Post natal depression

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough
Default Post natal depression

Hi there,

We will hopefully receive medical requests in a short while. My wife is extremely anxious (which in itself is raising her BP!) about this, as her BP is quite high at the moment (even though she is on some fairly mild medication).

She gave birth to our daughter just over four months ago and feels that in part her HBP is due to post natal depression (although this is her diagnosis not a doctors). We feel that we can gather a reasonable amount of evidence to show that her heart is in good order (she had a full cardio during pregnancy) and her kidneys are fine as she had regular tests (and is in fact due to have one more on Monday). If the BP is measured as high would it be advisable to mention post natal depression or could this cause us more issues?

Many thanks,

James.

Last edited by jwsadler; Oct 2nd 2008 at 8:04 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:29 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice
Default Re: Post natal depression

I know immigrating is important to you, but I would prioritize your wife's health over the medicals. Postpartum depression can be serious and is treatable. Same with high BP (depending on how high) and she's already on medication for it any way so it's not like it would be a new thing to appear on the medicals. Why would your wife invent postpartum depression as an explanation unless she was actually concerned about how she is doing? Seems like an odd thing to say, unless you want it addressed.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

jwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the roughjwsadler is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by club_biscuit
I know immigrating is important to you, but I would prioritize your wife's health over the medicals. Postpartum depression can be serious and is treatable. Same with high BP (depending on how high) and she's already on medication for it any way so it's not like it would be a new thing to appear on the medicals. Why would your wife invent postpartum depression as an explanation unless she was actually concerned about how she is doing? Seems like an odd thing to say, unless you want it addressed.
I will PM you if okay

James.

Last edited by jwsadler; Oct 2nd 2008 at 12:59 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:43 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that the medical is largely a physical examination. So unless you declare it then post natal depression might not be obvious during the examination. But I also agree with the above poster that getting this treated and feeling well and happy would have to be the most important thing of all and not the immigration medical.

Also remeber that you arent rejected for having any medical condition at all. There are only 2 reasons you would be rejected:

1) you are a danger to public health (i.e. you have a dangerous contagious desease)
2) you will place excessive demand on the health system

Clearly post natal depression doesnt fit into 1). I'm not a doctor so I cant be certain it will/wont cause excessive demand. The test is whether the condition is likely to cost more to treat per year than the average per-capita health cost (currently about $5k). So if it was something that required prescribed medication and not much more I dont think you would come anywhere near to there being an excessive demand issue.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Remember that the medical is largely a physical examination. So unless you declare it then post natal depression might not be obvious during the examination. But I also agree with the above poster that getting this treated and feeling well and happy would have to be the most important thing of all and not the immigration medical.

Also remeber that you arent rejected for having any medical condition at all. There are only 2 reasons you would be rejected:

1) you are a danger to public health (i.e. you have a dangerous contagious desease)
2) you will place excessive demand on the health system

Clearly post natal depression doesnt fit into 1). I'm not a doctor so I cant be certain it will/wont cause excessive demand. The test is whether the condition is likely to cost more to treat per year than the average per-capita health cost (currently about $5k). So if it was something that required prescribed medication and not much more I dont think you would come anywhere near to there being an excessive demand issue.
Thanks NSpaul,

I understand where you are coming from. And I think you have answered my question - which was: what should we voluntarily tell the doctor at the medical. Even though my original post may be less than clear can I please say that a) we are taking this very seriously, but that at present my wife is more concerned about the HBP and 2) I never in anyway meant to suggest that this was invented.

Many thanks,

James.

Last edited by jwsadler; Oct 2nd 2008 at 1:57 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

If she thinks she might have post natal depression, she should go and discuss it with her doctor, and if necessary get it treated (they don't always just hand out the antidepressants, sometimes just talking to someone can help). She could also mention her concerns about her bloodpressure at the same time, that can be checked and if necessary treated too.

Neither PND or well controlled high blood pressure would stop you emigrating - I don't have a blood pressure problem, but I did have PND, it didn't stop me.

And believe me, if she does have PND, leaving it will only make things seem worse.... persuade her to go and talk to her GP because she probably won't start to feel better until she does.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:55 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
If she thinks she might have post natal depression, she should go and discuss it with her doctor, and if necessary get it treated (they don't always just hand out the antidepressants, sometimes just talking to someone can help). She could also mention her concerns about her bloodpressure at the same time, that can be checked and if necessary treated too.

Neither PND or well controlled high blood pressure would stop you emigrating - I don't have a blood pressure problem, but I did have PND, it didn't stop me.

And believe me, if she does have PND, leaving it will only make things seem worse.... persuade her to go and talk to her GP because she probably won't start to feel better until she does.
please, please.....do nothing else but to get your wife the help that is out there for pnd.....it's a truly horrible thing for her to be going through and such a lonely place...for you too.....i'm talking from experience (our daughter is now 17) and i didn't get help, tried to struggle through, thought i'd done it (when she was 10) only for it to come back in an even bigger wave!!!! i then sought help and can only say that it was the best thing to do and wish i hadn't been so proud not to ask for help all those years previously.....good luck hunny xxx
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

I am James' other half. Thank you very much for all your very kind comments. I am going to the doctors on Monday to have BP checked and to discuss the post-natal depresssion. I've recently read that having depression can cause a spike in your BP, which I guess isn't really surprising. Thank you again!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jwsadler
Hi everyone

I am James' other half. Thank you very much for all your very kind comments. I am going to the doctors on Monday to have BP checked and to discuss the post-natal depresssion. I've recently read that having depression can cause a spike in your BP, which I guess isn't really surprising. Thank you again!
You be easy on yourself - Postnatal depression SUCKS bigtime.

I am sure the Dr will be able to do something to help you out, even if it is recommending parent/toddler groups for you to go to (mine put me forward for free sessions at the council run gym - exercise is great for depression apparently, and being able to put the baby in a creche and have a little bit of "me" time really helped!)
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:06 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jwsadler
Hi everyone

Good Luck for monday, it really helped me talking to someone professional about it, they seem to make sense of everything when I couldn't!

Originally Posted by LotteW
You be easy on yourself - Postnatal depression SUCKS bigtime.

I am sure the Dr will be able to do something to help you out, even if it is recommending parent/toddler groups for you to go to (mine put me forward for free sessions at the council run gym - exercise is great for depression apparently, and being able to put the baby in a creche and have a little bit of "me" time really helped!)

Totally agree, once I got my confidence and started taking daughter to mum & toddler groups I made more friends and realised I wasn't alone, PND is more common than you think.