Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

NIKKI AND ANYONE NS BOUND SIN /HEALTH ETC

NIKKI AND ANYONE NS BOUND SIN /HEALTH ETC

Old May 4th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default NIKKI AND ANYONE NS BOUND SIN /HEALTH ETC

Been today to get SIN cards etc it was a doddle!

You just need to take your passports plus the bit of paper you get when you land to confirm you are a landed Immigrant ( it gives me such a thrill to be called a landed Immigrant)

They give you your SIN number there and then takes about 3 minutes. We took the forms already completed with us and these can be downloaded from the service canada website.

There are service canada offices everywhere we only had a 10 minute journey to one here in the outback so you cityish bound folk will have no problem.

Health cards have to be obtained over the phone or in person but only at the Dartmouth office.You cant download the forms , you have to answer a few questions over the phone and then they send you the forms to complete.

Coverage is backdated to your date of landing though and if get your head stuck in saucepan or whatever before your Health cards are issued it wont be a problem.

You need to send off a copy of your landing paper and you also need to provide the full name and address of a Canadian citizen who can verify that you live in Nova Scotia should they ever want to check.

All in all easy peasey.

You can also register for the nova scotia drug programme I beleive this covers you for part of drug costs should you ever need anything very expensive. Its free to register but you must register to qualify should the worst happen. You need the actual Health card number for this so when we have ours i will report back give you the links etc.
good luck all
Old May 4th 2009, 8:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIKKI AND ANYONE NS BOUND SIN /HEALTH ETC

Originally Posted by chumley
You can also register for the nova scotia drug programme I beleive this covers you for part of drug costs should you ever need anything very expensive.
Ah yes...you pay 20% and then a sort of "premium" according to income. The premium could be anything from zero.

The website has a nice calculator that indicates the cost.

There's even a 'find a doctor taking new patients' feature here.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah yes...you pay 20% and then a sort of "premium" according to income. The premium could be anything from zero.

The website has a nice calculator that indicates the cost.

There's even a 'find a doctor taking new patients' feature here.
thanks bristol much appreciated
I see you worked for the DHSS for a century so did I!! must say the service canada office has no resemblance to any ss office in the UK
Old May 4th 2009, 8:28 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info Chumley, really useful, on my list of things to do the first few days
Old May 4th 2009, 8:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
I see you worked for the DHSS for a century so did I!! must say the service canada office has no resemblance to any ss office in the UK
Really?
The Service Canada offices I visited in Montreal were quite bleak whereas the one here was as nice as the new style Job Centre Plus offices that were opening up when I left.
(nice looking but terrible to work in)
Old May 4th 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

As ever, Chumley, hugely useful information for all to tap into. Many thanks.