Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PRTD or UK to Seattle to Vancouver

PRTD or UK to Seattle to Vancouver

Old Apr 30th 2018, 4:23 am
Just Joined

worriedbrit1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PRTD or UK to Seattle to Vancouver

Hello,

I was hoping that the collective wisdom on this board could help me work out which option is best for me.

I am a recent permanent resident (March 2018) and a British citizen living in Vancouver. I had booked a trip back to the UK with my girlfriend (Canadian citizen) around the time I submitted my PR application, I didn't expect for a second that my application would processed so quickly.

In my delight at receiving my COPR, I rushed to flagpole that day. I did not realise until I was at the border that implications this would have for my travel plans. The border guard at the time suggested I should have my PR card in time for travel but if I did not it I could talk to my airline and/or it would be worth flying into Seattle and driving across the border to solve any issues.

I'm a bit stuck as to which option is best for me now.

1. PRTD
- I arrive in the UK in mid May and would be =present for around 9/10 business days, although I could change my return flight if my employer was extremely understanding.

I don't intend to be near London so would be sending my documents the morning I land to the VAC by special delivery/courier. Is 9/10 business days a remotely possible turnaround time at the London Visa Office?

My worry isn't necessarily the time to process my application but being able to receive the returned document and passport in time. Are the DX Couriers reliable and speedy? Are you able to collect from a depot in the event of non-delivery?

2. I have found appropriate flights to Seattle which I could make the 'return' leg of my journey on, however, I am worried that returning via the US and driving across the border opens up a whole new can of worms. How do I prove to the CBP that my plan to drive across the border is acceptable?

I have a valid ESTA but my worry would be that I would have no return or onward journey booked. I was by a CBP agent that this 'should' present no difficulties for me but I am not sure how best to approach this method. I see the arriving at the border by 'private vehicle' approach suggested a lot but I worry that entering the US or trying to board a flight to the US on a one-way ticket may lead to complications.

If my girlfriend is picking me up from the airport, is that enough?

My understanding is that Canadian permanent residents from visa-waiver countries shouldn't face many difficulties gained entry to the US but I cannot find adequate information to help me decide whether to 'risk' paying so much money for this option.

My major concerns are as follows that the PRTD process may result in an extended period of unpaid leave after my vacation time before I can safely fly to Canada. By concern with the UK>USA>Canada approach is being denied entry to the US or denied boarding onto the flight.

Any help, reassurance or personal experiences would so greatly appreciated. I feel very overwhelmed by my error in landing when I did, to cancel my plans or to be delayed returning to Canada would disappoint so many and complicate 'dream' life I was building.

Last edited by worriedbrit1; Apr 30th 2018 at 6:11 am.
Old May 1st 2018, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD or UK to Seattle to Vancouver

I would send a Webform to IRCC including your travel itinerary and an explanation. You might not get any response or you might get told to apply for a PRTD. But you never know: your PR Card just might turn up in the mail.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-r...e-cas-eng.aspx

Processing times are showing 57 days for initial PR Cards.
Old May 1st 2018, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I had to apply for a PRTD card in Mexico.The VAC in Mexico City told it would 7 to 10 business days for me to receive my PRTD ,I got it in 7 business days which is pretty good for Mexico.If you have been told by the VAC in UK it will be 9 or 10 business days I would go with that and if you have to ,get a later flight back to Canada.Going through the US seems a lot of hassle just to save one or two days of waiting if so.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Would you not just be able to provide the US officer proof of an address in Canada and your COPR paperwork? that should satisfy them you are leaving. If asked just explain the situation. Lots of people do it this way as a result of the problems with flying without a PR card.