Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

A few questions about ‘Letter of interest OINP’

A few questions about ‘Letter of interest OINP’

Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few questions about ‘Letter of interest OINP’

After submitting out EE application on Saturday, we received a Letter if interest for OINP. After looking on the Ontario Immigration website, it says that one of the requirements is work experience within Ontario and currently residing there on a work visa;

Ontario’s Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream Criteria
To be eligible to apply, you must meet the following provincial criteria:

Work Experience: A minimum of one year of full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) work experience in Ontario within two years from the date of your Notification of Interest from Ontario. Work experience must be in a skilled trade occupation listed in Minor Group 633 or Major Group 72, 73, or 82 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
Trade Certification (if required): A trade license or certification from the Ontario College of Trades if working/have worked in an occupation in Ontario that requires a license or certification.
Current Residence in Ontario: Currently residing in Ontario on a valid work permit.

We live in the UK but have Canadian work experience (in BC and AB 8 years ago, NOC 72, automotive trade). I’m confused as to why we have an interest for PNP in Ontario if we don’t meet the said requirements? Is this just a generic interest they send out? I know it is only a letter of interest and there is still a chance we aren’t eligible, but we don’t want to agree and take our application ‘out of view’ from other possible offers if this is something they send out a lot.
TIA.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions about ‘Letter of interest OINP’

Does the notice actually specify the Skilled Trades route?

My guess is that this would be the one that you’d be eligible for and should have been invited under - http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...E_CAPITAL.html

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 27th 2018 at 6:11 am.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Richos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond reputeRichos_9 has a reputation beyond repute

This was our message, I can’t see anything other than PNP?!......

The Government of Ontario is interested in considering you for nomination under its Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) through Express Entry.
If you want Ontario to consider you for nomination under its PNP you must contact Ontario directly after receiving this letter. Note that this letter of interest is not a guarantee that you will be nominated by Ontario. You will first have to satisfy Ontario that you meet the requirements of their program.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so why do you think you’ve been sent a NOI for the trades stream? I’m confused!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

I must be very confused then! Maybe I’ve just assumed that as my husband is a trades job, it would be that! Is this a standard PNP interest?
Sorry if I’m confusing you more!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Richos_9
I must be very confused then! Maybe I’ve just assumed that as my husband is a trades job, it would be that! Is this a standard PNP interest?
Ah, I see - I thought you'd been told which stream you were being sent the NOI under!

If he wouldn't be eligible under the trades stream then you can ignore that. As above, the most likely is the Human Capital Priorities stream, and he must be eligible or they wouldn't have sent the NOI!

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 12:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richos_9
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...PITAL_WHO.html
To qualify under Ontario’s Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream, you must:

Have a valid profile in the Express Entry pool;
Qualify for either the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Canadian Experience Class (CEC);
Indicate an interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories” when you create a profile in Express Entry; AND
Have received a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account.

You will be asked to select which federal program(s) you would like to be assessed against for your application to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

Under the Trades Stream OINP-Ontario Express Entry: Skilled Trades Stream - How to apply it says

If OINP identifies you in the Express Entry pool, you will receive a Notification of Interest from Ontario through your IRCC online account. This notification will indicate that you may apply to OINP for nomination under the Skilled Trades Stream.
So if it was Trades Stream the Letter of interest would have said so...

I think Christmasoompa nailed it!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 27th 2018 at 12:20 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your replies. It doesn’t state anywhere on the LOI that it is for skilled trades, so it can’t be, which surprises me. But I guess we are not eligible as it requires you to be working in Ontario and also to have had work experience in Ontario within the last 2 years, our experience in Canada was 7.5 years ago.

For the Human Capital stream, I’m not sure if we tick every box for CEC or FSW;

We don’t have Canadian work experience in the last 3 years, it was 7.5 years ago.
My husbands qualification is city & guilds so not worth getting assessed (no degree or equivalent as it says it requires)
He does have the red seal certificate.
We only have 296 points in the CRS.

Sorry if I’m being abit thick! I just thought that as our points were so low, the only way we’d get in was through the trade stream.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're not being thick, I'm just as confused as you now - the minimum CRS points threshold for OINP is 400! So why on earth they've sent you a NOI I've no idea.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

How very strange!! So if we decide to go for the OINP, which we probably should as our points are quite low and I’m not sure we will get picked for anything else. How do we know what stream to apply under?!?! It’s like a mind game, trying to guess what we think they think we may be eligible for, as on paper, we are not eligible for any through the OINP route! Frustrating!!!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Has he by any chance been offered a job in Ontario? Thinking 'foreign worker stream' OINP: Employer Job Offer Stream - Foreign Worker: Who Can Apply

Does he speak French? Thinking this stream - there's no minimum CRS score OINP-Ontario Express Entry: French Speaking Skilled Workers

this link shows latest notice of interest categories etc., http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPNOI.html

(clutching at straws, lol)

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 28th 2018 at 12:31 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

I read the link of the latest interest categories, but still confused as we don’t meet any!
My husband doesn’t speak French or has no job offer. He is a manager for a major car company and I know they have a head office in Mississauga, but there’s no job offer (we’ve tried!). Could they have sent the NOI by mistake maybe?! Or maybe we will be one of the few that get an interest with the lowest points. I really am baffled!
Old May 2nd 2018, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

So I spoke with someone today from Ontario Immigration in regards to which stream to apply under for the OINP. I was told the table of results have been updated on their site and I should find the dates that the NOI’s were sent out along with the stream that the NOI was for. Well, we have been given a NOI under the FST stream. I was also told that they send out their NOI to candidates, even if they don’t meet all of the criteria. It is then up to the candidate to look in to their eligibility for that stream.I know that when you get a NOI, that doesn’t guarantee you to be picked, but I am slightly baffled by the process. It clearly states that to be eligible for OINP, you must reside in Ontario and have at least one years work experience in Ontario. Minefield!!!