PR Cards & Travel

Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

maxibhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Cards & Travel

I understand this has been discussed to death but I was wondering if anyone could comment on my circumstances.

I landed on 1st Sep in Toronto and I am now back in the UK to complete some work assignments. I will be travelling back and forth from the UK to Canada over the next few months each time buying a return ticket in the UK which leaves from the UK and returning to the UK. I obviously still have my UK passport.
My only concern is the period until I receive my PR card (which has been applied for) and boarding any flights. The first flight is with Air Transat and the second is with BA.
From reading the forums it seems it is only Air Tranast I may have a problem with. As I have a return ticket to the Uk and a Uk passport are they likely to cause me any problems.
Without asking me directly which they have never done before are they just likely to hand me my boarding pass or do they have access on their systems which tells them I am a PR.

Most thankful for any advice.

In the event I should get a PRTD from London - can I do this in person and what documents will I need to take with me.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Cards & Travel

If you have a return ticket, you are unlikely to have any issues, even with a charter airline like Transat. However, it would be inadvisable to advertise your status to the airline. You are not obliged to tell them. And as always, your mileage may vary.

In nearly 10 years since PR Cards supposedly became "mandatory" there have been few reported cases (or none ... ) of someone with a visa waiver passport actually refused boarding. However that only means the risk of a problem is close to 0%, not 0% itself.

The PR Travel Documents are single entry, not multiple.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 15th 2013 at 10:30 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

maxibhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JAJ

Do you know I they can access my PR status from their systems as if not I can't see any reason why they would ask if I was a PR as they have never done so before.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maxibhoy
Do you know I they can access my PR status from their systems as if not I can't see any reason why they would ask if I was a PR as they have never done so before.
Not sure why you would expect me to know that. However, I am not aware of airlines being given access to CIC's database, or any basis that would entitle them to such access.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

They could see your stamp in your passport with the PR number though which would tell them that you are a landed immigrant. Not that I think they would search for it but you could be unlucky and they just open that page.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
They could see your stamp in your passport with the PR number though which would tell them that you are a landed immigrant. Not that I think they would search for it but you could be unlucky and they just open that page.
Except that since December 1, 2011, there should be no stamp in a visa exempt passport:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...011/ob348a.asp

And the permanent residence document COPR should not be stapled to the passport after landing is done - it needs to be kept in a safe place.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

That's not true. There is no counterfoil anymore aka no sticker in the passport but still a stamp, like the US stamps the passport when you go over the border. We landed September 2012 and have a stamp in with the I......number and we got the COPR stapled in which we were told to remove at home and keep in a safe place. All of us have passports from visa exempt countries.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
That's not true. There is no counterfoil anymore aka no sticker in the passport but still a stamp, like the US stamps the passport when you go over the border. We landed September 2012 and have a stamp in with the I......number and we got the COPR stapled in which we were told to remove at home and keep in a safe place. All of us have passports from visa exempt countries.
The context for "stamp" was intended to mean a visa sticker. You are of course correct that there is still a passport stamp and I-number. However, this is much less obvious.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
The context for "stamp" was intended to mean a visa sticker. You are of course correct that there is still a passport stamp and I-number. However, this is much less obvious.
Sorry was thinking of our stamps. Yes you're right they are not as obvious as the sticker used to be especially if you travel a lot and have a few stamps in. If it's the only one then they might see it, doubt it though. Just thought I'd mention it that if they wanted to check then they wouldn't need access to CIC but just a look through the passport, hypothetically. We never got asked btw.