Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR for my father - Pls Advice Andrew Miller

PR for my father - Pls Advice Andrew Miller

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:57 am
Just Joined

baigmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR for my father - Pls Advice Andrew Miller

Hello once again,

I am a landed immigrant and want to call my parents to Canada.

My father is a lawyer and is a double graduate BA, LLB
He is 59 yrs old and very fluent in English.
He has an experience as a lawyer for over 25 years.
My mother is also a law graduate but she never practised.
I have a younger brother below 18 yrs.

Please advice, whether my father will qualify for the Canadian Immigration.

thanks
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Re: PR for my father - Pls Advice Andrew Miller

If you can financially sponsor your parents then you can apply family class, that would be a faster and less risky track, in this case their qualifications are irrelevant.

If you can not sponsor them then your family can apply as skilled worker , with your father being the principle applicant, in this case you need to calculate how many points they will make and see if they qualify or not, you can take the test here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

but be aware that it may take years to complete this process unlike family class which usually less thatn a year

good luck

Originally Posted by baigmd
Hello once again,

I am a landed immigrant and want to call my parents to Canada.

My father is a lawyer and is a double graduate BA, LLB
He is 59 yrs old and very fluent in English.
He has an experience as a lawyer for over 25 years.
My mother is also a law graduate but she never practised.
I have a younger brother below 18 yrs.

Please advice, whether my father will qualify for the Canadian Immigration.

thanks
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Total points which come after assessing

Education double degree 22
Language English Fluent 16
4+ yrs exp 21
Mother Qualification degree 4
Relative - son 5
Age 0
----
Total 68

I am also planning to add basic french point of 4 as in the meantime he can take a course from Alliance French.

I have just landed in canada and need to find job and then show certain amount of money ....and amount will increase by adding each additional family member.

Any other advice ....thanks
Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hi

I just checked the guidelines - Basic French will only give you a maximum of 2 points.

kaz x

I am also planning to add basic french point of 4 as in the meantime he can take a course from Alliance French.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Otherwise I will apply for him as Moderate in French and let the officials give him as many points as they want because even 1 point will be an advantage.

Even without french points he is getting 68, provided in English he gets all the 16 points. And I am sure he will get 16 points for english as he is a lawyer and has great command over the language.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:23 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Otherwise I will apply for him as Moderate in French and let the officials give him as many points as they want because even 1 point will be an advantage.

Even without french points he is getting 68, provided in English he gets all the 16 points. And I am sure he will get 16 points for english as he is a lawyer and has great command over the language.

Hi,

Your father will not be able to get french language points by just taking a course at Alliance Frainse. He needs to take "Official French Language" test and submit the score to CHC to claim points.

Being a law degree doesnot automatically gives 16 points. One needs to prove that and bets method is to take IELTS and score 7 in each band

Good luck

newlooks
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Is your dad a native English speaker? Was he born, raised and educated in Britain? Is so then IELTS is not necessary, just a a letter with sufficient evidence proving that.

If not, then IELTS is the only way to go to guarantee 16 points.

Kaz x
Old Aug 6th 2005, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem

but be aware that it may take years to complete this process unlike family class which usually less thatn a year

good luck

As far as I know, parent migration typically takes a lot longer than a year.

Jeremy
Old Aug 6th 2005, 1:47 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not faster - it is the slowest route.

At present just the approval of sponsor in Canada when sponsoring parents takes more than 2 years:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...rocess-in.html

and processing times get longer and longer (in past 12 or so months get longer every monyj by additional month).

And then processing time for PR visa in visa post processing immigration applications from parents' country:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...c-parents.html

So, the total processing time will be at least 3-4 years and may take as long as 6 to 7+ years depending from parents' country of nationality or habitual residence. And only if processing times remain unchaged which is not the case.

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
If you can financially sponsor your parents then you can apply family class, that would be a faster and less risky track, in this case their qualifications are irrelevant.

good luck