Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question for any ex-students leaving for BUNAC this year.

Question for any ex-students leaving for BUNAC this year.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice
Default Question for any ex-students leaving for BUNAC this year.

Hi all, I have a general question for any graduates who are off on BUNAC this year. If you still owe on your loans are you informing the Student Loans Company that you'll be out of the country for more than 3 months or are you just going to leave? I've read through the website and I can't see myself being lucky enough to earn $30000 over the year so I probably won't be contributing to my loan...also are you going to inform the tax office that you're leaving?

cheers, Lethe.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Question for any ex-students leaving for BUNAC this year.

we travelled through the bunac scheme three years ago, just out of university.
we didn't tell the student loan company or the tax man know. we just left and came sorted it all out when we got back.
there was no problems this way.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

hi, I worked in canada for a year with an income below the student loans income threshold. I didnt tell them or the tax man I had left. The inland revenue people sent me the forms once I had returned and had taken up a job in the UK. The forms werent a big deal and they may even give me some income tax back on the tax i had paid before i left.

I dont think the student loans company noticed at all but I am yet to reach an income above the threshold so have never paid any student loans repayments. I remember seeing on the student loans company website that you can face heavy penalties for not keeping them informed of your income if you go abroad so it may be worth giving them a ring.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in this situation too, sent a letter with the associated forms back to the SLC saying I'll be leaving for Canada near the end of the year but will start paying my loan back before then, but all I've had back from them is a letter saying they haven't had my initial letter/forms yet...so yeah I guess I have to get back to them about that first, then address the Canada thing...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lethe
Hi all, I have a general question for any graduates who are off on BUNAC this year. If you still owe on your loans are you informing the Student Loans Company that you'll be out of the country for more than 3 months or are you just going to leave? I've read through the website and I can't see myself being lucky enough to earn $30000 over the year so I probably won't be contributing to my loan...also are you going to inform the tax office that you're leaving?

cheers, Lethe.
I've told the student loan people both times I came out here...if you aren't earning enough it's not a problem you just tell them that and show proof of savings if that's what you're living off, or I think I sent them one of my pay slips with a letter stating I was in a temp position and earning crappy money.

I've recently just started paying back my loan while I'm out here as I'm finally earning enough to do so...this time I also told the tax office and sent them my P85 as they owe me tax and I won't be back before the end of the tax year. The first time I came over I didn't bother because I hadn't really earned any money.