British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PR and JOB advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pr-job-advice-702077/)

BobbyN Jan 23rd 2011 8:50 pm

PR and JOB advice

Hi all

Okay so ive paid the fee of £250ish to BUNAC yesterday so not heard anything or had an email (from what i read is what i should expect)

However I'll assume at this stage that everythings okay and I have a Visa reserved for me.

My question is what should I do in the meantime?

I have already requested my mom to transfer some funds into one of my bank accounts so when it comes to the proof of funds question I wont have to show them my normal account which has been in the Overdraft due to buying a house and xmas, for the last 4 months.

Is there anything else I should initiate now?

My 2nd question is more of a scenario based one. Im hoping to get to Toronto and find a job in I.T. I currently work as a systems support/analyst for Network Rail and have a degree in Computer science so do you think getting a Job would be straight forward for me?

if i was to get a job in my field after a year I would be 31 going 32 so what would be my choices at that stage? As re-applying for BUNAC would not be an option i guess due to age?

Any further help is much appreciated

Waggle Jan 24th 2011 12:29 am

Re: PR and JOB advice

Originally Posted by BobbyN (Post 9124430)
Hi all

Okay so ive paid the fee of £250ish to BUNAC yesterday so not heard anything or had an email (from what i read is what i should expect)

However I'll assume at this stage that everythings okay and I have a Visa reserved for me.

My question is what should I do in the meantime?

I have already requested my mom to transfer some funds into one of my bank accounts so when it comes to the proof of funds question I wont have to show them my normal account which has been in the Overdraft due to buying a house and xmas, for the last 4 months.

Is there anything else I should initiate now?

My 2nd question is more of a scenario based one. Im hoping to get to Toronto and find a job in I.T. I currently work as a systems support/analyst for Network Rail and have a degree in Computer science so do you think getting a Job would be straight forward for me?

if i was to get a job in my field after a year I would be 31 going 32 so what would be my choices at that stage? As re-applying for BUNAC would not be an option i guess due to age?

Any further help is much appreciated

If you are talking about proof of funds for Federal Skilled Worker, you cannot just borrow money from your parents. You must show proof that the money belongs to you. If you have a large amount transferred into your account you will have to show where it came from. Usually most visa offices will ask for 3 to 6 months bank statements to accompany any bank balance documentation so that they can see you haven't just borrowed the funds from somewhere.

Also the amount should be nett of all debts, so if you have an overdraft this amount should come off the total assets/money you are claiming/prooving.

By arranging for your mum to put funds into your account and failing to nett any debts off this total you will be defrauding CIC which is generally considered quite a bad idea. I am sorry if I have misunderstood you but this is how it reads to me at the moment?

As for your second question, Toronto is generally considered one of the easier places to get a job in most fields since they tend to have the largest job market.

Can you please tell us under which category you have applied? Since IT are not in the in-demand 29 list for Category 1 and it seems since you don't have a job or job offer you did not apply under Category 2?

Have you applied with family sponsorship or something?

Wayne.

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 12:55 am

Hi you did no misinterpret me but yes my family will provide me with money to support myself for the first few months so the money will not necesarily leave my account straight away. So would i Just need a letter or bank statement/proof of funds from one of my parents if the CIC did ask?

I am going through the BUNAC scheme, as it was the only way i could see about getting a work visa without having a formal job offer waiting for me. Atleast this way I can go over there and find work within the first few weeks hopefully.

Waggle Jan 24th 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by BobbyN (Post 9124856)
Hi you did no misinterpret me but yes my family will provide me with money to support myself for the first few months so the money will not necesarily leave my account straight away. So would i Just need a letter or bank statement/proof of funds from one of my parents if the CIC did ask?

I am going through the BUNAC scheme, as it was the only way i could see about getting a work visa without having a formal job offer waiting for me. Atleast this way I can go over there and find work within the first few weeks hopefully.

Ok sorry the "BUNAC" skipped right over my head :)

So this is a working holiday student programme? Ok. Are you intending to try to gain residency or is this going to be just a temporary over-the-summer thing?

If you are going to find work with a view for applying for residency then this work will have to be in Skill Type 0 (managerial) or Skill Level A or B on the HRDSC noc list, so bare that in mind whilst looking for work.

But regarding the proof of funds the rules are probably different to Federal Skilled Worker so I am not sure, sorry!

Wayne.

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Waggle (Post 9124953)
Ok sorry the "BUNAC" skipped right over my head :)

So this is a working holiday student programme? Ok. Are you intending to try to gain residency or is this going to be just a temporary over-the-summer thing?

If you are going to find work with a view for applying for residency then this work will have to be in Skill Type 0 (managerial) or Skill Level A or B on the HRDSC noc list, so bare that in mind whilst looking for work.

But regarding the proof of funds the rules are probably different to Federal Skilled Worker so I am not sure, sorry!

Wayne.

Its just a working holiday for a year nothing to do with study however i would like to remain in canada.

it all depends on what job i get there but i will check the skilled workers criteria

if i was to get a starter job of helpdesk support for example, this does not fall under any skilled wrker category. would i be able to remain longer if my employer vouched for me or continued my employment?

christmasoompa Jan 24th 2011 4:43 am

Are you sure it wouldn't qualify as a Skilled job? Remember that it's any job that is on Skill Level A, O or B, not just the list of 29 eligible occupations - you'd be applying as FSW category 2 (arranged employment) so wouldn't need a job on that list.

As long as you can get a permanent job offer, it's Skill Level A, O or B, you have enough points, pass the medical etc, then you could apply for PR as a FSW.

:)

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 5:32 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9125281)
Are you sure it wouldn't qualify as a Skilled job? Remember that it's any job that is on Skill Level A, O or B, not just the list of 29 eligible occupations - you'd be applying as FSW category 2 (arranged employment) so wouldn't need a job on that list.

As long as you can get a permanent job offer, it's Skill Level A, O or B, you have enough points, pass the medical etc, then you could apply for PR as a FSW.

THanks that was great help and has given me a bit more hope.

So way i see it is that in my BUNAC year i should hope to find a job in the NOC list so i can apply as a FSW. (NOC217) - database administrator and system analyst are job titles I have had and have at moment.

Applying as a FSW?

1) should this be done towards end of my BUNACS , TWP? or should i look to do this as soon as I am in employment

2) Applying as FSW - would this be another years work visa or actual PR (after a year?)

I think thats it for now, thanks alot everyone so far great help.

christmasoompa Jan 24th 2011 5:38 am

OK, I think you've gotten confused along the way. I'd suggest you have a good read of the Wiki and the CIC website to get an understanding of the basics.

FSW = Skilled Worker program = Permanent Residency. So you'd be a PR of Canada, with almost all the rights of a citizen (and could apply for citizenship after 3 years of being a PR in Canada).

2171 is definitely a 'skilled' job, I've just checked it on the NOC Matrix (it's level A). To qualify under FSW (category 2) you need a permanent job offer and a LMO, so you need to start impressing the hell out of your employer asap and ask them to sort this for you. Hopefully if they like you they'll be happy to do so.

Do it as soon as you can, it will take 8-12 months to get PR so you want to get the process started as soon as poss.

Obviously there are various other requirements such as passing a medical, proving your work experience, etc, so bear this in mind. I'd also suggest you download the application forms and guide from the CIC website so that you know what you need to take to Canada with you (things like your birth certificate etc) that you'll need to apply.

And do make sure you do the points test on the CIC website to check you have enough points to qualify as a FSW - you'll get an extra 15 points for having the job offer, but even so it's best to double check. If not, you could look at the Provincial Nominee Program of wherever you are heading as another route to PR.

Good luck.

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 5:53 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9125372)
OK, I think you've gotten confused along the way. I'd suggest you have a good read of the Wiki and the CIC website to get an understanding of the basics.

FSW = Skilled Worker program = Permanent Residency. So you'd be a PR of Canada, with almost all the rights of a citizen (and could apply for citizenship after 3 years of being a PR in Canada).

2171 is definitely a 'skilled' job, I've just checked it on the NOC Matrix (it's level A). To qualify under FSW (category 2) you need a permanent job offer and a LMO, so you need to start impressing the hell out of your employer asap and ask them to sort this for you. Hopefully if they like you they'll be happy to do so.

Do it as soon as you can, it will take 8-12 months to get PR so you want to get the process started as soon as poss.

Obviously there are various other requirements such as passing a medical, proving your work experience, etc, so bear this in mind. I'd also suggest you download the application forms and guide from the CIC website so that you know what you need to take to Canada with you (things like your birth certificate etc) that you'll need to apply.

And do make sure you do the points test on the CIC website to check you have enough points to qualify as a FSW - you'll get an extra 15 points for having the job offer, but even so it's best to double check. If not, you could look at the Provincial Nominee Program of wherever you are heading as another route to PR.

Good luck.

Thanks again I will look and read up on PNP aswell. Am i right in that the fees are $1000-2000 for a PNP application and does the employer have to pay a fee also?

I feel that getting an employer to submit an LMO for myself or an occupation like mine would be difficult as i dont think there is a such a shortage of IT workers in Toronto. Fingers crossed anyways.

I did the points system I got 72 and i reckon if i brush up on what french i know I could scavange some more.

I will read up what is required on the CIC site as was planning to take all my papers and documents with me.

Cheers

christmasoompa Jan 24th 2011 5:58 am

I wouldn't bother with French if you've got 72 points as you don't need the extra 2 anyway - you just need 67 or more, you don't get preferential treatment the more points you need.

Plus it saves you having to take the TEF, so that's one less thing to pay for and worry about!

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 6:25 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9125281)

Would a medical always be required? or is this just needed for certain jobs? Only reason i ask is as i suffer from tinnitus and although i pretty much live with it i dont want canadian goverment to think i will be a burden in the future (stuff i have read from other threads)

Also im looking at the CIC website - skill level A is profession occupation but where do you get the info on what exact job titles on the NOC list fall under this level?

christmasoompa Jan 24th 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by BobbyN (Post 9125468)
Would a medical always be required? or is this just needed for certain jobs? Only reason i ask is as i suffer from tinnitus and although i pretty much live with it i dont want canadian goverment to think i will be a burden in the future (stuff i have read from other threads)

Yes, it's always required for a PR application. Can't see tinnitus being a cause for refusal though, but I don't know a huge amount about it - would it really cost the Canadian government more than $5k a year in treatment?

Also im looking at the CIC website - skill level A is profession occupation but where do you get the info on what exact job titles on the NOC list fall under this level?

The NOC Matrix - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...06/Matrix.aspx

PMM Jan 24th 2011 6:36 am

Hi

1. Medicals are only required, if you are from a designated country and are going to stay more than 6 months. UK is not designated. If you intend to work in the following occupations, a medical is required

Jobs for which you need a medical examination

Depending on your intended occupation while in Canada, certain temporary foreign workers are required to undergo a medical examination. The following list provides examples of such occupations. This list is not all-inclusive.

1. Occupations that bring you into close contact (more than three hours a day or risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, namely:
* workers in the health sciences field
* clinical laboratory workers
* patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
* medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
* medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
* teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
* domestics
* workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
* day nursery employees

2. To determine your NOC you go to http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...6/Welcome.aspx on the left side click on "matrix" Look for the NOC on the Matrix and follow to the left side which shows the skill level.

Or

a. If the first digit is 0 then it is Managerial level O
b. If the 2nd digit is 1 level A
c. If the 2nd digit is 2 level B
d. If the 2nd digit is 4 level C
e. If the 2nd digit is 6 level D

BobbyN Jan 24th 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 9125495)
Hi

1. Medicals are only required, if you are from a designated country and are going to stay more than 6 months. UK is not designated. If you intend to work in the following occupations, a medical is required

Jobs for which you need a medical examination

Depending on your intended occupation while in Canada, certain temporary foreign workers are required to undergo a medical examination. The following list provides examples of such occupations. This list is not all-inclusive.

1. Occupations that bring you into close contact (more than three hours a day or risk of exchange of body fluids) with people, namely:
* workers in the health sciences field
* clinical laboratory workers
* patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
* medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
* medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
* teachers of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
* domestics
* workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
* day nursery employees

2. To determine your NOC you go to http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...6/Welcome.aspx on the left side click on "matrix" Look for the NOC on the Matrix and follow to the left side which shows the skill level.

Or

a. If the first digit is 0 then it is Managerial level O
b. If the 2nd digit is 1 level A
c. If the 2nd digit is 2 level B
d. If the 2nd digit is 4 level C
e. If the 2nd digit is 6 level D

Thanks for that, looks like i wont need a medical in that case :D

Also good to know that my I.T experience helps me fall under skill level A and B gives me more choice in what jobs i can go for as I am not going to complain if i have to go for a lesser position than i am in at the moment in the UK

christmasoompa Jan 24th 2011 6:41 am

Originally Posted by BobbyN (Post 9125509)
Thanks for that, looks like i wont need a medical in that case :D

Just to clarify - PMM is talking about medicals for work permits, not PR. You would definitely have to have a medical for a PR application.