Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Permit Options: CETA / CUKTCA – GSS / GTS

Temporary Work Permit Options: CETA / CUKTCA – GSS / GTS

Old Apr 2nd 2023, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

cardozolto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Permit Options: CETA / CUKTCA – GSS / GTS

Hi!

Long time lurker here, I've used the forums many times over the years, but this is the first time I've asked a question, as I haven't been able to find the answer in my searches.

I am currently in BC as a visitor. I have been out of work for a few years traveling. Before than I was in civil engineer with 10 years experience and I am now looking for work in civil engineering. My CRS score is 418. In discussions with one company which seems keen. No job offer yet, but we've been discussing options for permits.

We've come up with two options:

- Start work and enter Canada as a Independent Professional through CUKTCA (same as CETA post brexit). While I am working start the process for a TWP through LMIA process and switch to that once it is done.

- Apply for a TWP through the Global Skills Strategy / Global Talent Scheme - Category B as a Civil Engineer (NOC21300). LMIA average processing time is 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks for the TWP application.

Any general comments on these options? I would prefer the GSS TWP as my spouse should then be eligible for the SOWP, but whatever works best I am fine with. Any other options that you can think of that we should be looking at? Also I would be hoping to continue towards PR after I have a high enough score, so just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that makes that more difficult.

GSS / GTS option:
  • I've been going down various forums and reddit rabbit holes to get an idea as the actual timeline. It seems like months rather than weeks? Does anyone have any idea?
  • The LMIA GTS processing might be significantly quicker than the TWP application (although nothing like 2 weeks I don't believe) so I was wondering if it is possible to apply for the work permit at the POE with a GTS LMIA? I haven't heard of anyone doing this, possibly because most of the applicants are from non eTA countries, although I note many people on this forum seem to have applied at the POE after a standard LMIA.
  • I believe that you are only invited to provide biometrics after you have applied for the TWP online? So how would it work if I was to try it at the POE? “Most applicants aren’t eligible to give their biometrics at a POE. To give your biometrics at a POE, you must meet 2 requirements: Start and finish your application at the same POE/ Be eligible to apply for a work permit at a POE” - I don't know what start and finish your application at the same POE means.

The CUKTCA option. I guess that not many people have used this option but I'll ask anyway, as much to organise my own thoughts:
  • I am having trouble finding information about the application procedure, “the Canadian company needs to submit an offer of employment through the IRCC Employer Portal”. And then what? Would I apply for a TWP at the POE? And then the same question about biometrics, they would be done at POE?
  • I would be an “Independent Professional” Do I need to set up a company back in the UK?
  • Am I eligible? The 6 years and other requirements should be fine. However on their NOC equivalents page there are two categories which would suit me. The one that is probably slightly more accurate (Construction and related engineering services CPC 511, 51...) states “Contractual service suppliers – managers are excluded from CETA commitments Independent professionals in these occupations may not enter Canada under CETA
    • The other category is not quite as accurate, but I think job application and resume could be tweaked to make it work. I may be overthinking it, how closely would the immigration officer go into the UN Central Product Classification? Which I certainly had never heard of.

Well I tried to keep that short > Thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Permit Options: CETA / CUKTCA – GSS / GTS

Note that the LMIA route involves the company demonstrating that there is no Canadian citizen or resident who is eligible, and that requires the position to be widely advertised, and proof shown that you are the only possible candidate..

It would take more than 1 or 2 weeks, sometimes more like months.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 12:26 am
Just Joined

cardozolto is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that the LMIA is supposed to take a long time. But I had read that through the Global Talent Scheme / Global Skills Strategy the processing is supposed to be quicker.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think your potential employer needs to at least consult a lawyer, even if they don't hire one to actually help with the application.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 5:22 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

As engineering is a regulated profession have you checked with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia to see if you qualify to call yourself an Engineer. Unless you have a P. Eng designation, you can't describe yourself as one in Canada