Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Parental/Grandparent sponsorship details.

Parental/Grandparent sponsorship details.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parental/Grandparent sponsorship details.

Lottery system to allow immigrants to sponsor parents, grandparents opens Oct. 13

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parent-grandparent-sponsorship-lottery-1.5750827

Those selected will have 60 days to submit their applications. Normally there are 20,000 spots available, but due to the suspension caused by COVID-19, there will be 10,000 available spots this year and 30,000 in 2021.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 10:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parental/Grandparent sponsorship details.

The Official word: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...s-program.html
Over a 3-week period, from 12 p.m. EDT on October 13, 2020, to 12 p.m. EST on November 3, 2020, Canadians and permanent residents who wish to sponsor their parents and grandparents to come to Canada will have an opportunity to submit an interest to sponsor form online.

In order to ensure a fair, transparent and equal opportunity for applicants, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will randomly select potential sponsors and send them an invitation to submit an application. Selected applicants will have 60 days to submit their application.

Old Oct 6th 2020, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what income requirements are?

It says "not decided yet". Apparently previous years were "minimum income requirement +30%". Was anyone following what this was?

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2020, 5:41 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Will_PA View Post

It says "not decided yet". Apparently previous years were "minimum income requirement +30%". Was anyone following what this was?

Thanks
1. Here is the table for the Minimum Necessary Income. Previous years you would have to add %30 https://tinyurl.com/ycpt74w3
Old Oct 6th 2020, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, and each of previous three full tax years' NoAs would need to exceed this?
Old Oct 6th 2020, 10:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
It says just Minimum Income, no +30% for 2020 (normal for previous 2 years) : -
This from original link I gave -
Given that many sponsors may have been financially impacted by the exceptional circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, IRCC is introducing a temporary public policy that will reduce the income requirement for the 2020 tax year to the minimum necessary income, instead of the minimum necessary income plus 30%.
and for clarity: the link to the page below was buried

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...come-2020.html

the requirement to have a total income at least equal to the minimum necessary income but only as it relates to the aspect of the calculation of such income for the 2020 taxation year and specifically pertaining to the exclusion, under subparagraph 134(1.1)(b)(iv) of the Regulations, of income received under the EIA from said calculation. For further clarity, sponsors who with the inclusion of income received under the EIA would meet the applicable minimum necessary income threshold for 2020 comply with this condition. They will still need to meet the regulatory requirement from the minimum necessary income perspective for any other taxation years required by the Regulations

For further clarity, foreign nationals with sponsors who with or without the inclusion of income received under the EIA would meet the applicable minimum necessary income threshold for 2020 but who do not meet the requirement to have an additional 30% of income would comply with this condition. They will still need to meet the regulatory requirement to meet the minimum necessary income plus 30% for any other taxation years required by the Regulations.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

OK, thanks, I'm still not clear but I'll have to read up on it if we decide to try our luck.

We became resident in Oct 2017, so only have 3 months' income for 2017 NoA. Not clear if they need 2017 income to exceed minimum + 30%. COVID is 2020 tax year anyway, so no NoA. If the three years are 2018, 2019 and 2020 it means we are OK.
Old Oct 7th 2020, 4:39 am
Banned

OK, thanks, I'm still not clear but I'll have to read up on it if we decide to try our luck.

We became resident in Oct 2017, so only have 3 months' income for 2017 NoA. Not clear if they need 2017 income to exceed minimum + 30%. COVID is 2020 tax year anyway, so no NoA. If the three years are 2018, 2019 and 2020 it means we are OK.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ndparents.html for info only
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1445&top=14
Old Oct 9th 2020, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused... the link says about income from the past 12 months, but I thought you needed to meet the requirement for 3 years prior? Do I just apply the same logic for all three years, or do I need to go back and check the income requirement for 2019 and 2018 as well?

Also, I'm only just learning about the +30% - what's the point in the table if the actual required amount is 30% higher? Why not just put the +30% amount? Weird.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh View Post
I'm a bit confused... the link says about income from the past 12 months, but I thought you needed to meet the requirement for 3 years prior? Do I just apply the same logic for all three years, or do I need to go back and check the income requirement for 2019 and 2018 as well?

Also, I'm only just learning about the +30% - what's the point in the table if the actual required amount is 30% higher? Why not just put the +30% amount? Weird.
Where are you reading it says 1 year, can you quote that bit?

The LICO is essentially the amount considered the poverty line in most of Canada, hence why you need 30% above that to sponsor.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kswoosh View Post

Do have a good read of the links provided
It's saying that for 2020 you only have to meet LICO (not LICO +30%) - but for the preceding 2 / 3 years you must have met LICO + 30% (each year).