Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR application/processing times for parent

PR application/processing times for parent

Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Orthodude16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR application/processing times for parent

Hello, As a Canadian PR based in Vancouver is it possible to sponsor a parent who is in England for PR? What is the process and how long does it generally take? Is it better to become a citizen and then sponsor a parent?
Also any guidance on how to proceed and is it worth getting an immigration lawyer for this or is it easy enough to do yourself?
Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR application/processing times for parent

Yes, a PR can sponsor, as long as they have the required amount of income from Canadian sources in the past 3 years.

See the recent thread about the parental sponsorship program opening up soon, if you want to apply under this year's program then you need to do that. There's no need for a consultant, it's very straightforward and to start with you're only applying for the lottery system anyway, you don't submit a full application unless you get picked.

Just bear in mind that your chances will be pretty slim, about a 10% chance going on the last time there was a lottery, but as the program never opened this year there may be even more people trying to apply. Current processing times are about 2 years.

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you have a link for application for the lottery for this year as when i searched it only showed up as opening from next january 1st 2021? I think i may be missing something here!
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s-program.html

Although from your previous posts it looks as though you’ve not been in Canada long? So you wouldn’t be eligible to apply this year anyway?
Old Oct 7th 2020, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a million. I have a sibling there thats applying for my parents, so this helps a lot.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Orthodude16
Thanks a million. I have a sibling there thats applying for my parents, so this helps a lot.
Ah, gotcha. Good luck to him/her.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, a PR can sponsor, as long as they have the required amount of income from Canadian sources in the past 3 years.
Thread hijack (rather than starting a new thread)... Is the income from the past 3 years an average, or you have to have earned over the threshold for each of the three years prior to application? I started working mid-way through 2018, so only earned $29k that year, but earned <$60k in 2018 and will have earned almost $70k in 2020. It seems somewhat silly that my part-year earnings in 2018 would push me out of eligibility when my earnings for the two years after that are well above the threshold for sponsorship.

Also, you mentioned that the chances of being selected from the lottery is approx 10%. What numbers is that based on? I thought I read that the number of residency apps was being increased from 10k to 30k in 2021. Are you just referring to your chances of being selected out of the 10k?
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to Covid applications for parental sponsorship were over 100,000 per year so who knows how many there will be going forward.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Thread hijack (rather than starting a new thread)... Is the income from the past 3 years an average, or you have to have earned over the threshold for each of the three years prior to application? I started working mid-way through 2018, so only earned $29k that year, but earned <$60k in 2018 and will have earned almost $70k in 2020. It seems somewhat silly that my part-year earnings in 2018 would push me out of eligibility when my earnings for the two years after that are well above the threshold for sponsorship.

Also, you mentioned that the chances of being selected from the lottery is approx 10%. What numbers is that based on? I thought I read that the number of residency apps was being increased from 10k to 30k in 2021. Are you just referring to your chances of being selected out of the 10k?
Unfortunately it’s minimum per year, not average. After all, if it was average there would be people eligible to apply after just one year which wouldn’t really be fair on those earning less.

And yes, it’s a lottery, this year is less than normal at 10k, next year is more than usual at 30k (has been around 20k in past years), but as said they normally have many times that number in applicants so it’s just a case of applying and seeing if you get lucky.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 9th 2020 at 5:47 pm.