Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

provincial nominee program question

provincial nominee program question

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default provincial nominee program question

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if someone can clear something up for me. I have looked on the CIC website but I am still confused.

I am planning on applying for permanent residency asap. I am a nurse so my employer is happy to sponsor me under the provincial nominee program as it is apparently quicker. Does anyone know that if I undertake this that once I receive my PR card I will only be able to work for the province that sponsors me and not move to another part of Canada? I am a little worried as on the paperwork u have to sign to say u will be staying in the province that sponsors you.

If this is so can I just apply myself without employers help, is that the skilled worker?

Also is anyone aware of how long PR application takes if I do it myself under another catagory? The PNP is around a year I have been told and apparently all other classes are 3 years (accordingly to my agency).

Hope you can help. I love where I am but at some point would like to experience other parts of Canada as well.

Thanks Kezza 708
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: provincial nominee program question

Originally Posted by kezza708
The PNP is around a year I have been told and apparently all other classes are 3 years (accordingly to my agency).
Your agency is incorrect, Skilled Worker visas only take 6-12 months (most are about 8 months in total). Generally quicker than PNP.

It used to take several years, but the wait time has been reduced dramatically since the system was overhauled in 2008, so your agency are probably just a bit behind the times.

If you wish to be able to move freely within Canada and get PR as quickly as possible, you'd probably be better applying as a Skilled Worker imo.

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Hi I am a nurse and had to complete 12m working for Alberta health in order to qualify for pnp sponsership, but that might have changed since 07. I put my PNP in last spring and that took 5 weeks to get approval. I then sent all docs for PR to Buffalo, recieved 5th aug. We got med requests 5th Nov, Meds done 18th Dec, passport request 25th Jan. So all in all the PNP route took us just over 5 months.
I think I am suposed to stay in provence for at least 12m, but a British doc I worked with moved to Ontario just after getting his

Last edited by bear-diesel; Feb 23rd 2010 at 9:24 pm. Reason: forgot the ??
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kezza708
I am planning on applying for permanent residency asap. I am a nurse so my employer is happy to sponsor me under the provincial nominee program as it is apparently quicker. Does anyone know that if I undertake this that once I receive my PR card I will only be able to work for the province that sponsors me and not move to another part of Canada? I am a little worried as on the paperwork u have to sign to say u will be staying in the province that sponsors you.

Thanks Kezza 708

Hello Kezza,

I've included some information below to answer your question on moving provinces. However i do believe there to be an expectation that you make a 'reasonable attempt' to settle in your sponsoring province.

Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Section 6 (Mobility).

1.Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.

2.Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

http://www.charterofrights.ca/en/15_00_01

As for timeframes, i am a nurse also and applied through the PNP. After submitting the application to CIC London 1st October 2009, Medical request 10th Feb 2010, i believe we are now approx 6 weeks from being issued our PR Visa. Full timeline below..

Hope i've answered your query

Last edited by Psyched; Feb 24th 2010 at 10:48 am. Reason: Typo