Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

Old Nov 10th 2014, 3:55 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of
Default PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

Hey Expat folks - not posted for a long time!

Our PR card renewals are stuck in the crazy application black-hole currently. When we mailed them off, processing times were around 3 months, they've slowly got longer all year and are now close to 6 months.

We've got flights booked to head back home for Christmas - so I'm trying to work out the best plan currently.

My mail tracking info shows receipt of the application on June 9th, currently they are processing applications received before June 3rd (Nov 1 update). This means I can't currently see our application on the application status system.

To do urgent processing now we basically have to send in a whole new application with flight info included.

However, if our application is "in process" I can apply for urgent processing with an e-mail.

Has anyone done either before? Do I just stick it out for a week or 2 more and hope our application starts processing soon to make the urgent thing easier. How quick does the urgent processed card get turned around? Am I screwed either way...
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

Hi

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Hey Expat folks - not posted for a long time!

Our PR card renewals are stuck in the crazy application black-hole currently. When we mailed them off, processing times were around 3 months, they've slowly got longer all year and are now close to 6 months.

We've got flights booked to head back home for Christmas - so I'm trying to work out the best plan currently.

My mail tracking info shows receipt of the application on June 9th, currently they are processing applications received before June 3rd (Nov 1 update). This means I can't currently see our application on the application status system.

To do urgent processing now we basically have to send in a whole new application with flight info included.

However, if our application is "in process" I can apply for urgent processing with an e-mail.

Has anyone done either before? Do I just stick it out for a week or 2 more and hope our application starts processing soon to make the urgent thing easier. How quick does the urgent processed card get turned around? Am I screwed either way...

Or you can follow the instructions for urgent processing of applications already submitted here: Urgent processing of a permanent resident card
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:35 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Or you can follow the instructions for urgent processing of applications already submitted here: Urgent processing of a permanent resident card
Yes - was referring to that page in my question.

As our application is not yet "in process" I have to resubmit the whole thing including new photos, re-photocopying passports and so on. This then has to be mailed in.

Alternatively I wait until I show as "in process" which should be in a week or 2 (hopefully but n guarantee), and then I can e-mail my flight details in and get a response on processing in 2 days.

3rd option technically is do nothing and hope that as our process date is so close we get the cards in time anyway!

Basically I've been waiting for the last month to be "in process" as early in Oct they were processing applications received around May 20th and ours was received only 3 weeks past that so had though by now we'd be further on.

So looking for anyone's experience with the urgent processing process. Also trying to decide if I just have to suck it up and do the whole application a new asap.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I am in the same boat, my application was mailed June 23rd a little later than yours. I see they are now processing June 5th and that was last updated November 1st. So realistically they could already be processing yours. Give them a call and ask them how long they expect before they get to your date.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

CIC needs to find a way to speed up processing, 6 months is crazy long. I thought the 4 months last year was bad.

Has to be a better, more efficient way to process renewals.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

or do nothing and travel without a PR card, with just your UK passport. Might involve a trip through the immigration office upon your return to Canada but it should be ok. Obviously officially you have to have your PR card with you but many have done it in the past without any problems.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Our only experience with this was a few years ago. Due to some personal things, we had a hastily planned trip back to the UK, but our PR cards were due to expire while we were there. We filled everything out, included printouts of our flight tickets and sent it off, we had a phone call about 2 days after receipt to confirm, and then they were in our hands about 3 days after that, very quick.

I'd give them a call. If yours is already in process but they haven't updated the website, you might be able to get it hurried along if need be,
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:59 pm
Procrastinating

It's in my grubby paws!

I called yesterday - as the last website update now said they were processing Jun 9th received applications. I still couldn't find anything out online on the application status check thing. I spent only about 15 mins on the phone ignoring the don't call unless your app was received before Jun 5th messages (yes a different date).

When I got through to someone, they were able to tell me the card had actually been shipped on the 11th! Yey, it showed up today.

155 day processing from Jun 9th to Nov 11th.

Panic over - though it was never really started!
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

hey that's grest news.
Iapplied for urgent processing via the email function.
I received an email yesterday to say they have began processing my pr card and hope to get it too me before I travel on December 1st.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanAngel
Obviously officially you have to have your PR card with you but many have done it in the past without any problems.
Nowhere does it say that you, the traveller, must have a PR card to enter Canada as a PR.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

it's the airlines mainly some of them may refuse boarding, if you don't have proof of pr validity. which is nonsense. I am a frequent flier for work. Not nice getting grilled by CBSA for 1 hour after an 18 hour flight for forgetting your pr card.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Nowhere does it say that you, the traveller, must have a PR card to enter Canada as a PR.
The CIC website does say this though

The permanent resident card (PR card) is the official proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. You use this wallet-sized plastic card to show you can enter and stay in Canada when you return from another country.

You must show this card when you re-enter Canada on a commercial vehicle, such as an airplane, boat, train or bus. If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your car, there are other documents you can use.

If you plan to leave Canada, check your card’s expiry date to make sure that it will still be valid when you return. Most cards are valid for five years.

If you do not plan to leave Canada, you do not need the card.

You may also need a passport to re-enter Canada. Please see the Canadian Border Services Agency website for the documents you will need at the border.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card/index.asp
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
it's the airlines mainly some of them may refuse boarding, if you don't have proof of pr validity. which is nonsense. I am a frequent flier for work. Not nice getting grilled by CBSA for 1 hour after an 18 hour flight for forgetting your pr card.
Then dont forget your PR card then
You must show this card when you re-enter Canada on a commercial vehicle, such as an airplane, boat, train or bus. If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your car, there are other documents you can use.

Get a permanent resident card

Its not nonsense if the airline refuses to board you and you miss the flight and end up arguing with airline staff at an airport outside of Canada.
Its the size of a credit card FFS the same size as a VISA, AMEX or Mastercard. I bet you dont forget them when you travel do you?
Old Nov 19th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well I am trying to get citizenship 2 years into the process and pr renewal 5 months into the process.
Citizenship test passed 3 months ago so one will come soon enough.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The CIC website does say this though

Which just means that CIC have chosen to omit information.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its not nonsense if the airline refuses to board you and you miss the flight and end up arguing with airline staff at an airport outside of Canada.
Except that everyone knows that Air Canada say a visa-waiver passport, on its own, is acceptable. As for other airlines, how many have actually refused to accept a passport as a travel document. Really.

Its the size of a credit card FFS the same size as a VISA, AMEX or Mastercard. I bet you dont forget them when you travel do you?

Interesting, though, that Visa, Amex and MasterCard and/or their member banks do not normally take 180 days to process a renewal.

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 19th 2014 at 10:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.