Police Check - Uganda

Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future
Default Police Check - Uganda

It looks like I will have to get a Police Check from Uganda to cover my time working there as a teacher from 1969-73.

I have found the relevant page on the CIC website, have tried to phone the office in Uganda to get the up to date cost ( 30,000 Uganda Shillings if anyone is interested ).

Now I have the problem - how on earth do I obtain and send 30,000 Uganda shillings to cover the cost ?
Do you think they would accept $20 Canadian cash - which is the going exchange rate ?

Any advice gratefully recieved !!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Check - Uganda

To my mind this is quite simple: just send them a bankdraft in their local currency. Do add a note saying they will incur no cost at all when cashing the cheque.

Originally Posted by Graham-H
It looks like I will have to get a Police Check from Uganda to cover my time working there as a teacher from 1969-73.

I have found the relevant page on the CIC website, have tried to phone the office in Uganda to get the up to date cost ( 30,000 Uganda Shillings if anyone is interested ).

Now I have the problem - how on earth do I obtain and send 30,000 Uganda shillings to cover the cost ?
Do you think they would accept $20 Canadian cash - which is the going exchange rate ?

Any advice gratefully recieved !!!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

thanks for your reply - I'll call into my bank later today and see if they can do that.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Hey that bites that you have to deal with that.

I found some info for you on the CIC website

(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ica/uganda.asp)

How to obtain a police certificate
Uganda

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes.

How and where do I obtain one?
You should include with your application:

* two passport-size photographs
* a set of fingerprints of both hands taken by a recognized police authority
* the applicable fees of Ug Shs 12,000
(seems this has changed now?)

Send your application to:

International Criminal Police Organisation
National Central Bureau of Interpol
Plot 2 Mabua Road Kololo
P.O. Box 2973
Kampala
Telephone: +256-414-500695/500698
Fax: +256-414-500696

Note: Fees are subject to change.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the info - it was what I had found too.

I actually called them in Uganda today to find the up to date cost for the certificate - believe me it was not easy - the phone line was less than perfect but I think I got the right figure eventually !!

Now a visit this afternoon to to the local RCMP to find out if they will take my fingerprints.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Not a bad afternoons work !!

Had my fingerprints taken at local RCMP office - $28.25 and less than 20 mins in total.

Went to bank for a bank draft in Uganda Shillings - NO CHANCE !!! They only offered about 20 currencies so opted for the US $ as a pretty universal one in any country. I think the girl at the bank was new - because it took almost 1 hour to get the bank draft for $25 US

Now I need to write my letter and get it all posted off to Kampala. Wonder how long before the certificate gets returned ??