Quebec immigration

Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough
Default Quebec immigration

Just wondering if anyone here has gone the Quebec immigration route and if they could guide me through the mire?

Also wondering about the level of French required. I sat the TCF about a year ago and can rattle off my scores if needs be? Thanks!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Quebec immigration

Originally Posted by Steez1982
Just wondering if anyone here has gone the Quebec immigration route and if they could guide me through the mire?

Also wondering about the level of French required. I sat the TCF about a year ago and can rattle off my scores if needs be? Thanks!
Hi,

yes I am going through Quebec process. You first have to apply to Quebec Immigration for a CSQ. Quebc uses its own points selection system to select their immigrants. After you receive the CSQ (it can take from 2 weeks to several months) you then have to apply for your PR visa to the federal immigration. In some cases you can take the medical exam before applying to CIC to save some time. There is no concrete rule about level of french required but intermediate would be good. Basic level is acceptable if the rest of your case is rock solid. But the better your french the better your chances of success.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

as taken from http://immigratetoquebecfromquebec.b...f-process.html

Overview of the process
Here are the general steps that you'll need to follow in order to become a Permanent Resident (PR):

I. File an application for a Certificat de Selection du Quebec (CSQ) at the Montréal office of the Québec ministry of immigration (MICC):

1. You will need the application itself, supporting forms, documents showing your language skills, certified copies of everything (identity proof, education, work experience etc), proof of status in Quebec and Canada, as well as translations of documents.
2. You will receive an acknowledgment of receipt, followed by instructions to send extra documents (if missing), followed optionally by an invitation for an interview and finishing with the receipt of the CSQ itself.
3. This can last anywhere from 2 to 6 months, with the current average being around 3.5-4 months (from start to finish).

II. File an Application for Permanent Residence at the Consulate General in Buffalo, NY:

1. You will need the application itself, supporting forms, documents showing your identity, birth certificate, original police certificates, proof of status in Canada, the CSQ, as well as translations and certified copies of all of documents.
2. Be sure to answer ALL QUESTIONS in the application, even those that do not apply to you (just put "N/A" for those). The Buffalo consulate is known for being very quick at returning incomplete applications.
3. You will receive an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR), with, perhaps, medical instructions, and information on whether you're required to provide a Canadian RCMP criminal record or whether you are invited for an interview. You might also get an Initial Assessment (IA) which states that your file is complete and is waiting for the background check to complete.
4. Your file might get transferred to another consulate, for speedier processing.
5. After the background check is cleared, the medical results are in and everything is in order, you'll get an invitation to pick up the visa or to send in the passport. Be sure to follow the instructions of the particular consulate or embassy, since they are quite picky about the mailing instructions.
6. Complete applications that are in order and that don't require any special treatment (no suspicious background, no severe medical conditions etc) are usually dealt with in 4-8 months at Buffalo, from start to end.

III. "Land" at a Canadian Port of Entry. This can either be done by:

1. Going to the US border, entering the US (you might need a visa), making a U-turn and "landing" at the Canadian border. You don't need to go to the US, you can go anywhere else as long as you get out of Canada.
2. If and only if you have a work permit valid for at least one year, have been working for at least one year under that permit (in Canada) you can "land" without going out of Canada by going to an office of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). There's one in Montreal. (This has changed now, anyone can land in Canada if they're already legally in Canada)
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough

thank you!

well i'm in Canada on BUNAC for a year at the moment, so which office should I send all my docs to? the one in Quebec or the one in Paris??
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

montreal
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steez1982,

glad you're seriously considering the Quebec route now. Hope you get through, Kleinluka has given you a few good leads I must say-hope that helps.

thank you!

well i'm in Canada on BUNAC for a year at the moment, so which office should I send all my docs to? the one in Quebec or the one in Paris??
Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

thank you so much!

I just got back from a week in Montreal actually - thought I should go and check the place out in person before proceeding with any immigration malarky.

And even though I am a committed mountain girl and not a city fan in general I LOVED it! What a cool, cool place. Je reviens
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Brilliant, hope it works out for you then. This is probabaly an oversimplification but once the CSQ is obtained the remaining process is easy.

A bientôt alors, c’est n’est qu’en au revoir !

thank you so much!

I just got back from a week in Montreal actually - thought I should go and check the place out in person before proceeding with any immigration malarky.

And even though I am a committed mountain girl and not a city fan in general I LOVED it! What a cool, cool place. Je reviens
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

oops, french grammar:
should read: Ce nest qu'un au revoir

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
Brilliant, hope it works out for you then. This is probabaly an oversimplification but once the CSQ is obtained the remaining process is easy.

A bientôt alors, c’est n’est qu’en au revoir !