Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

Originally Posted by JAJ

Interesting, though, that Visa, Amex and MasterCard and/or their member banks do not normally take 180 days to process a renewal.
and that really is the heart of the problem isn't it? That and the ridiculous time scales for processing citizenship applications.

They expire because it takes so long to get the new one.

we applied for citizenship as soon as we were able (we had a few months in total out of country due to business trips etc over the course of the years, not an unreasonable situation) even with that it was touch and go as to whether our PR cards would expire before we got citizenship

if it took 2 weeks to get a new card then I think you'd see less of these types of questions for sure.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which just means that CIC have chosen to omit information.

CIC omit a lot of information on their website.

Except that everyone knows that Air Canada say a visa-waiver passport, on its own, is acceptable. As for other airlines, how many have actually refused to accept a passport as a travel document. Really.

And this is the crux of the matter CIC state one thing, AC say another and the IRPA Acts & Regs imply something else. Airlines can basically refuse boarding to anyone if they choose or find a reason. One way tickets seem to be a determining factor and have an element of risk and the airlines dont like people being refused as in most cases they will be on the hook for taking them back. Somebody showing a PR card is less likely to be refused entry into Canada (cannot be refused entry legally) than someone with a non TRV passport on a one way ticket. I agree its a stoopid understood rule but CIC insist on stating the PR card must be shown when travelling by a commercial carrier. I know what Reg 259 in particular (f) says but expecting an airline employee to understand that fully is asking a lot. The Act also says that a person outside Canada without a PR card is deemed not to be a PR as per this
Status document
31. (1) A permanent resident and a protected person shall be provided with a document indicating their status.

Marginal note:Effect
(2) For the purposes of this Act, unless an officer determines otherwise

(a) a person in possession of a status document referred to in subsection (1) is presumed to have the status indicated; and

(b) a person who is outside Canada and who does not present a status document indicating permanent resident status is presumed not to have permanent resident status.

So the airline (some airlines) contrary to what Reg 259 says no PR card then not a PR so we MIGHT not board you even though they have a non TRV passport. CIC needs to get its Act together. As a CBSA I couldnt give a toss one way or the other as if the PR without a PR card manages to get on the plane then they are no longer a risk as a simple FOSS/GCMS check will reveal PR status so therefore have the right to enter Canada.

Interesting, though, that Visa, Amex and MasterCard and/or their member banks do not normally take 180 days to process a renewal.
I agree its disgusting that CIC are taking this amount of time to issue a new PR card but Im sure it has nothing to do with them clamping down and checking and having over a 1000 employees laid off and possibly more to come. Just look at other processing times such as PNP, Citizenship etc etc they have all increased. One wonders why.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I agree its disgusting that CIC are taking this amount of time to issue a new PR card but Im sure it has nothing to do with them clamping down and checking and having over a 1000 employees laid off and possibly more to come. Just look at other processing times such as PNP, Citizenship etc etc they have all increased. One wonders why.

It may be a deliberate policy.
Or simple underfunding. Which could be resolved by raising the fee to cover costs. I expect that many people would pay a multiple of the C$50 fee to receive a card back in 2 weeks. The equivalent process in Australia normally takes that time (or less), but costs over A$300.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may be a deliberate policy.
Or simple underfunding. Which could be resolved by raising the fee to cover costs. I expect that many people would pay a multiple of the C$50 fee to receive a card back in 2 weeks. The equivalent process in Australia normally takes that time (or less), but costs over A$300.
Several years ago CIC actually reduced their fees for a number of applications and processes because immigrants were complaining of the costs. IIRC correctly the principal applicant for PR fee used to be $900 its now $475.
Over the last 10 years a work permit fee has increased by $5 and a study permit by $25.
The Feds basically told CIC their fees were too high and that they should reflect this as a cost recovery fee. Look at the processing times increase and the fact that they cancelled 288,000 FSW applications.
I guess we will be returning to either a rubber stamp quick approval for some and extensive wait times for others.
Quickest and easiest way is to marry a Canadian
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I called CIC today, My application was submitted June 23rd for PR card replacement. I emailed them 7 days ago to request urgent replacement due to a business trip leaving December 1st. Feed back today, "the card had been sent for processing". Not sure whether that was the application or the actual card was getting made.

I have 5 business days left before I travel, will be a close one.

I also checked in on my Citizenship application test completed Sept 9th feed back still processing.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

When the residence requirement for Canadian citizenship goes from three to four years, every PR will need at least one PR card renewal.

I wonder what that would do to CIC's case load?

(Except if you choose to believe CIC's story about the Citizenship reforms completely eliminating the backlog. Then I have a bridge to sell you.)