Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Possible Lay Offs, what are my options?

Possible Lay Offs, what are my options?

Old Mar 21st 2015, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Swingdoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible Lay Offs, what are my options?

I am currently Working in Saskatchewan on an employer based work permit. I came over here as a Provincial nominee with a job offer. I have my application in for permanent residency.
There is talk of lay offs at my company, if I was to be laid off, what would be my options? As I was nominated by the province and I have my PR application in. But my work permit is restricted to my company for another year?
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 2:01 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible Lay Offs, what are my options?

If you get laid off and you have worked enough hours you can claim EI.

You can stay in canada and look for other work but would need a new TWP to be able to start.

If it happens, Contact SINP. If they have nominated you, they may be able to help with the work permit situation when looking for a new job.

I've been laid off on a TWP and it can be a nightmare to find an employer willing to take you on (ironcally i had to move from ON to SK to find new work). The fact that you already have the provincial nomination will be a huge help.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Swingdoor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JGK
If you get laid off and you have worked enough hours you can claim EI.

You can stay in canada and look for other work but would need a new TWP to be able to start.

If it happens, Contact SINP. If they have nominated you, they may be able to help with the work permit situation when looking for a new job.

I've been laid off on a TWP and it can be a nightmare to find an employer willing to take you on (ironcally i had to move from ON to SK to find new work). The fact that you already have the provincial nomination will be a huge help.

Thanks, It may never happen, but I want to be in a position where I can put a plan into action if it does happen and be prepared, especially as there is a lot of talk. But fingers crossed I remain safe.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

I would check as you have been nominated by your province you may be able to obtain an open WP.@$255 obtainable on line as long as you have a file# from your provincial PNP approval.. I know this is the case in MB. as I went to a meeting with MBpnp and CIC on behalf of a friend who could not attend.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's excellent. James, I thought you were in another province or is my memory hazy...Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

na been in MB since we arrived.. hope it helps
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, bad memory.. not the first time!