would like to to part in it in the country I live in.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

I'm aware of the reasons for the waiting period and I will have passed that waiting period in April but will have to wait at least another 12 months before I can get that status and vote. They don't need 12 months to do all the checks they need to do. It's just badly managed crud as usual.
It's part of Canadian life, by all accounts. A lot of things take a long time to get processed. That said, they probably know many citizenship applicants really want to leave, so it may suit them to effectively add another 12-18 months to the residence requirement.

BTW voting affects day to day life, it's called democracy and I would like to to part in it in the country I live in.
All in good time ... in the meantime, recommended to enjoy your life in Canada.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 18th 2010 at 2:35 am.