Question about common-law

Old Nov 4th 2019, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

minis8i is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about common-law

I moved to Canada from the UK with my partner on open working visas (IEC) in September 2018. We have since been working and living on Canada and are about to apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class as we will have 1 year experience in NOC Class A and B jobs respectively.

We had planned to fill out separate applications as we didn't think we counted as common-law in Canada but when I was filling out my application I came across this:

A common-law partner is a person of the opposite or same sex with whom you have lived in a marital-type relationship continuously for a minimum of one (1) year and with whom you are not married. Once you have lived together for the first year, temporary separations will not end the relationship.

We have been living together for over a year (and 2 years before that in the UK) and share bills, own a car together etc. Should we be filling out our applications as a common-law application? If so do we need to get this verified by someone?

Also as a side note does anyone know if common-law affects how we are taxed? i.e. combined incomes or something

Thanks in advance for the help
Old Nov 5th 2019, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about common-law

Originally Posted by minis8i
I moved to Canada from the UK with my partner on open working visas (IEC) in September 2018. We have since been working and living on Canada and are about to apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class as we will have 1 year experience in NOC Class A and B jobs respectively.

We had planned to fill out separate applications as we didn't think we counted as common-law in Canada but when I was filling out my application I came across this:

A common-law partner is a person of the opposite or same sex with whom you have lived in a marital-type relationship continuously for a minimum of one (1) year and with whom you are not married. Once you have lived together for the first year, temporary separations will not end the relationship.

We have been living together for over a year (and 2 years before that in the UK) and share bills, own a car together etc. Should we be filling out our applications as a common-law application? If so do we need to get this verified by someone?

Also as a side note does anyone know if common-law affects how we are taxed? i.e. combined incomes or something

you sound like you would qualify as common law but check you can provide the required evidence in the checklist on IRCC website.

for taxes you both still file but in some ways it makes things better, I.e. transfer of RRSP contributions.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you both go on the same application - one of you is the lead applicant, the other the dependent. Common law for Immigration purposes is a minimum of 12 months continously living together in a marriage like relationship; you won't need everything on this link (you won't need to supply things like photos - this one is for when you are a permanent resident or citizen and want to sponsor your common law partner a. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...num=347&top=14

In fact if you didn't include each other you could be done for misrepresentation!

Taxes are not related to immigration but you should be including each other on your tax returns - another way of showing proof of common law status.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 5th 2019 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses, yes I can definitely provide the proof outlined in those documents (we have shared rental agreements and bills in Canada for the last year). Where do I submit all these documents? Do I have to obtain some form of certificate stating that we are common-law before we fill out our CEC applications? I can't seem to find the link for verifying that you are common-law anywhere on cic.gc.ca - only a form for sponsoring your spouse/common-law partner which is for people that already have PR or are a Canadian Citizen.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses, yes I can definitely provide the proof outlined in those documents (we have shared rental agreements and bills in Canada for the last year). Where do I submit all these documents? Do I have to obtain some form of certificate stating that we are common-law before we fill out our CEC applications? I can't seem to find the link for verifying that you are common-law anywhere on cic.gc.ca - only a form for sponsoring your spouse/common-law partner which is for people that already have PR or are a Canadian Citizen.
you submit it as part of your application for PR.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ess-check.html

Evidence of common-law union and cohabitation
Purpose

To validate marital status claims
Document requirements

This documentation is only requested when marital status is listed as common-law.
The applicant must submit a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union form [IMM 5409 (PDF, 636.51KB)] and evidence of cohabitation for a period of at least 12 continuous months.
Evidence of cohabitation includes but is not limited to
copies of joint bank account statements;
copies of leases;
utility bills.

Individuals who must submit this documentation

The principal applicant

Old Nov 6th 2019, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Awesome thank you both!