Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Expired and need to get back to Canada in a week

PR Card Expired and need to get back to Canada in a week

Old Apr 7th 2023, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Card Expired and need to get back to Canada in a week

Hi All,
My PR card has expired and I applied for PR renewal in January 2023. However, I had to travel to UK due to family emergency but I need to return to Canada next week to resume a job on the 17th of April. I have applied for PRTD online and I am waiting for a response.
Can I fly back to Canada next week with an expired PR card since I might not be able to get PRTD on time. Or do I apply for ETA as a British citizen. Any information will be great. I will be flying with WestJet from London if that matters.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Expired and need to get back to Canada in a week

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Hi All,
My PR card has expired and I applied for PR renewal in January 2023. However, I had to travel to UK due to family emergency but I need to return to Canada next week to resume a job on the 17th of April. I have applied for PRTD online and I am waiting for a response.
Can I fly back to Canada next week with an expired PR card since I might not be able to get PRTD on time. Or do I apply for ETA as a British citizen. Any information will be great. I will be flying with WestJet from London if that matters.
Afraid you need the PRTD, sorry. Hopefully it won't be too long.

The only other option is to fly in to the US and enter via land.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 7th 2023 at 3:30 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute

Is an ETA possible at all. I read in another somewhere that you can use ETA to enter. Also a friend told me Air Canada allows someone with PR to board the plane if you are from Europe since no visa is allowed.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Is an ETA possible at all. I read in another somewhere that you can use ETA to enter. Also a friend told me Air Canada allows someone with PR to board the plane if you are from Europe since no visa is allowed.
You aren't eligible for an ETA as a PR. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1252&top=16

Never heard of Air Canada allowing somebody with an expired PR card to board the plane, I'd think it very unlikely as airlines are fined if they allow somebody to board without the correct documents, plus they're liable for flying you back to the country of origin.

There really is no way around it other than to wait for the PRTD or to cross the border by land (assuming you have or can get ESTA to board the plane to the US of course).

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You aren't eligible for an ETA as a PR. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1252&top=16

Never heard of Air Canada allowing somebody with Good luck.
Thank you very much.