Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR application questions: step daughter, following documentation, originals?

PR application questions: step daughter, following documentation, originals?

Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default PR application questions: step daughter, following documentation, originals?

I am a Canadian citizen thinking of moving back to Canada with my British wife and her minor daughter from a prior relationship (that sounds too clinical: the daughter is a lovely person and lives with us).

A couple of questions about their application for PR:

(1) Which supporting documents, if any, do we need to submit as originals? The guidance is unclear. Passports are specified as photocopies (of only the info pages). What about Marriage certificate? Birth certficates? (I would generally prefer to submit photocopies of all documents with a note saying the originals are available on request.)

(2) Can we submit the applications for sponsorship and PR now to CPC-M without including Police report and Medical Reports. When those are available and we have the PR case number, could we then send those directly to the London visa office?

(3) My wife has sole parental responsibility for her daughter under UK law, but there is no British government document we can get that “proves” this. What documentation do we need to submit with the application to show she is free to move to Canada? Will a clear letter from the father be enough? I seem to remember there was a Canadian form for this, but I have not been able to find it on the new London web site.

Thanks!

Last edited by bewillow; Apr 30th 2009 at 5:18 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR application questions: step daughter, following documentation, originals?

Hi

Originally Posted by bewillow
I am a Canadian citizen thinking of moving back to Canada with my British wife and her minor daughter from a prior relationship (that sounds too clinical: the daughter is a lovely person and lives with us).

A couple of questions about their application for PR:

(1) Which supporting documents, if any, do we need to submit as originals? The guidance is unclear. Passports are specified as photocopies (of only the info pages). What about Marriage certificate? Birth certficates? (I would generally prefer to submit photocopies of all documents with a note saying the originals are available on request.)

(2) Can we submit the applications for sponsorship and PR now to CPC-M without including Police report and Medical Reports. When those are available and we have the PR case number, could we then send those directly to the London visa office?

(3) My wife has sole parental responsibility for her daughter under UK law, but there is no British government document we can get that “proves” this. What documentation do we need to submit with the application to show she is free to move to Canada? Will a clear letter from the father be enough? I seem to remember there was a Canadian form for this, but I have not been able to find it on the new London web site.

Thanks!
1. Go back read the instructions again http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp
2. Your sponsorship with your spouses application and ALL supporting documents including proof of medical and police certificates for both her and her daughter (if the daughter is over 18) are sent to Mississauga. If Mississauga approves the sponsorship, then the application would be sent to London for processing.
3. Read the Region specific checklist for the required documents
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf
4. You can pay the fees on line, include the receipt with the sponsorship.
5. Depending on the age of the daughter, you may have to get a court order to remove her from the UK. CHC London seems to waffle back and forth on this.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default Re: PR application questions: step daughter, following documentation, originals?

Originally Posted by PMM
1. Go back read the instructions again http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp
I actually have printed and annotated the whole lot, including the OP and IP sections of the operations manuals. I have read through it, but my questions were not answered, hence my original post. Any references to sections which answer my question would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by PMM
2. Your sponsorship with your spouses application and ALL supporting documents including proof of medical and police certificates for both her and her daughter (if the daughter is over 18) are sent to Mississauga. If Mississauga approves the sponsorship, then the application would be sent to London for processing.
I take this answer as meaning you believe all the material MUST be finished before we submit and we can not add things (like medical and police record) after submitting to CPC-M. (This is annoying since the PR must start within a year of the medical).

Originally Posted by PMM
3. Read the Region specific checklist for the required documents
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf
Done. But this does not answer my original question, which was: which of the documents can be photocopies and which MUST be originals.

Originally Posted by PMM
4. You can pay the fees on line, include the receipt with the sponsorship.
Already noted.

Originally Posted by PMM
5. Depending on the age of the daughter, you may have to get a court order to remove her from the UK. CHC London seems to waffle back and forth on this.
CIC do not mention this. Any reference to it, on either CIC web sites or in this forum? Is this something we must include proactively in what we send to CPC-M, or do we wait to see if it is requested?
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
CIC do not mention this. Any reference to it, on either CIC web sites or in this forum? Is this something we must include proactively in what we send to CPC-M, or do we wait to see if it is requested?

How old is the daughter? And what exactly is meant by "sole parental responsibility?"
Old May 5th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
How old is the daughter? And what exactly is meant by "sole parental responsibility?"
The daughter will be twelve years old this summer.

Parental Responsibility: My wife is the only adult who has "parental responsibility" for her daughter. She has sole legal authority in deciding on medical treatment, schools, moving, etc.. in the UK. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/...hts/DG_4002954 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenta...land_and_Wales provide decent overviews.

p.s. sorry about the delay in replying