Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER WORK PERMIT DENIAL SCENARIO

ANOTHER WORK PERMIT DENIAL SCENARIO

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future
Default ANOTHER WORK PERMIT DENIAL SCENARIO

I am in a horrible situation, in 2003, I applied for a Tourist visa, it was initially denied, but when I re-applied the next day, it was issued. I was told that being Zimbabwean meant that I would not return to the UK after my holiday, despite having lived in the UK since 1998. In 2007, I applied for a USA student visa, it too was initially denied, then given the next day- same reasons for denial were given. I have always been proud of being Zimbabwean, despite what is happening there now and have not become British even though I qualify. (maybe I should just denounce my mother country)
I regret having submitted my work permit application now...I wonder whether I should have applied for a British passport first. Is it possible that my work permit application will be refused- if the officer believes I would not be returning to the UK at the end of the 3 years that my LMO states( I am now a permanent resident here, married to a Belgian).
the problem is surely they know that most people go on a work permit and then apply for permanen residency once in Canada. Would they give - no intention to return to the UK as grounds to deny me a work permit??
My OH is a nurse too- if that makes a difference.
SCARED!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANOTHER WORK PERMIT DENIAL SCENARIO

If you are Zimbabwean I would have thought your Number One priority would be to get a British passport (if you're in the U.K.) before thinking about any other options.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

well when I left Zimbabwe 10 years ago, it was still a beautiful country and in fact most other african nationals were dying for a zimbabwean passport. I suppose I had that mentality (proud to be zimbabwean etc) for a long time and only since recently feeling prejudiced against, somewhat embarrassed and certainly appalled by the atrocities happening there, I would like to get a british passport. But as my application is in now, the question is now am I at a disadvantage because I am zimbabwean, regardless orf my political views/opinions?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:34 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You are at disadvantage due to your shopping for visas and lack of substantial ties to home country.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

I'd hardly call it shopping! I love to travel, and being zimbabwean means I have to get a visa for every country I travel to.
Thanks for your help anyway. I guess if worse comes to worse, my husband will apply for a work permit, since he is not zimbabwean

Last edited by sioux; Jun 22nd 2008 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

nataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sioux
well when I left Zimbabwe 10 years ago, it was still a beautiful country and in fact most other african nationals were dying for a zimbabwean passport. I suppose I had that mentality (proud to be zimbabwean etc) for a long time and only since recently feeling prejudiced against, somewhat embarrassed and certainly appalled by the atrocities happening there, I would like to get a british passport. But as my application is in now, the question is now am I at a disadvantage because I am zimbabwean, regardless orf my political views/opinions?
Sioux, being a South African passport holder I understand where you are coming from. I don't think you have anything to worry about though, especially since you are married to a Belgian National and a Permanent Resident in the UK, you have ties to Europe.

Don't make the same mistake I did 6 years ago, get your British Passport asap!!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Nataliehahn, I was just about to burst into tears a minute ago, you managed to pick me up. I just hope whoever deals with my application sees it that way too.
I will try and sort something out before we leave
Are you still in the UK? What happened to you six years ago?You went the PNP route straight away? My employer will sponsor permanent residency after 3 months probation.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

nataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to allnataliehahn is a name known to all

No, I am in Canada. I left the UK 6 years ago and went back to South Africa. I am so sorry that I didn't apply for a British passport before I left.

Anyhow, yes, I applied for PNP straight away.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sioux
I'd hardly call it shopping! I love to travel, and being zimbabwean means I have to get a visa for every country I travel to.
Thanks for your help anyway. I guess if worse comes to worse, my husband will apply for a work permit, since he is not zimbabwean
You would still need a temporary resident visa due to your passport.

This is not what you want to hear, probably, but due to the rampant economic and social decline in Zimbabwe the Zimbabwe passport is now next to worthless as a travel document.

You should also be aware of two things:

1. The Zimbabwe authorities have been refusing passport renewals overseas. So if you lose your passport, you cannot renew it without returning to Zimbabwe. I have come across a number of situations of this type.

2. If you have U.K. permanent resident status then you need to be aware that you will lose this if you leave the U.K. to live elsewhere.

In my opinion you are extremely foolish if you leave the United Kingdom before getting your British citizenship.

Also be aware that if you intend to leave the U.K. a naturalisation application can be refused (except for spouses of British citizens).

So best to forget the idea of Canada for now.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:14 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nataliehahn
I don't think you have anything to worry about though, especially since you are married to a Belgian National and a Permanent Resident in the UK, you have ties to Europe.
Being married to Belgian national and having PR status in UK doesn't constitute any substantial ties to Europe. Having real estate, above average paid permanent job waiting for your return, other than family and/or immigration status motivation to return to home country, etc. constitutes substantial ties.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:29 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

For the love of Pete, sioux, get British citizenship before you do anything else.

You're on the Titanic. Stop re-arranging the deck chairs.

Judy in Calgary, ex Swaziland.
x
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Being married to Belgian national and having PR status in UK doesn't constitute any substantial ties to Europe. Having real estate, above average paid permanent job waiting for your return, other than family and/or immigration status motivation to return to home country, etc. constitutes substantial ties.
Having been through the work permit application process and a gruelling interview the fact that I have a German spouse helped me considerably. Even though we were living in South Africa prior to arriving in Canada they took into consideration the fact that we could go to Europe when the work permit expired and didn't have to return to South Africa.

Anyhow, she has already made the application. Before jumping to conclusions let's just wait and see what the outcome is, and Sioux, if I were you I would get onto that naturalisation application tomorrow!!

Last edited by nataliehahn; Jun 23rd 2008 at 1:15 am.