Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Potential UK Grad moving to Canada

Potential UK Grad moving to Canada

Old Sep 9th 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Canada here I come is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential UK Grad moving to Canada

Hello!

I'm starting a UK University this month where I'll be studying BSC Geography. My University has links with universities in Canada and I have the opportunity to study at one of them during my course. I'm not so sure on the technicalities for this to happen having not started my course yet - this is very speculative information. What I am certain of however, on completion of my course I will be deemed a graduate. Certain Canadian provinces accept international graduates only if they adhere to a specific criteria that aims to fill the job deficit in public sectors. The majority of these positions require a STEM subject - especially engineering. That aside, I've considered teaching but a quick google search told me that Canada has a surplus of teachers where many teacher grads work remedial jobs because they are replaced with teachers with more experience. My chances of being accepted as a 'foreign' teacher are obviously very slim.

That being said, I have an uncle who lives in Canada - although he is originally from the UK like myself - he acquired permanent residence 17 years ago through his career. Could he be my nominee? I've been looking at the possibility of me studying a masters at a Canadian University for 2 years where I could live with my uncle during that time (one possibility) - now the complexity and uncertainty arises: I remember reading that if you are to apply for Canadian PR then you must have studied in Canada for at least 2 years (this is why I'd chose to do my masters in Canada) - this is very vague knowledge of mine - If someone could enlighten me on the details of this that would be great...

There is a vast pool of information out there and I find it's very ambiguous and sometimes contradictory. Where is the best possible source of information to derive conclusions from given that

a) I'm a potential graduate student
b) I'd pursue a masters in Canada IF it enabled me to apply for PR
c) I have an uncle who lives in Canada

I've been travelling to Canada for 10 years and I love the country - especially Ontario. It is so liberal and optimistic compared to the UK. The UK is a very suppressed country I find and I dream about starting a new life in Canada after University. I hope that with my Uncle and my course, Geography, will make it a reality. Oh and my age is 19.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Canada here I come; Sep 9th 2013 at 6:51 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

cornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nicecornwall9 is just really nice
Default Re: Potential UK Grad moving to Canada

You don't need to have studied in Canada to get PR, there are lots of different ways to gain PR status. I would personally recommend doing a Masters in the UK or just gaining a few years work experience upon graduating then moving over there. This way you'd avoid the extortionate international student fees over there.

Have you checked out 'the list' (occupations in high demand in Canada)? This list changes all the time to reflect the changing demands on the Canadian economy, which is why it's tricky to predict what sort of job will get you into Canada. Having an occupation (with qualifications (not necessarily a Masters) and relevant work experience) that is in high demand in Canada is half the ticket for PR.

Otherwise you could always apply for jobs over in Canada, I believe having a job offer (with Labour Market Opinion) opens up lots of different routes for you.

I'm sure someone else will advise you on whether your uncle is closely related enough to be able to sponsor you, if anything I would think you can claim an extra few points in the adaptability section of the points test.

If you have a read through the immigration Wiki at the top of this page, there's tones of info in there too! Again, all of this info may have changed by the time you graduate in 3-4 years. I'd say enjoy your studies, definitely make the most of the chance to do an exchange year to Canada and see how you go afterwards... I know of quite a few people who went back to University to qualify for an occupation that used to be on the list in Oz and Canada, then the list changed and they got nowhere.

Good luck!

Last edited by cornwall9; Sep 10th 2013 at 8:27 pm. Reason: .
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:59 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Potential UK Grad moving to Canada

Or you could apply for the IEC program and come to Canada on a Working Holiday as you're between 18-30 years old. Gain some experience, apply for PR further down the line.

You can read about it here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

Last edited by jennellapea; Sep 11th 2013 at 12:01 am. Reason: added in a link to IEC