PR and JOB advice

Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PR and JOB advice

For the FSW under NOC codes of 217 and 228 in the NOC matrix can i make an application from the UK without having a pre arranged job offer?

If no then it looks like i will have to do it while I am there on BUNACS TWP but what is the tendency for companies to assist foreign workers with this sort of stuff?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyN
For the FSW under NOC codes of 217 and 228 in the NOC matrix can i make an application from the UK without having a pre arranged job offer?
No. Please do read the Wiki and CIC website so that you understand - for a FSW visa you need either a years work experience in one of the 29 eligible occupations OR a job offer approved by HRSDC. I don't understand the codes you've given above (they should be four numbers) but don't believe either of them are on 'the list' so you cannot apply without a job offer.

If no then it looks like i will have to do it while I am there on BUNACS TWP but what is the tendency for companies to assist foreign workers with this sort of stuff?
Depends. As I said previously, you need to work really hard and make yourself indispensable so that they'll do it to keep you. Plenty of people have done it from a Bunac visa, so it's definitely possible.

Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No. Please do read the Wiki and CIC website so that you understand - for a FSW visa you need either a years work experience in one of the 29 eligible occupations OR a job offer approved by HRSDC. I don't understand the codes you've given above (they should be four numbers) but don't believe either of them are on 'the list' so you cannot apply without a job offer.

Depends. As I said previously, you need to work really hard and make yourself indispensable so that they'll do it to keep you. Plenty of people have done it from a Bunac visa, so it's definitely possible.

I took the codes from the NOC matrix but yeah i thought as much i need to have the job offer in place.

Sorry if seem confused just so much reading and abbreviations to remember.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if seem confused just so much reading and abbreviations to remember.
That's ok, I know it's a lot to take in. Just read, let it sink in, and then read again and hopefully it will make sense!

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

I wanted to post this question on this thread as someone stated on another one i posted that Bunac visa is not TWP?

Advice?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I wanted to post this question on this thread as someone stated on another one i posted that Bunac visa is not TWP?

Advice?
Bunac visa = Working Holiday Visa. An open work permit for fixed duration i.e. one year

TWP = Temporary Work Permit. A work permit for 2 or 3 years, on which you can only work for your 'sponsoring' employer (whoever got the LMO for you) and are tied to them.

HTH.

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again as always

So TWP I would really only be able to get if i got pre-arranged employment and the employer got the LMO
therefore not a choice for me at moment as need to get this visa before im 31 in march

Bunac is WHV so one year and from what I have read the only way i can stay a year longer is as a FSW2 and my employer is willing to apply for a LMO

My question now is....the only realistic month I can move to CAnada on WHV is May and if all goes well i should have my visa before im 31 in february if all goes well. Therefore realistically i will never get a full years work although my last 6 years in UK have been an IT role.

Will this cause issues or prevent me applying for PR through FSW2?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Therefore realistically i will never get a full years work although my last 6 years in UK have been an IT role.
Why won't you? Your visa doesn't start until you enter Canada on it, giving you the full year there - you can leave it until December to go if you want, and it would still give you a year.

Further, another tip for you is to enter on a visitor visa (just tell the immigration officer you don't want to activate your Bunac just yet), then when you've actually found a job you can 'flagpole' to activate your Bunac. That way, you don't waste a couple of of months of your Bunac on job hunting.

And it's unlikely you'll get straight from Bunac to PR, so think of going from Bunac to a TWP, then upgrading to PR at a later date.

Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Why won't you? Your visa doesn't start until you enter Canada on it, giving you the full year there - you can leave it until December to go if you want, and it would still give you a year.

Further, another tip for you is to enter on a visitor visa (just tell the immigration officer you don't want to activate your Bunac just yet), then when you've actually found a job you can 'flagpole' to activate your Bunac. That way, you don't waste a couple of of months of your Bunac on job hunting.

And it's unlikely you'll get straight from Bunac to PR, so think of going from Bunac to a TWP, then upgrading to PR at a later date.

christmasoompa are you serious?? This is the first time anyones said this as that was my main worry. Oh my gosh your absolutely the best!

So aslong as i apply for the visa and get it approved before im 31 i can be accepted and then decide to go later in the year when

1) ive had more time to tie up lose ends
2) ive saved up more money
3) like you said go there on a holiday (which i was planning to do for my cousins wedding) and use some of that time to apply for a job?

Is there a time limit in which I have to 'activate' my BUNAC or should i ask them that since I have paid them for advice.

Okay reason why i said PR was because im sure someone told me that if i got an IT job in skill level A or B on the NOC matrix then I could get PR through the FSW program. Am i right in thinkin that if i did do this then it would still be a 1 or 2 year working visa?

Sorry if im going around in circles
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa are you serious?? This is the first time anyones said this as that was my main worry. Oh my gosh your absolutely the best!
Why thanks.

So aslong as i apply for the visa and get it approved before im 31 i can be accepted and then decide to go later in the year when

1) ive had more time to tie up lose ends
2) ive saved up more money
3) like you said go there on a holiday (which i was planning to do for my cousins wedding) and use some of that time to apply for a job?
Yep. And definitely use the holiday to job hunt - have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to job hunt in Canada as the hiring culture is quite different from the UK.

Is there a time limit in which I have to 'activate' my BUNAC or should i ask them that since I have paid them for advice.
There is a time limit, but I'm not sure what it will be as the program opened later than usual this year. In the past, applicants for a year's program had to enter before the following February (i.e. somebody who applied in March 2009 had until February 2010 to activate their visa).

Okay reason why i said PR was because im sure someone told me that if i got an IT job in skill level A or B on the NOC matrix then I could get PR through the FSW program.
You can. But this will take around a year, so you're unlikely to have PR before your Bunac expires - hence why you'll probably need to go the LMO/TWP route unless you are happy to return to the UK whilst you await PR.

Am i right in thinkin that if i did do this then it would still be a 1 or 2 year working visa?
No, you'd be a Permanent Resident of Canada. Meaning you have all the rights of a citizen except you can't vote or run for public office! After 3 years in Canada as a PR, you can apply for citizenship and would then be dual nationality.

Sorry if im going around in circles
Yep, you are! But we'll get there eventually. If you're still not sure what some things mean (i.e. Permanent Residency, which is not just a 1 or 2 year TWP!) then have another read of the Wiki and/or CIC website.

Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Why thanks.

Yep. And definitely use the holiday to job hunt - have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to job hunt in Canada as the hiring culture is quite different from the UK.

There is a time limit, but I'm not sure what it will be as the program opened later than usual this year. In the past, applicants for a year's program had to enter before the following February (i.e. somebody who applied in March 2009 had until February 2010 to activate their visa).

You can. But this will take around a year, so you're unlikely to have PR before your Bunac expires - hence why you'll probably need to go the LMO/TWP route unless you are happy to return to the UK whilst you await PR.

No, you'd be a Permanent Resident of Canada. Meaning you have all the rights of a citizen except you can't vote or run for public office! After 3 years in Canada as a PR, you can apply for citizenship and would then be dual nationality.

Yep, you are! But we'll get there eventually. If you're still not sure what some things mean (i.e. Permanent Residency, which is not just a 1 or 2 year TWP!) then have another read of the Wiki and/or CIC website.

Thanks I will have another read i do browse over some of them while on the train and by the time i get home my head is too worn out from work.

However can not thank you enough for that bit of advice it changes my plans in everyway.
So now I can concentrate on my application rather than the "IFs"

Do not wish to return to the UK once im there unless its to visit family
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi christmasoompa

Today at work while trying to remember what my own railway abbrevaitions now stand for I had an idea.

Following on your useful information you posted above.

IF i was accepted on the WHV and the fact that i can enter canada and choose not to activate it. Does this mean that i can actually go there on a 6 month holiday visa. Without a return flight. Then use those 6 months to find a job, explaining to a prospective employer that I have been accepted (show them proof if required) and that I can start my visa once I have a confirmed start date.

Then when i find a job simply go back to the canadian airport and see immigration about activating my work visa?

I am not sure whether this scenario is possible or whether i would have to leave canada for the UK and then return?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi christmasoompa

Today at work while trying to remember what my own railway abbrevaitions now stand for I had an idea.

Following on your useful information you posted above.

IF i was accepted on the WHV and the fact that i can enter canada and choose not to activate it. Does this mean that i can actually go there on a 6 month holiday visa. Without a return flight. Then use those 6 months to find a job, explaining to a prospective employer that I have been accepted (show them proof if required) and that I can start my visa once I have a confirmed start date.

Then when i find a job simply go back to the canadian airport and see immigration about activating my work visa?

I am not sure whether this scenario is possible or whether i would have to leave canada for the UK and then return?
1. With a one way ticket you may have trouble boarding the flight. Although the IEC letter may satisfy the airline.
2. If you are admitted as a visitor, and then want to activate your WHV, you will have to go to a border point, not an airport to activate it.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. With a one way ticket you may have trouble boarding the flight. Although the IEC letter may satisfy the airline.
2. If you are admitted as a visitor, and then want to activate your WHV, you will have to go to a border point, not an airport to activate it.
so is that a Yes i can go there on a holiday visa without booking a return ticket? then IF i find a job just flagpole across border to activate WHV?

just before flagpoling book a return ticket so to show them i will be intending to leave after WHV expires?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

so is that a Yes i can go there on a holiday visa without booking a return ticket?
Which bit of PMM saying 'with a one way ticket you may have trouble boarding the flight' did you not understand?!

A one way flight may cause you problems, but returns are generally cheaper anyway for some odd reason. Plus if you get a flexible return then at least you can use the return leg if you need to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.