qualifications ???

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

chloequay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default qualifications ???

what qualifications should i have for canada ???
i'm a 35 year old male with no qualifications but ive worked hard at a builders merchants and have a good track record of selling to trade accounts. i'm considering going for an HGV license to help me.
my partner is 36 and she is training to have an HNC in social cae followed a year later with an HND in social care.
in 3 years time thats the qualifications she'll have, hopefully we'd have something like £40000-£50000 to come over with in the perfect world.
our daughter at this time is 9 years of age
will we be okay with her qualifications ?
what qualifications would really help us ?
would £40000 be sufficient to help us move over and get a deposit on a house ?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:38 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: qualifications ???

Hello, chloequay, and welcome to the BE forum.

The BE Wiki article called Occupations under Pressure will give you some sense of which occupations are in demand in various provinces.

Although I'm not in the field myself, I get the impression that your partner would need a university degree in order to have much chance in social work and related fields (if I've correctly understood what her occupation is).

I think it will be very difficult for either of you to get a job that will get you a temporary work permit in Canada. To do that, you have to find a job that no qualified Canadian resident wants.

Some British expats have gained entry to Canada as long distance truck drivers. However, having an HGV licence, on its own, is not enough. You have to have some experience of driving heavy duty trucks. You'd be able to find out more about that from the Wiki called Truck Driving in Canada and from the Trucking forum here at BE.

Moving across an ocean is expensive. You have to pay for flights, removalists, new white goods (because Canadian electricity is different) and a new car or cars. It's also very beneficial to do a recce trip to Canada if at all possible before deciding whether or not to move there. Even with only one car and without a recce trip, I don't think you'd see much change from £30,000.

And, even beyond the move itself, will you be able to enter occupations that will earn you enough to go back to the UK for visits (and, frankly, for funerals and things of that nature)?

You would need some very solid reasons for wanting to move to Canada to make the sacrifices worthwhile, in my opinion.

If you are going to do any due diligence at all and try to assess whether or not you're doing the right thing, you MUST read the Moving back to the UK forum.

You also need to read the Canada Challenges section of the BE Wiki.

If you're still determined to soldier on, read Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

Hope that helps.
x