Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Toronto

2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Toronto

Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:51 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Question 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Toronto

The thread title almost sounds like an intro to a movie

Quick question...

I am planning to return to Toronto to settle permanently this October.

Since my wife and I landed in Oct 2012, we have had a little baby boy and we're just going through the UK passport application - depending on the UK Passport Office backlog...

My father and mother are green card holders of the US, and had planned to come with us, as visitors, when we land in October. However, my mum succumbed to cancer in Dec 2013, and we then applied for the parent SuperVisa for my dad.

This application was successful, and he's been told to take this approval letter from CIC, proof that my sister (who is the sponsor) will support him financially and proof of his 1 year’s medical insurance when presenting himself to CBSA at Pearson.

My question is that as we are 3 adults and 1 infant presenting ourselves at passport control at Pearson in October, can we all go to a CBSA agent as one family, or do we split up and go to separate agents?

We are planning to sponsor my son once in Canada, and my father will hopefully get an extended stay stamp based on this SuperVisa approval (we understand that it is the CBSA agent’s discretion depending on the supporting documentation shown at time of landing).

Probably not a big issue, but it will put an overactive mind at ease.

Thanks for reading.

MS.
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2014, 11:23 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,885
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

If all living at the same address then Yes. Even if not you can all approach the CBSA officer at the Primary Inspection Line (Passport control) and explain the situation. Will you have a Goods to Follow list?
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2014, 11:49 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If all living at the same address then Yes. Even if not you can all approach the CBSA officer at the Primary Inspection Line (Passport control) and explain the situation. Will you have a Goods to Follow list?
Thanks FL.

Yes, we're all at the same address. I will have a goods to follow list as well. i'm just finishing that off at the moment.
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:50 am
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Thanks FL.

Yes, we're all at the same address. I will have a goods to follow list as well. i'm just finishing that off at the moment.
Exciting times!

Make sure your Dad asks for a visitor record (not just the generic stamp in his passport) as he will need it if he wants to get a drivers licence etc.

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2014, 5:27 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Exciting times!

Make sure your Dad asks for a visitor record (not just the generic stamp in his passport) as he will need it if he wants to get a drivers licence etc.

Oh that's good to know! Thanks Siouxie!
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 1:40 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Requesting some help from forum members....

Dad 'landed' on the weekend at Pearson, but on a SuperVisa, and was provided with a 2 year passport stamp. He requested a Vistor Record, but was told by the CBSA officer that it wasn't needed anymore. Is this true?

He is coming back to help me move the last of our belongings and then flying back with us in June, so when we go through passport control, is it worth asking for a Vistor Record for him?

Thanks for helping a perplexed mind.

MS.
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:09 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,157
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Requesting some help from forum members....

Dad 'landed' on the weekend at Pearson, but on a SuperVisa, and was provided with a 2 year passport stamp. He requested a Vistor Record, but was told by the CBSA officer that it wasn't needed anymore. Is this true?

He is coming back to help me move the last of our belongings and then flying back with us in June, so when we go through passport control, is it worth asking for a Vistor Record for him?

Thanks for helping a perplexed mind.

MS.
It's our experience that most of the Immigration Offices are not up to date with the Super Visa.

We entered from the US via Lewiston...our PP was stamped with 2 year date. The IO had never heard of the Super Visa...went away to ask his supervisor...who said just to stamp our PPs. A few weeks later we went to Pearson Airport for our NEXUS cards. The IOs in the NEXUS office said we needed a visitors record. We were sent into the bowels of the airport to see an IO...he said we didn't need a visitors record. We went back to the NEXUS office and the IOs their shook their heads with confusion.

I asked our very own IO...Former Lancastrian. He informed me that we did indeed need a visitors record. For this you must go back to the port of entry...so off we went back to Lewiston. Fortunately that time the IO knew about the Super Visa...called the original guy we saw a few choice names...and stapled the visitors record in our PPs. He said the stamp in our PPs meant nothing. He also advised us to keep the original acceptance letter from CIC in our PPs.

Edit: We have entered Canada multiple times since then...both by road and by air. No one has looked at the visitors record. When we use NEXUS we are waved straight through. If we don't use NEXUS...when asked the reason for our visit to Canada...we say we are temporarily living in Toronto.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2015 at 2:21 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:22 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's our experience that most of the Immigration Offices are not up to date with the Super Visa.

We entered from the US via Lewiston...our PP was stamped with 2 year date. The IO had never heard of the Super Visa...went away to ask his supervisor...who said just to stamp our PPs. A few weeks later we went to Pearson Airport for our NEXUS cards. The IOs in the NEXUS office said we needed a visitors record. We were sent into the bowels of the airport to see an IO...he said we didn't need a visitors record. We went back to the NEXUS office and the IOs their shook their heads with confusion.

I asked our very own IO...Former Lancastrian. He informed me that we did indeed need a visitors record. For this you must go back to the port of entry...so off we went back to Lewiston. Fortunately that time the IO knew about the Super Visa...called the original guy we saw a few choice names...and stapled the visitors record in our PPs. He said the stamp in our PPs meant nothing. He also advised us to keep the original acceptance letter from CIC in our PPs.

Edit: We have entered Canada multiple times since then...both by road and by air. No one has looked at the visitors record. When we use NEXUS we are waved straight through. If we don't use NEXUS...when asked the reason for our visit to Canada...we say we are temporarily living in Toronto.
Thank you so much JerseyGirl - i'll make a point of requesting this from the IO when we fly back through Pearson in June.
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:39 am
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,157
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
Thank you so much JerseyGirl - i'll make a point of requesting this from the IO when we fly back through Pearson in June.
Good luck. I hope you get an IO who knows about the SV.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:57 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
MapleSauce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Posts: 348
MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good luck. I hope you get an IO who knows about the SV.
I'll print off CIC website pages
MapleSauce is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 3:09 am
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 88,157
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 PRs, 1 SuperVisa and a new born Baby with a UK passport at Passport Control Tor

Originally Posted by MapleSauce
I'll print off CIC website pages
The guy we were sent to see at Pearson...we were already in Canada so it wasn't an IO at the point of entry...said they only issue visitor records to those who they think may overstay.

I would also take all relevant SV paperwork and proof of health insurance. Although no one has asked to see proof of insurance.

Wait until next year when tax time comes around. We are going through this at the moment. Seems that the CRA don't know much about the SV either...its a nightmare. I won't discuss this here as this is the Immigration forum.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 23rd 2015 at 3:23 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.