Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I've made the decision, Canada is calling!

I've made the decision, Canada is calling!

Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

elliothaughin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've made the decision, Canada is calling!

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for such a great forum, it's a wonderful resource and has some fantastic little 'gems' of info on moving abroad.

For some time I've been considering moving away and after much consideration I've decided that Canada is the country for me.

I'm currently studying for a BSc in Computing Science and the University of Aberdeen. I'm in my first year and will be looking to apply for my visa after completing my degree (2013) - Yes, I know it's a long way off, but things like moving to another country should be planned way in advance.

I do have some questions though.

Firstly, I've been right through the CIC website, and I believe the best option for me will be the skilled workers class. I'm a freelance web developer and have been in web development for 5 years.
(I'm 23, decided to start working first then get a degree later)

After completing my degree I will start my application process, because the degree will boost my 'points'.

I have however previously received a criminal conviction. In 2005 I was charged with the 'Misuse of a Computer', for which I pleaded guilty, and received and 18 month condition discharge. (Which in essence says that if I do nothing wrong for 18 months, there's no punishment, but if I was convicted of something else during this period I would also receive a punishment for the original offense) This was my first and only offense.

Anyway, the 18 months went and passed with no run-ins with the law, and haven't ever since.

I believe by the time I apply for my degree I can contact the Information Commissioner with the police and request that the information of this offense be removed from records under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

I think for certain sentences you have a period of time that elapses then you can request it be removed. (Although it is still kept in a higher level national security file for the intelligence and military)

So, assuming this be removed, I can then send a 'clean' CRB check with my application.

Has anyone else done this before (had the information removed).

I imagine that even with this transgression I could still get a visa.

Another question I have is regarding employer sponsorship. As a freelancer I love my job, I get to work where and when I please for clients i 'like'. But, I wouldn't be closed-minded about the idea of going back to a 9-5 for the right company.

I was considering sending my application without an employer sponsor to save on red-tape and give me the freedom to pick a job when I move there.

Is employer sponsorship a huge deal?

Without it I get 69 on the points test (assuming I get my degree), and if I took some french classes whilst here at university, I could probably boost them too.

Anyway, one final question: As a british person living in canada under a permanent working visa, are there any restrictions in terms of buying property? Has anyone had any issues with it?

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your responses.

I'll also try to keep this update with news on my conviction once I start requesting it be removed.

Regards,

Elliot
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:15 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've made the decision, Canada is calling!

Originally Posted by elliothaughin
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for such a great forum, it's a wonderful resource and has some fantastic little 'gems' of info on moving abroad.

For some time I've been considering moving away and after much consideration I've decided that Canada is the country for me.

I'm currently studying for a BSc in Computing Science and the University of Aberdeen. I'm in my first year and will be looking to apply for my visa after completing my degree (2013) - Yes, I know it's a long way off, but things like moving to another country should be planned way in advance.

I do have some questions though.

Firstly, I've been right through the CIC website, and I believe the best option for me will be the skilled workers class. I'm a freelance web developer and have been in web development for 5 years.
(I'm 23, decided to start working first then get a degree later)

After completing my degree I will start my application process, because the degree will boost my 'points'.

I have however previously received a criminal conviction. In 2005 I was charged with the 'Misuse of a Computer', for which I pleaded guilty, and received and 18 month condition discharge. (Which in essence says that if I do nothing wrong for 18 months, there's no punishment, but if I was convicted of something else during this period I would also receive a punishment for the original offense) This was my first and only offense.

Anyway, the 18 months went and passed with no run-ins with the law, and haven't ever since.

I believe by the time I apply for my degree I can contact the Information Commissioner with the police and request that the information of this offense be removed from records under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

I think for certain sentences you have a period of time that elapses then you can request it be removed. (Although it is still kept in a higher level national security file for the intelligence and military)

So, assuming this be removed, I can then send a 'clean' CRB check with my application.

Has anyone else done this before (had the information removed).

I imagine that even with this transgression I could still get a visa.

Another question I have is regarding employer sponsorship. As a freelancer I love my job, I get to work where and when I please for clients i 'like'. But, I wouldn't be closed-minded about the idea of going back to a 9-5 for the right company.

I was considering sending my application without an employer sponsor to save on red-tape and give me the freedom to pick a job when I move there.

Is employer sponsorship a huge deal?

Without it I get 69 on the points test (assuming I get my degree), and if I took some french classes whilst here at university, I could probably boost them too.

Anyway, one final question: As a british person living in canada under a permanent working visa, are there any restrictions in terms of buying property? Has anyone had any issues with it?

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to your responses.

I'll also try to keep this update with news on my conviction once I start requesting it be removed.

Regards,

Elliot
Hi Elliot

You are planning well in advance - I ummd & ahd for a few years (+visits).

Anyway, I can't help you on the rehabilitation point but you might want to look into the BUNAC scheme - it is for those under 30/31 and gives a years working visa.

Whilst not the permanent residency it would give good experience & a really good shot of getting canadian work experience & contacts, if not actually leading to employer sponsorship.

Not done it myself, but wish I did when younger to be honest.

You can apply for FSW1 category without a job offer but then need to be on one of the 38 listed occupations & have at least 1 year's experience in that role to apply - it isn't just about the points.

Not sure if your job/s on the list but I will find the link & you can check it out.

The wiki on the blue bar at the top has good info, as does the CIC web site.

Have fun reading.

Bali

wiki:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

CIC 38 list:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigra...structions.asp

Last edited by Bali2010; Jan 5th 2010 at 6:19 pm. Reason: adding links
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Hi Elliot

You are planning well in advance - I ummd & ahd for a few years (+visits).

Anyway, I can't help you on the rehabilitation point but you might want to look into the BUNAC scheme - it is for those under 30/31 and gives a years working visa.

Whilst not the permanent residency it would give good experience & a really good shot of getting canadian work experience & contacts, if not actually leading to employer sponsorship.

Not done it myself, but wish I did when younger to be honest.
I'm in a similar situation tbh, I just turned 28 and I got the ball rolling on my registration for YMS yesterday. I am reasonably comfortable in the UK at the moment but I love North America and this has given me a bit of a proverbial kick up the arse so to speak in some ways, I just figured that if I didn't do it now then I may never will.

Just for the OP, I'm thinking that your conviction was for hacking-related or breach of copyright offences. If it's the latter than a country like Canada will probably be willing to accomodate you with the right level of experience and legal rehabilitation. If however it is for the former then you may struggle a bit since that is taken very seriously unfortunately and can do a lot of damage to somebody's reputation and record.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 5th 2010 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

...(2013)....

...I have however previously received a criminal conviction. In 2005 I was charged with the 'Misuse of a Computer', for which I pleaded guilty, and received and 18 month condition discharge. (Which in essence says that if I do nothing wrong for 18 months, there's no punishment, but if I was convicted of something else during this period I would also receive a punishment for the original offense) This was my first and only offense.

It will not be removed from your record. Even if your police record check came back blank it is not a good idea to try and hide a criminal conviction on your application form.

Five years after the completion of your sentence (i.e. 2005 + 18 months + 5 years so sometime in 2011) you can apply to CIC to be rehabilitated. This takes a round a year so it should tie in with your 2013 application date. I assume you would be granted rehabilitation and (as long as you have done nothing wrong sin the meantime) you would put this on your application form and it would not count against you.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

Hi everyone,

I have however previously received a criminal conviction. In 2005 I was charged with the 'Misuse of a Computer', for which I pleaded guilty, and received and 18 month condition discharge..

Elliot

Am i the only one wondering what 'Misuse of a Computer' means? Did you try and use it as a coffee table?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:34 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It means being naughty in one of the geekiest ways possible aside from shoplifting at a star trek convention.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:00 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johngrimes
Am i the only one wondering what 'Misuse of a Computer' means? Did you try and use it as a coffee table?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point

i really want to know what he did then. come on you can trust us we wont take the piss...

...much.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:45 pm
Patricia Parker

Patricia Parker is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Elliott
Buying a house in Canada does not have any special conditions, you are treated the same way as a Canadian buyer, in Nova Scotia, for example you will pay about $1,000 CAD for closing/lawyer's costs and about 1-1.5 percent of the purchase price for a deed transfer tax, but that is just the same for a resident.
What you might also want to look into are the provincial programs for immigration and in Nova Scotia and in Quebec the rules are a lot more flexible because they want skilled workers and that would be you.
best
pat parker

Last edited by iaink; Jan 6th 2010 at 6:37 pm. Reason: Link in sig file only please.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Were you charged under this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Misuse_Act_1990

Hacking?

Don't see it as a problem as long as you're upfront and honest in declaring everything. Maybe get the advice of an immigration lawyer though just before you start filling in the masses of paperwork.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NovaScotiaTownandCountry
Dear Elliott
Buying a house in Canada does not have any special conditions, you are treated the same way as a Canadian buyer, in Nova Scotia, for example you will pay about $1,000 CAD for closing/lawyer's costs and about 1-1.5 percent of the purchase price for a deed transfer tax, but that is just the same for a resident.
What you might also want to look into are the provincial programs for immigration and in Nova Scotia and in Quebec the rules are a lot more flexible because they want skilled workers and that would be you.
best
pat parker
Please note that user names that are domain names, company name or product names, and links within posts to your business (other than in your sig file) are not allowed.

I suggest that after you have posted another few times to activate your private messaging, you then contact admin Sue to request a name change to something that wont have all the other realtors here up in arms. Either that or just re-register with a different name and I will delete that one. Thanks.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 6th 2010 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:57 pm
Patricia Parker

Hi
Sorry to have offended. Can we just use my name as Patricia Parker?
best
pat
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:00 pm
Patricia Parker

Hi
How do I contact Sue directly as signing up was a really time consuming thing for me...the objects in the box make me think I am dyslexic as it took me 10 times to get them right.
best
pat
I did send a note off to someone to see about advertising and paying like I am supposed to but I have not heard back as yet.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johngrimes
Brilliant!!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NovaScotiaTownandCountry
Hi
Sorry to have offended. Can we just use my name as Patricia Parker?
best
pat
No worries, I'll ask Sue to take care of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.