Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Wikiposts

points going up from 67 soon-really??

Old Jul 19th 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: points going up from 67 soon-really??

I think the points are worked a little unfairly.
My wife and I both left school at the earliest opportunity to go straight into full time work.
I have been in IT for the last 12 years working my way up and the same applies for my wife in financial services. We both earn more than the average wage and have done ok for ourselves.
Saying this we only get 67 points and this is only because my wife has done a 2 year dilpoma in her work.
Saying this I still think there should be some kind of criteria (unlike here) to qualify but so much comes down to education.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
I think the points are worked a little unfairly.
My wife and I both left school at the earliest opportunity to go straight into full time work.
I have been in IT for the last 12 years working my way up and the same applies for my wife in financial services. We both earn more than the average wage and have done ok for ourselves.
Saying this we only get 67 points and this is only because my wife has done a 2 year dilpoma in her work.
Saying this I still think there should be some kind of criteria (unlike here) to qualify but so much comes down to education.
I agree the points system is a farce. It's been a while since I checked but I scored very highly (late 70s) when I looked last. I got all these points mainly through education and Francais, which while conducive to employment in Canada, doesn't allow for the fact that my skills per se are not really all that in demand. Yet I would sail through the system.

An overhaul! They need an overhaul I tell thee!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I agree. I also think they should raise the threshold to 75 points again, or even put it up by a full 10 and make the pass mark 77. This would thin out the line considerably, ease the waiting times for those with the higher points, and push more people with the specific jobs that can be arranged from overseas into securing jobs in Canada first. They could even allow a low quota of people with, say, 77 points and the skills and experience in jobs in heavy demand to go on PNP without job offers.
The bit I didn’t follow was your suggesting a pass of 77 then saying ……They could even allow a low quota of people with, say, 77 points ……. if the pass mark was 77 and you had 77 then you could go PNP as it is now unless you wanted a specific province that didn’t match your skill set to the PNP job requirement.

Originally Posted by Tableland
….
My last sentence states that those with really high points and skills in a specific job in great demand (who clearly surpass CIC's criteria and are therefore highly employable), could be issued with regional (PNP) visas without job offers.
Now I’m really confused – this is the way it works now isn’t it?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41
The bit I didn’t follow was your suggesting a pass of 77 then saying ……They could even allow a low quota of people with, say, 77 points ……. if the pass mark was 77 and you had 77 then you could go PNP as it is now unless you wanted a specific province that didn’t match your skill set to the PNP job requirement.

No, you need a job offer with PNP.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41

Hi Macmike

To clarify, in my crazy little restructuring programme of the Canadian immigration system, I would diversify the visa system and move away from the current rather monolithic one.

1. A skilled worker category with a high pass-mark threshold (say 72) to ensure a general route into Canada. The raising of the threshold five points from 67 would reduce the number of those waiting and consequently the waiting times. No job offer required.

2. A regional and provisional visa, open to those who score highly (say 77) to those who can demonstrate skills and experience in a job in specific and heavy demand in regional Canada. This visa is provisional and if a job cannot be secured in a certain time-frame the visa holder must return to original country. Very few would get this visa because of the demanding requirements. This gets immigrants out of the Big Three locations and develops regional Canada. No job offer required.

2. A permanent visa to anywhere in Canada through job sponsorship, like PNP. Job offer required, of course.

Just thoughts on the matter. Waiting 8 years for a visa is a fiasco by anyone's measure.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tableland,

These are good ideas, and I mostly agree, although I would have the higher points for general skilled worker visa and the lower for the regional one. This will allow people with very specific skills a conditional way in even if they don't match the general catchment criteria.

Personally I don't think it will be 10+ (although I am not an expert) years before people who applied using the SAP will be dealt with; I remember there was a long time in 2006 when nobody was getting visas whereas now things do seem to be moving at least.

I can see that Andrew has an interest in the pessimistic view as the SAP has to be bad for the consulting business; filling in the forms is the easy bit and maybe not many people are going to need help with it. Saying this, if I didn't have PR already I'd still be taking his advice and finding a job first as even 4 years is a ridiculous time to wait.

Alan
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I can see that Andrew has an interest in the pessimistic view as the SAP has to be bad for the consulting business; filling in the forms is the easy bit and maybe not many people are going to need help with it.
You obviously don't know me and have somehow twisted idea about my business.

I don't really have any vested business interest in posting my opinion about SAP as I don't post in this forum to get clients - as a matter of fact less than 5% of my clients come from BritishExpats, no matter if I post 40 times a day or don't post for weeks. My reasons for being here are similar to the doctor's reasons for reading medical journals, discussing with others various cases, etc., or to for example trail lawyer's reasons for following and discussing lawsuits that are not his, as simply one day one of us may encounter the problem we didn't have before with our clients or patients. Being here greatly expands my access to many more than my own clients' cases and circumstances, letting me analyze them and finding solutions - so, it is mainly research and practice for me, not "trolling for clients" as some have already accused me of in this forum in the past. I don't need to be in this forum to make a living.

Ask other experts why they are here and you'll get the same answer.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 19th 2007 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,

I wasn't accusing you of trolling for business - I know how valuable and useful your advice is - so I am sorry if i caused any offense! As I said, If I was applying now I WOULD take your advice as it's good even if the current processing times don't get any worse.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:27 pm

And I'm not accusing you either and you didn't offend me - I have stated that some, not yourself, accused me. But I needed to make my point so your post is not later misinterpreted by readers who are new here. All is OK
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hi Tableland,

These are good ideas, and I mostly agree, although I would have the higher points for general skilled worker visa and the lower for the regional one. This will allow people with very specific skills a conditional way in even if they don't match the general catchment criteria.

Personally I don't think it will be 10+ (although I am not an expert) years before people who applied using the SAP will be dealt with; I remember there was a long time in 2006 when nobody was getting visas whereas now things do seem to be moving at least.

I can see that Andrew has an interest in the pessimistic view as the SAP has to be bad for the consulting business; filling in the forms is the easy bit and maybe not many people are going to need help with it. Saying this, if I didn't have PR already I'd still be taking his advice and finding a job first as even 4 years is a ridiculous time to wait.

Alan
Yes Alan - your idea is better - and is the way the Australian Government does it and it is working pretty well. When we submit our consultation to Ottawa we'll go with your points allocation.....
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:46 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole thing scares the living crap out of me.......

We have skills, we have experience, we have motivation.......

We have the points and a job.....

If some dude somewhere in the government decides at the11th hour of SW application that actually we don't have enough points all we can do is say it wasn't meant to be.

I think it's an absoloute minefield to work your way through and if you have a job it should be much more straight forward for sure. In fact it should be like it was in Australia years ago where they were asking you to come lol! Full of bloody criminals anyway (I will now duck behind my laptop and await incoming lol)

A very overwhelmed (and I am sure I am not the only one)
Mrs Miggins x
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Paul1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Paul is correct - current law makes any change in pass mark to be applied retroactively to all still pending applications:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2002-227/sec77.html

It was already legally challenged quite few times and every time courts upheld this rule.
The simplified process applicants will not be affected though.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Full of bloody criminals anyway (I will now duck behind my laptop and await incoming lol)
Not at all. I thought it was a very original thing to write.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi!

I know from what my lawyer says, that if you have a sensible amount of money to go over with this really boost your application. it just proves you can really support yourselves for the first six months.

If you are selling your house and have been left with a decent deposit then this will tip over your 67 points.

I really recommend a lawyer in Canada it's not that expensive. We use PanCanadan, listed on the immigration web site. I regularly keep in contact with him via email.

I will ask him if there any changes about to be made.

Good luck!

Angela
Old Jul 20th 2007, 9:35 pm

I'm sorry but this is just an irresponsible and totally B.S. comment made by your lawyer - no amount of money can "tip over your 67 points".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.